House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Fobbed Off By Amazon

I purchased a jacket in May 2014 and after a couple of washes the zip broke. It had been worn a few times only and visually it appears as new. I contacted the seller and they said I needed to return it within 15 days. Amazon advised to submit an A-Z claim only for the claim to be rejected as it had to made in the first 3 months. Amazon advised to do a charge back. So I contacted MBNA (previously an Amazon card) and they advised the charge back had to be done within 90 days. So I contacted Amazon again and they wrote this :

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you had with the item.

I can see that your order XXXXXXXXXXXXX was placed with a Seller on Amazon Marketplace. Items ordered via Amazon Marketplace aren’t directly fulfilled by Amazon.

Purchases through Amazon.co.uk Marketplace work slightly differently from those through our retail store.

Orders on the Marketplace platform are strictly between the buyer and the Seller and Amazon.co.uk isn’t directly involved in these orders and isn't an agent on behalf of either the Seller or buyer.

Please do note that, you can file a claim under our A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee claim up to 90 days after the order date if:

1) You provided payment to the seller via Amazon Marketplace, but the seller failed to deliver the item.
2) You received the item, but it was materially different than as depicted in the seller's description.
3) The item was defective and you notified the seller within 14 days of receipt.

In this case, I can see the 90-day window in which to submit a claim has closed.

You can find full details of the Guarantee at the following page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3149571

I understand you're upset and I regret that we haven't been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

We won't be able to provide further assistance for your request.

We hope to see you again soon. Amazon.co.uk

As far as I'm concerned the product isn't fit for purpose. Is there anything else I can do ?

Thanks in advance.

...replace the zip.....not a too difficult job.......then you might get many hours pleasure out of it, or else it will be one jacket wasted. ;)

It's a difficult one because despite the fact you say you've only worn it a few months and it show minimal wear this would be difficult to prove. There has to be a reasonable cut off for clothing and footwear or retailers would be replacing new for old every few months. The fact you've purchased it and chosen only to wear it for a few months in irrelevant.

Unless it's a particularly good branded garment that prides it's reputation on quality, in which case the brand themselves may be happy to look at it for you, I don't think there is much you can do.

You’ve had it since May.

I can tell you as a seller, I have all kinds of chancers trying it on after a few months of hammering the crap out of product. Not saying that is this is the case here, but if sellers had 6months+ returns, they’d be out of business in a couple of months.

FBA / marketplace is a pretty tough place to do business and amazon will favour the buyer more often than not. Sellers have to respond well, if they don’t amazon will come down on them and once you’re done and you’re off amazon you’re off for ever.

If it was an expensive item get it repaired, if not it was most likely a fashion item not designed to last more than 6 months anyway.

Did you follow the garment's washing instructions exactly? Be honest.

One bar under the temperature tub means a lower spin speed, two bars means a more gentle wash setting.

Me? I didn't know what they meant until I looked them up from my own coat's label just now. And now that I know what they mean, I'm still going to throw it in a standard wash with everything else and accept the consequences. It's the man's way!

It's just the reality that with the lower cost online options you are foregoing aftersales. If you'd bought in a bricks and mortar outfit like M&S or John Lewis I'm sure exchanging would have been straightforward.

With the online market places like ebay or Amazon their own rules have become the new sale of goods as far as buying on them is concerned As others have said though they're an absolute piss takers charter that massively favours customers and you'll get lost amongst the sea of chancers. The other thing is even if the seller had replaced or refunded the chances of you becoming a long term customer of theirs, particularly when they're buried behind Amazon branding, is low.

Ironically a lot of people buy on ebay or Amazon because of the protection for buyers, and a lot enjoy the potential opportunity for a good feedback rant also but, I think, provided it's a legit company you are much better off buying direct from their own website in terms of the aftersales you are likely to receive. Paying by paypal, if an option, gives near the same protection.

This is the problem with online purchases. It`s great until you need to return a product then the gains made from lower pricing is cancelled out, and more. Buying clothing can be a minefield unless its a tried and tested brand and a tried and tested size.

Buying over the counter locally gives you more scope to return, and speak to a real person, without having to jump through hoops. If buying online I believe its not reasonable to expect to return something after several months, even if an item hasn`t been worn much. There just has to be a cut off point.

This is the problem with online purchases. It`s great until you need to return a product then the gains made from lower pricing is cancelled out, and more. Buying clothing can be a minefield unless its a tried and tested brand and a tried and tested size.

Buying over the counter locally gives you more scope to return, and speak to a real person, without having to jump through hoops. If buying online I believe its not reasonable to expect to return something after several months, even if an item hasn`t been worn much. There just has to be a cut off point.

I thought this, up until a friend of mine put me straight. I hate clothes shopping, particularly in the sales. Rummaging through miles of shite on sales racks to try to find the very occasional bargain is grim.

