House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

The Last Victorian Dies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-30845570

Ethel Lang was believed to be the last person living in the UK who was born in the reign of Queen Victoria.

Mrs Lang was born in the Worsbrough area of Barnsley on 27 May 1900 and lived in the South Yorkshire mining town all her life.

In 2005, she moved into the Water Royd House nursing home in Barnsley, where she died on Thursday. Mrs Lang is survived by a 91-year-old daughter.

One hell of an innings.

Perhaps the government should peg the state pension age to the oldest living person of any given year shuffling off their mortal coil less 25 years. So in this instance state pension for every person 89 years or over and for everybody else it's back to work.

At least the lady got out more than she put in. If I make it to 68 I'll be happy... 80+ just isn't for me.

Perhaps the government should peg the state pension age to the oldest living person of any given year shuffling off their mortal coil less 25 years. So in this instance state pension for every person 89 years or over and for everybody else it's back to work.

At least the lady got out more than she put in. If I make it to 68 I'll be happy... 80+ just isn't for me.

You won't be saying that when you are 60.....I have met people aged 80 and looking at them you would never guess, look and act far younger, one still climbs steep hills walking for hours, another still goes into work everyday, not known them to have a day off sick.

My grandfather was from that era! He died recently in 1970!

The last oldest woman lived in East London...pollution central, and I doubt Barnsley is known for its healthy backdrop.

Just goes to show genes are far more important than environment...not that the big drug companies will ever admit to that.

The last oldest woman lived in East London...pollution central, and I doubt Barnsley is known for its healthy backdrop.

Just goes to show genes are far more important than environment...not that the big drug companies will ever admit to that.

Barnsley has the coalfield, but is also on the doorstep of rural Yorkshire. I imagine the water must be good: nearby Sheffield was incomparably better than anything in the south (including the soft-water southwest). I wonder how old she was when she got mod-cons like hot&cold running water in the house: it's quite likely she might already have been of pensionable age when that became the norm in working-class areas! And (especially with it being a poor area) most of her life will not have been blighted by car culture.

Might the common story be people who have never moved away from their roots: the traditional working-class community? Low levels of rat-race stress.

I don't know that it says that. This lady is clearly an statistical blip. Your assertion might be true in her case, but I don't think that means it's universally the case.

Barnsley has the coalfield, but is also on the doorstep of rural Yorkshire. I imagine the water must be good: nearby Sheffield was incomparably better than anything in the south (including the soft-water southwest). I wonder how old she was when she got mod-cons like hot&cold running water in the house: it's quite likely she might already have been of pensionable age when that became the norm in working-class areas! And (especially with it being a poor area) most of her life will not have been blighted by car culture.

Might the common story be people who have never moved away from their roots: the traditional working-class community? Low levels of rat-race stress.

I think they call it burnout.......cheaper to run over the longer term.

My grandad was born in 1879! I saw some old pictures of him at Christmas, with my sister! He looks a bit like me, but I am much taller! I think houses were smaller then, or maybe not! ^_^

My grandad was born in 1879! I saw some old pictures of him at Christmas, with my sister! He looks a bit like me, but I am much taller! I think houses were smaller then, or maybe not! ^_^

103469_56a394a3.jpg

That appears to be the modern sized house that I live in!

If you visit a model village, that's an accurate representation of the village it's located in, never ever look for the model village, of the model village, in the model village, or the model village in the model village that's in the model village etc. You will be sucked into a time vortex and imprisoned in the model village forever.