House Price Crash Forum

Charity Scroungers

Byron

HOLA441

In the past 6 weeks I have had Air Ambulance Wales, The Red Cross and now Tenovus call at my house in an attempt to get me to sign a monthly standing order from between £3 and £10 .

Just how much money do they think I have?

Also, I was watching TV and an Oxfam advert came on saying 'Text Kit to xxxx to make a £3 donation so we can buy simple washing soaps etc. for the victims of the Ebola crisis.'

So I did.

That was followed by 4 phone calls to persuade me to sign a standing order.

I don't mind throwing loose change in a collectors tin, but this is getting too much.

What do others think?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

OP has unfortunately experienced what is common knowledge in charities. If you make a one off donation, you are statistically far more likely to donate again if quickly asked than if they leave it a while. Oxfam have been doing this for years - and it clearly works otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it.

Trouble is that a few coins in a tin is unpredictable and often small income which makes it difficult to both plan and run longer term projects. Plus, of course, you - as the donor - have no idea how the small change you gave is spent because you'll likely get no follow up communications at all.

HOLA446
Guest TheBlueCat

My standard response before I moved to Canada was to say that I'm a Fundaligionist and it's against my faith to give to charities and, whats more, I would make a complaint to the police about harassment if they didn't leave immediately. Of course I would never do that but the sad part was that I'm pretty sure the police would have been all over it if I had.

Before anyone accuses me of being a miser, I do in fact give to a couple of different charities but I never, ever donate via a 3rd party (e.g. door to door chuggers like the ones described) as that means that they wouldn't actually get most of the money.

HOLA447

I don't understand these ones where they need money to dig a well. Has it never occurred to the local populace to dig a well, if that's all there is to it?

HOLA448

You tight b*stard! :)

Only kidding. Generally I don't give much to charity as I don't have much. Might do the odd phone donation on a special occasion. I prefer to get involved directly if I feel deeply about something...every cause needs volunteers/time etc.

P

That's a very nice thought Jesus, and I also agree with SarahBell. I bought a pastie, sandwiches, and some dog food for a lost gentleman outside a supermarket once. This was back in the day when tramps were british and had dogs! Fear not, for I also got some paper plates, a tin opener, and some cutlery. I thought he might spend money on "crack", so he didn't get any!

HOLA449

Have I taught you nothing?? If you gave him a tin of sardines and a bloomer him and his mates could have eaten for a week :(

P

Wasn't that just a "metaphor" for sharing, rather than another crappy "miracle"? ;)

HOLA4410

There's one money saving tip, that I'm surprised has been overlooked by thrifty HPCers, that will bring in substantially larger savings than cycling to a german discounter, for your groceries, and that is becoming a sociopath.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

There's one money saving tip, that I'm surprised has been overlooked by thrifty HPCers, that will bring in substantially larger savings than cycling to a german discounter, for your groceries, and that is becoming a sociopath.

Men who take more selfies have higher than average traits of narcissism and psychopathy, a study from academics at Ohio State University.

---

Start taking selfies.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Had quite a few "walking away" run ins with Chuggers in Euston Road in my time.

Dicks.

Now I that I am "Thomas", your name shall be "Dick"! :D

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Standard closedown technique for a chugger :

Ask them how much the CEO / MD of their charity is on?

- if they say they don't know, raise your eyebrows and say "you don't seriously expect me to donate?!?!"

- if they tell you an amount, say "that's far more than I earn, go and tap them up..."

walk away....

They shall be on my "amazing troughers" web page

HOLA4418

I was in the charity game for a while. Got pretty good at it and the money was great. I used to believe I knew the difference between right and wrong but getting involved with charities and fund raisers changed that. The people involved obsess over money. (Not to take anything away from those truly committed to a single cause.) Got offered a £30k job (late 90s) without interview because they knew I'd produce. That's when I quit. Was like walking out of prison knowing that I'd never return.

HOLA4419

Your mistake was texting without at least withholding your number (dammit, is that possible in this kind of text)?

Always preserve your anonymity when giving to charity. Even if you really do like one (or more) of them sufficiently to want to set up that standing order, you still need to avoid getting on to a charity circuit junkmail list.

The oldfashioned collecting tin is fine, provided the charity in question is acceptable. And charity boxes in shops are good: you can ask the proprietor what charity they collect for, and identify those worthy of your largesse for future reference, all without giving away information they might abuse.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I do give to charity, not often. The problem is that it's common knowledge now that all charity means is that there is no profit in the accountancy sense. Many are still milked for a small amount of people in a very corporate way.

HOLA4423

I do give to charity, giving to charity does not always mean giving money....but would never sign a DD mandate.

This week in the high street I saw someone collecting for a local cause that I wanted to give to....couldn't believe it, they didn't want my cash and couldn't take my cash, all they wanted was my bank details and my signature on a DD mandate....

HOLA4424

I do give to charity, giving to charity does not always mean giving money....but would never sign a DD mandate.

This week in the high street I saw someone collecting for a local cause that I wanted to give to....couldn't believe it, they didn't want my cash and couldn't take my cash, all they wanted was my bank details and my signature on a DD mandate....

Seems sensible to cut out the middle man...ie. chuggers (I think is the term?)

Anybody care to let on the chuggers commission...must be some ex chuggers on here.

HOLA4425

In talking about chuggers, it suddenly dawned on me charity mugger. A bit fick and slow.

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2014/07/30/its-a-mugs-game-tricks-of-a-charity-mugger/

Good looking guy and young female victim...that's about right...see this on Listergate, Nottingham, all the time.

edit answers my previous query..commission about 20%....£260,000 to chuggers for £1.2 million for charity.

Archived