House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dannyg2325

Help! Had House Built, Poor Quality? Need Surveyor?

Hi all,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.....

I had a contractor build a house for me (friend of family ?) which was a disaster from day one. But long story short, it has cost a fortune and to be honest I feel is poor quality.

What I asked for was a well insulated air tight home, what I got is a house that is draughty feeling and damn hard to heat!

What I'm hoping to find is maybe a independent surveyor of sorts that will assess the house and tell me if in fact the work has been carried out to a reasonable standard ect?!?

Anyone know what/who I am looking for??

Many thanks

Danny

A surveyor!!! you should also have paid NHBC who come round at certain stages of the new build to check and offer a warranty,and your local building inspector should have been round at certain stages,if its not up to scratch they wont sign it off and you wont be able to if you wanted to sell it,

Yep signed off with both NHBC and building control. The contractor would be right an friendly with the building control officer too.

I think the likes of insulation being poorly fitted ect is what's contributing to the problem.

So it's a surveyor I'm after then?

if the insulation was poorly fitted,then it would not pass the building controls U ratings,you need to get BC back and ask them for advice,Ive just done a garage conversion they were very strict with insulation as its the flavour of the month,ive also done a new build, again,t has to be fitted right else no sign off.......look at the calcs you or your mate submitted to BC

I really don't know, on paper the house is great. We had our as built sap done along with the epc, which scored 98 I think and 115 on environmental.

So building control were happy enough with that, but in reality it means damn all!

And to be honest I don't ever recall bc coming to inspect insulation. He was more concerned on the structural side of things. He never even looked near the plumbing, just asked for the plumber to sign it off. So to me he's not much to go by ?

Could be something simple like lack of loft insulation (especially in eaves or areas that are hard to access. Could be air locks or stuck valves in the heating system. Maybe there is a simple draft or drafts from somewhere. Could be that he cut corners. If it's signed off your best bet is a surveyor but most will make some excuse and not want to get involved. If you have excluded the obvious you need to talk to the builder and failing that raise it with NHBC. I am starting a build and spent time getting personal recommendations for the builder, I am asking for NHBC and will watch them like a hawk, hopefully it goes well. I mention the points above as my last house was a nice box and it took me several years but I resolved all the issues without spending much.

Re: draughts - I know that new developments these days have to have a certain % of the plots tested for air tightness - they basically put a big fan in, tape over vents etc. and measure the drop in pressure.

One off dwellings will be exempt from this unless they are a very large floor area. Instead the builder is allowed to follow the 'robust details' which are drawings of every conceivable junction between wall/ floor/ roof etc showing good practice - this is probably where the NHBC come in.

Might be worth trying to find a small air test company who could give you a test/ report for a few hundred quid. Don't know if they can do that now it is occupied and been passed for habitation?