Anyways, my mate told me to try what he does - buys all his clothes from the House of Fraser online sales (pretty much on all the time), gets them free delivery and just drop whatever you don't want back to HoF. So I tried it and I'll never go back to shopping in store now.

I've been ordering £200-500 of clothes each month for the last 4 months, trying all the stuff on and picking out what I want (usually £50-100 worth) and taking the rest back for an instant refund. No crowds, no hassle, no parking, no sales people, no smelly changing rooms. Just me (and my mrs. for an honest opinion) in my bedroom trying clothes on.

It's come a long way from where it used to be.

Edit: Just one more thing to add - when you shop online you have access to the entire range of clothes sold. When I return the unwanted items 8/10 of them are items that aren't stocked in my local HoF. That's a big advantage when you live firmly in the provinces and don't really have access to a big, or flagship type store.

One of my reps is astonished at some of the cr@p I get from customers and says there's no way they'd try and take something back to a shop the way they send it back to me. I've had some disgusting stuff back where a customer has suggested it was the item they bought from me two weeks earlier only it looks like they've worn and washed it for the last year.

I've had a customer last week who ripped the tags off and wash labels off and then decided it was too big. I couldnt even tell what size came back yet she claimed that's how i'd sent it and she ended up getting her money back.

I always try and help with returns on faults but there are some real pi$$ takers! as someone else said.

I've just opened up retail space so it will I interesting to see the difference from customers.

I always try and help with returns on faults but there are some real pi$$ takers! as someone else said.

I've just opened up retail space so it will I interesting to see the difference from customers.

My GF of many years ago, would not accept trousers that have been crapped in, at the dry cleaners!

My GF of many years ago, would not accept trousers that have been crapped in, at the dry cleaners!

Probably, the chemicals they use caused it.

Anyway, why didn't you stop going to the dry cleaners if it was making you crap your trousers, or did you work there, or something?

If you are really fond of the jacket, get the zip replaced as per winkie's suggestion. Shouldn't cost more than about £20. I've successfully revived a 20 year old Goretex jacket that way. If it's not worth more than £20, I humbly suggest that's the source of your problem.

I'm afraid most clothes unless you paid a lot for them are complete crap nowadays. I remember buying a pair of cords from Zara. Within six months two of the belt hoops had snapped and the knees had nearly worn out. i have a pair of Levi jeans still doing good service for decorating, gardening etc more than twenty years later, and I bought them second hand then.

Learn how to sew - every HPC tinfoil-hat-ray-mears-survivalist must know this skill.

Perhaps I could create a Youtube video on the basics....

If you are really fond of the jacket, get the zip replaced as per winkie's suggestion. Shouldn't cost more than about £20. I've successfully revived a 20 year old Goretex jacket that way. If it's not worth more than £20, I humbly suggest that's the source of your problem.

I'm afraid most clothes unless you paid a lot for them are complete crap nowadays. I remember buying a pair of cords from Zara. Within six months two of the belt hoops had snapped and the knees had nearly worn out. i have a pair of Levi jeans still doing good service for decorating, gardening etc more than twenty years later, and I bought them second hand then.

I think this is the botttom line. I get good quality stuff from charity shops, pre-tested, so I know there is good chance of it not falling apart / shrinking on first wash.

I have taken on the point that the item isn't worth much effort but I do object to the suggestion that sellers would go broke if they replaced defective goods. As far as I'm concerned it's the sellers responsibility to provide goods which are fit for purpose. If I was so inclined what could I do now ? Actually intend to do nothing,it isn't worth it. I have left an awful review of the product which is highlighted as the top bad review. However,just out of curiosity I wondered where I stand legally. I don't see how it's acceptable for Amazon to hide behind T&C's.

Really chuffed with my last weeks CS bargain..... A pair of Mark 1 cotton traders jeans, circa 2000....the cotton is thick and strong with some weight to it, nice even fading, long pockets and zip. Compared to the latest similar jeans they now sell the difference is pronounced.

I have taken on the point that the item isn't worth much effort but I do object to the suggestion that sellers would go broke if they replaced defective goods. As far as I'm concerned it's the sellers responsibility to provide goods which are fit for purpose. If I was so inclined what could I do now ? Actually intend to do nothing,it isn't worth it. I have left an awful review of the product which is highlighted as the top bad review. However,just out of curiosity I wondered where I stand legally. I don't see how it's acceptable for Amazon to hide behind T&C's.

What should amazon do though? I can't really see where you're coming from. As an aside - amazon generally have outstanding customer service.

Probably come under the Limitations Act:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

What should amazon do though? I can't really see where you're coming from. As an aside - amazon generally have outstanding customer service.

Yes if you buy from a third party seller you are not buying from Amazon, they are just acting as the payment processor much like PayPal do for ebay.

Change your username to Ill_get_over_it.