Artic Blast To Kill One Person Every 7 Minutes

One person every minutes..... shocking!

Let's just double check though:

That's:

8.57 per hour.

205.71 per day

1,440 per week.

74,880 per year.

Now given that ~ 500,000 people die annually this isn't actually a very large number.

Also I strongly suspect it's completely made up anyway.

HOLA443

Heh.

Someone should send those reporters to somewhere with a bit more winter than us.

Doesn't have to be the genuinely cold: Russia, Scandinavia, Canada. Nor even central Europe or the US. Could be as far south as the Med once you're inland and (especially) on higher ground. And there you have the added consideration that the houses are built for coolness, 'cos the heat of summer is worse than the cold of winter.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Problem is that Brits live in badly insulated homes and most Brits seem to dress very poorly for the winter.

The problem is that you never know from one day to the next what the British weather will do, regardless of the season. In Scandinavia they build houses fit for the cold, in southern Spain they build houses fit for the heat. What are we supposed to do exactly? Our houses are sort of insulated.

HOLA447
HOLA448

One person every minutes..... shocking!

Let's just double check though:

That's:

8.57 per hour.

205.71 per day

1,440 per week.

74,880 per year.

Now given that ~ 500,000 people die annually this isn't actually a very large number.

Also I strongly suspect it's completely made up anyway.

A lot of old people die in the depths of winter anyway. Both my FIL and Mr B's old aunt died in January, and they were both in super-heated care homes. Something to do with the life force being at its lowest ebb, or so I've read somewhere. And quite frankly, a demise from hypothermia a few years earlier would probably have been more merciful for both of them.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

A lot of old people die in the depths of winter anyway. Both my FIL and Mr B's old aunt died in January, and they were both in super-heated care homes. Something to do with the life force being at its lowest ebb, or so I've read somewhere. And quite frankly, a demise from hypothermia a few years earlier would probably have been more merciful for both of them.

Flu? Lack of Vitamin D?

Those rich old actors all seem to live to their 90s in super dry hot Palm Springs.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The will to live works better when there are decent daylight hours. And other summery things, like lots of green in the trees, and a lively dawn chorus.

It would be interesting to see a rural-vs-urban breakdown of these patterns. If it's primarily about having something to live for, you'd expect Londoners - with a stupendous range of music, theatre, arts, etc on their doorstep - to be relatively better off in winter, while people out in our National Parks would show big seasonal effects.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The will to live works better when there are decent daylight hours. And other summery things, like lots of green in the trees, and a lively dawn chorus.

It would be interesting to see a rural-vs-urban breakdown of these patterns. If it's primarily about having something to live for, you'd expect Londoners - with a stupendous range of music, theatre, arts, etc on their doorstep - to be relatively better off in winter, while people out in our National Parks would show big seasonal effects.

In some ways it can be easier to get out in the sun - if there is any - in cities anyway, if there are parks nearby. It's easier for us to go for a long walk here, in SW London, than it is with friends in Devon who live down a steep, narrow lane that's like a quagmire in winter, with no pavements and the odd idiot boy racer whooshing past.

Today Mr B and I spent a lovely sunny couple of hours wandering round the Wetlands Centre at Barnes - you might be in the countryside. Ditto much of Richmond Park, once you're away from the perimeter road and the car parks.

HOLA4416

I stopped reading the article after having scrolled down to the photograph with the caption "A man struggles through a blizzard as he returns to his car...."

It's absolutely laughable! Call that a 'blizzard'??!! I mean you can still see his ankles. Ask a Yank, a Canadian, Scandinavian or indeed even a mainland European what a blizzard is. Show them that photo and they'd likely p*ss themsleves laughing.

As 'news' articles go this one is a waste of bandwidth.

HOLA4417

Organically-generated internal heat is always the best.

Would you like an artichoke soup?

That sounds as nice as my bottom!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Was certain is was going to be the Daily Express!

We Brits are suckers for a weather story. Snow outside mine!

We have no snow here! I am hearing ducks! God got these right! Maybe there will be tiny ducks soon?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Not like '63 then.

No doubt if we got hit by that sort of real winter weather the Mail would then move on to other melodramatic stories and headlines, such as "House Prices to Soar 3000% by Summer" (you know, due to pent up demand etc from people stuck indoors just waiting to get out and start house buying again once spring time comes.....)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

During one cold spell (cold for here) a friend was sick to death of an Aussie and a S African at work moaning non stop about the weather - had they expected Med temps or what?

Luckily there was also someone from the frozen north in the office, Sweden or Finland, who finally shut them up with, 'You call this cold? You want to see winters where I come from.'

Archived