House Price Crash Forum

Russians Spend 28% Less In Uk Shops

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30869979

The UK's hotels and shops saw spending by Russians fall 28% last year largely thanks to the plunge in the rouble.

The findings, from tax-free experts Global Blue, are another illustration of the extent to which the fall in the rouble is curtailing rich Russians' ability to travel and spend.

A 50% fall in the value of the Russian currency means foreign spending is twice as expensive for them.

Some of the shortfall was made up by Hong Kong shoppers, who spent 9% more.

Russians had been among the top five biggest-spending non-EU tourists in the UK, but have now fallen out of the top ten.

Global Blue, which introduced the concept of tax-free shopping 30 years ago, processes 80% of all such spending in the UK.

An almost immediate impact it seems on their shopping.

HOLA442

An almost immediate impact it seems on their shopping.

Funny you should say that.

I wrote to my friend in Kazan to see how she was doing and got this in the mail:

"Hi John. Yes, we are having crisis, so people have changed old cars for new, got a number of tvs, fridges etc. now they can relax for some time."

HOLA443

i saw a news article on ch4 news about the indian holday resort of Goa and how this year they are really struggling as the usual wave of russian winter holiday makers hadn't turned up.

They were hoping that its just a one off amd they'll be back next year.

I imagine Courcheval will be having a lean winter season this year too & the red sea resorts.

HOLA444

i saw a news article on ch4 news about the indian holday resort of Goa and how this year they are really struggling as the usual wave of russian winter holiday makers hadn't turned up.

They were hoping that its just a one off amd they'll be back next year.

I imagine Courcheval will be having a lean winter season this year too & the red sea resorts.

That is what happens when only 1% can afford a holiday......such is progress. ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Ukrainian Travel Agency Shutdown, Major Hit for Greek Tourism

link

Ukrainian travel agency “News Travel,” which used to provide services to 120,000 Ukrainian tourists per year, organizing trips to 31 destinations, has shut down. Several popular Greek destinations such as Crete, Halkidiki, Corfu, Rhodes and Kos were included in the agency’s travel packages.

The first worrying sign appeared when the travel bookings to Greece dropped by 60% over the course of last summer. In 2013, around 250,000 Ukrainian tourists visited Greece, however their numbers were significantly lower in 2014.

This will be the second hit for Greek tourism, after it suffered a major loss last summer due to the fact that many Russian tour operators were also forced to shut down.

These sanctions are really working.