House Price Crash Forum

Offer Accepted

HOLA441

Hi everybody,

I have posted here before about the wish of Mrs Starcrossed to buy. I have held off for as long as I could but it was doing our relationship serious harm so I agreed that we would start looking at houses.

Well, we have had an offer accepted on a two-bed house in a 'nice' part of Exeter.

I agreed to it because it ticks all the boxes and we can pay in cash. So for the first time in my life I have no debts and never intend to have any again.

Left to myself I would not have bought for 3 years because I think we are in for 30% falls.

To all you FTBs (and everybody else!) I hope that prices do drop by this amount and you will be able to afford the house you want.

And I am going nowhere, BTW, I will be shorting the housing market to 'keep my hand in'.

See you on these boards!

PS Rather shamefully, the offer accepted was 96% of the asking price (I would never have done that if I needed to use the bank's money)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Its easy for me, as my Mrs is a firm HPC acolyte, in fact if I waver she tells me to pull myself together. I think that now that SIPPS have gone, the bottom will fall out of the 1-2 bed flat market in the new year (signs of that already) and everything else will follow.

However, whatever you'd save on a HPC starcrossed, it wouldn't be enough to cover the costs of a divorce!

HOLA445

So many women just don't seem to care as long as they are a home owner.

But not all women.

I do accept that this is probably part of the nesting instinct even if that isn't a PC term.

Basically women still want to make a home that they can have children in and I guess there remains a stigma attached to renting / bringing up children in rented accomodation.

By the way, I am not making any assumptions about why Mrs Starcrossed wanted to buy.

I assume Mrs Starcrossed has already seen this site and all these arguments exhausted so I just hope things work out for you.

At the end of the day, as an owner occupier, property prices only ever really matter when you're buying or selling.

Good luck with the new house Starcrossed.

HOLA446

Hi everybody,

I have posted here before about the wish of Mrs Starcrossed to buy. I have held off for as long as I could but it was doing our relationship serious harm so I agreed that we would start looking at houses.

You relationship comes first......and you realised it....so in that sense you did the right thing, hope your very happy in your new home :)

HOLA447

Thanks folks.

Mrs SC has not so much seen the site as heard the arguments from me again and again. I can't say I haven't tried!

I will continue to look at this site regardless of any major interest in the housing market because I have learnt a lot here and also met some really interesting and good people. Long may that continue.

Oh, and TTRTR - <hangs head> I know, I know. ;)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Hi everybody,

Well, we have had an offer accepted on a two-bed house in a 'nice' part of Exeter.

I agreed to it because it ticks all the boxes and we can pay in cash. So for the first time in my life I have no debts and never intend to have any again.

Left to myself I would not have bought for 3 years because I think we are in for 30% falls.

To all you FTBs (and everybody else!) I hope that prices do drop by this amount and you will be able to afford the house you want.

And I am going nowhere, BTW, I will be shorting the housing market to 'keep my hand in'.

See you on these boards!

PS Rather shamefully, the offer accepted was 96% of the asking price (I would never have done that if I needed to use the bank's money)

Ah well never mind Starcrossed, as one of us flies the nest another will enter the bear pit, i wish you and mrs s all the best . will miss your cool avatar popping up though,incidently where did it come from........

HOLA4412

At the end of the day, as an owner occupier, property prices only ever really matter when you're buying or selling.

This is true - and if you are selling and buying something else, it doesn't really matter (since you won't be in negative equity having bought cash) as whatever market you are selling in you will be buying in as well..

The stage of the house price cycle we are at at any given time is only of major importance to FTBs & people selling but not buying....it is important, but less important to upsizers and downsizers.

You weighed up the pros and cons of 1) buying now when you knew you could (assuming a HPC) do better financially by waiting a bit, and 2) putting off buying for the (assuming a HPC) financial gain but at the expense of your wife's contentment.

Good luck in your new home!

HOLA4413

Ah well never mind Starcrossed, as one of us flies the nest another will enter the bear pit, i wish you and mrs s all the best . will miss your cool avatar popping up though,incidently where did it come from........

The avatar? It is 'Dream' from the Sandman series of graphic novels - thanks to liquid for the heads up on that one!

BTW I quite like the image of bears flying the nest, it sounds like a Larson cartoon.

Edited by Starcrossed

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

congrats on finding a place Starcrossed. Relationships are all about compromise: what you give up you get back many times over (if it's right).

Perhaps this is a good place to ask folks about a list I have been compliling, which, I have to admit has the working title "HPC Turncoats" - yeah, I know that sounds a little prickly - it's not meant to. I think somebody else coined it and it was short and descriptive... hell, look, I'm doing a sh!te job of defending myself, so here's the list, okay. Any errors and additions, please be so kind as to inform me:

Starcrossed

Dec 08 2005

Group: VIP Member

Member No.: 127

Offer Accepted

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=20281

twinkle

Oct 20 2005

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,809

Capitulated, Stone me

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=17709

tatty

18th October 05

Member No.: 1,465

Just Thrown £45k In The Bin Me Thinks...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=17622

right_freds_dead - actually changed his mind - I think

Sep 27 2005

Member No.: 1,333

Im Putting In An Offer..., turncoats abound

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...16304&hl=buying

dipstick

(actually a small parcel of land)

Sep 27 2005

Member No.: 2,211

I've Bought!, Don't pick on me

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...16289&hl=buying

THE MONKEY

Sep 10 2005

Group: VIP Member

From: One of the top 10 places to live in the country, according to the gorgeous Kirsty Allsopp

Member No.: 99

Finally......., The Monkey has bought a house!

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=15340

PS: this isn't a first against the wall list or anything....

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

What a disgusting attitude.

Truth can be unpleasant or even disgusting. Take for example the ingredients to a tesco sausage.

Unpalatable does not make untrue. On splitting with my girlfriend of 6 yrs she tried to get half our house and half of my existing place too.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Well, it's your business and your marriage.

Funny, my wife is very happy renting at the moment. We have two kids, two cats and an occasional dog. A home is the people in it - not the bricks and mortar surrounding the people. If you walk into 100 houses I guarantee that 99% will all look basically the same.

Anyway - paying cash! What on earth are you paying 96% for? Your vendors must think they have died and gone to heaven.

HOLA4425

Anyway - paying cash! What on earth are you paying 96% for? Your vendors must think they have died and gone to heaven.

I know. As I said, I wouldn't be as footloose with a mortgage.

I guess factors that pushed us to do that included:

It was a house we both liked (and, as I say, could afford)

It is vacant, no chain

And we think it was actually on for a reasonable price in the first place

My HPC credentials made the % of the asking price the hardest part of the deal to accept but in the end I/we decided to go for it.

Edited by Starcrossed