House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Beagle 2 Found On Mars

So close but yet so far....

Sad that the brains behind the project Colin Pillinger never lived to see how close he had come to making history..

If Beagle had worked it would have sent the first Hi-Res pictures back of the red planet. NASA Curiosity was not able to achieve this till some 9 years later.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Pillinger

Such a shame for the team behind the project. Still, you have to try.

Sad thing was that the leader of the project died last year (Colin Pillinger). I think it would have been some consolation that it made it to the surface OK and the landing to all intents and purposes worked. After all there is always a bit of a lottery in the landing. For example it could have come down on a rock and ended up being flipped over.

Sad thing was that the leader of the project died last year (Colin Pillinger). I think it would have been some consolation that it made it to the surface OK and the landing to all intents and purposes worked. After all there is always a bit of a lottery in the landing. For example it could have come down on a rock and ended up being flipped over.

Mars in their Eyes is a collation (by Pillinger) of about 700 cartoons drawn over the years about Man's attempts to get to the Red Planet, most of them about Beagle 2. It's the catalog to an exhibition. Quite amusing if your into that sort of thing.

Where else would it have been found?

I read the BBC article re the inquiry. Seemed to report that the budget was too small for the project to ever work.

Sounds like from the write up it came very close, and that the reason it didn't was because the radio aerial was beneath one of the petals that failed to unfurl.

Unlucky.

So close, so much closer than expected. Considering the success rate of Mars missions isn't high the team should still feel they deserve a pat on the back, not that they might feel much like it (and Colin Pillenger will never know).

I read the BBC article re the inquiry. Seemed to report that the budget was too small for the project to ever work.

Working on a budget means you have little give by way of redundancy packages. Most of the NASA stuff has back-up systems but that's what you get when you spend 20+ times as much.

I feel some sense of closure (although it's not clear whether the airbags successfully brought it to a controlled halt). I worked on temperature cycling of components on the PAW and it would be interesting to know whether they still function after 11 years (the mission length was only a few days). I doubt I'll ever get closure on that.

I reckon the batteries fell out, when it landed a bit hard, like my remote control, for whatever it is, it should work! :blink:

Had a few beers and thought it said 2 beagles found on Mars. :/

Smoking behind the bike shed?

I reckon the batteries fell out, when it landed a bit hard, like my remote control, for whatever it is, it should work! :blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

Smoking behind the bike shed?

Dogging, I think

They are treating this as some kind of success now - typical British attitude. We crashed a bit of metal on Mars - aren't we clever?

Surely it is not that difficult to aim a frocket at Mars and crash something on it? The difficult thing is landing something without crashing - which they failed to do.

They are treating this as some kind of success now - typical British attitude. We crashed a bit of metal on Mars - aren't we clever?

Surely it is not that difficult to aim a frocket at Mars and crash something on it? The difficult thing is landing something without crashing - which they failed to do.

What is a frocket? It sounds kinky.