House Price Crash Forum

Real Labour. A Dream

SarahBell

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/14/labour-party-dreams-poorer-people-left-choice-polls

Interesting article

A talisman of this is higher bands of council tax, perhaps savagely higher.

Real Labour would not abandon a bedroom tax but would see it as a sensible basis for redistributing housing assistance to those who really need it, not to those who inherited a need that has expired.

Real Labour would support higher rents for more space, in the public sector as in the private. Indeed, the neediest now tend to rent privately, awash in “bedroom taxes”.

HOLA442

Some interesting points.

I lot of people (peter schiff types) seem to think the american tax system that you have to pay US income tax wherever you are or surrender your citizenship is wrong. Personally I dont see the problem.

How many hundreds of thousands(millions?) of british people go to work in Saudi, Dubai, US, Switzerland etc, pay little or no tax, then come back to the UK to use the NHS when they get old and sick.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Nothing in there about housing - but not surprising from arch-NIMBY multiple house owner, 'let them live in spare rooms' Simon Jenkins

Yup. Chairman of the national trust.

The bedroom tax is as stupid as the mansion tax. Mirror images of stupidity. Simple, 5 year tenancies in social housing would beat the bedroom tax hands down.

HOLA447
HOLA448

How many hundreds of thousands(millions?) of british people go to work in Saudi, Dubai, US, Switzerland etc, pay little or no tax, then come back to the UK to use the NHS when they get old and sick.

One thing I wouldn't want to do in life is use the NHS if I am old and sick.