House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Telephone Preference Service

Are you registered with it?
I was fairly certain we were - we changed number a while ago because of spam calls so I am 100% certain that first on the list would be getting us listed on the TPS website. I've just gone to report some marketing call and found we're not.

So I've had to register. For which they want the phone number, address and my name and email - and confirm it by email. I have given them their own email to spam me with though.

I'm sure you just used to put the number in.. but am more concerned that we appeared not registered at all with them.

I was registered with them and it used to work, but these days it doesn't, because it has no control over calls originating from overseas and that is where the majority now come from.

A new ex-directory number didn't work either, they call random numbers. The only thing that really works is to ditch the land line, or if you need it for broadband turn off the ringer and use your mobile for all contacts.

I was registered with them and it used to work, but these days it doesn't, because it has no control over calls originating from overseas and that is where the majority now come from.

A new ex-directory number didn't work either, they call random numbers. The only thing that really works is to ditch the land line, or if you need it for broadband turn off the ringer and use your mobile for all contacts.

We are registered with the TPS and get hardly any calls now. Maybe we've just been lucky - but we have been ex D for many years. In particular we used to be plagued with debt-help calls, mostly recorded, and never get any now. And this is the landline - I don't use my mobile much except when out. But I never dish out either phone number to anybody - if any shopping website demands a phone number (except M&S who I do trust not to pass it on) I make one up.

Would you check to see if you are still registered?

Would you check to see if you are still registered?

I know I'm not now having changed the number and not registering the new one.

Mobile phone with Kaspersky Mobile Security with call and text filters (free from Barclays) is the answer.

I work from home 2 days a week. I used to get dozens off unsolicited calls, mainly from overseas (marked 'international' on the phone which TPS has no control over.

After a bit of research I bought a 'refurbished' CPR call blocker for £35 off ebay. Its FANTASTIC! I rarely have any marketing calls now.

Highly recommended piece of kit.

Wee

FWIW, I get a lot more spam calls on the mobile (whose number is public and widely known) than on the 01 number (which is private, known only to very few, and used mostly for my dad's weekly call).

The 01 number used to be a landline, until I transferred it to VOIP when I moved house 20 months ago.

I have had about 6 call from British Gas this week to my mobile. How the hell they got that I don't know but it has pissed me off so much that I have started to mention fallatio during the last two calls

Yes we are registered. Usually 2 or 3 automated calls a day. We leave the ringer off, an answering machine catches genuine callers.

Who would genuinely call you? :wacko: .My dad was plagued by these calls, and I got him on TPS. It made some difference. :huh: Wasn't perfect though.

I have had about 6 call from British Gas this week to my mobile. How the hell they got that I don't know but it has pissed me off so much that I have started to mention fallatio during the last two calls

Do you know the Hindi word for that? :D

I believe your registration with TPS can lapse, so it's worth checking once a year or so, especially if you've started to get more calls recently.

NB: TPS doesn't prevent calls. All it can do is investigate spam calls, so if you are getting them, you need to report them to TPS or they won't know about.

Any reputable firm won't cold call a number that's on the TPS register, though some try to get round it by saying 'it's not a sales call, it's a survey,' or some other nonsense.

As mentioned, they can't do anything about non-UK calls. Going ex-directory is pointless as the numbers are randomly generated. The only way round it is to keep your answerphone on permanently. Cold callers won't leave messages and will just hang up, but genuine people will leave a message and if you're quick you can pick up before they hang up. Friends who call regularly will get to know this anyway.

I've been trying to get my elderly mother (who is plagued by silent calls and sales calls despite being TPS) to adopt this system, but she still thinks every call must be answered in person <_<

As mentioned, they can't do anything about non-UK calls. Going ex-directory is pointless as the numbers are randomly generated. The only way round it is to keep your answerphone on permanently. Cold callers won't leave messages and will just hang up, but genuine people will leave a message and if you're quick you can pick up before they hang up. Friends who call regularly will get to know this anyway.

I've occasionally had half of the automated ones (at least with the BT 1571 answerphone thingy), they seem to start talking automatically as soon as they think it's been answered. Caller display shows up plenty of numbers to ignore though.

Any reputable firm won't cold call a number that's on the TPS register, though some try to get round it by saying 'it's not a sales call, it's a survey,' or some other nonsense.

Quite why they'd do that is beyond me (although they do). Trying to get around people who are actively trying to avoid you is definitely going to result in a negative response to your call (same with websites that try to sneak around adblockers).

We've stopped paying for caller display since it stopped being free with BT. And because to read the numbers I need my reading glasses on which only happens when I'm at my desk.

I know you need it for the fancy phones to work though.

I believe your registration with TPS can lapse, so it's worth checking once a year or so, especially if you've started to get more calls recently.

NB: TPS doesn't prevent calls. All it can do is investigate spam calls, so if you are getting them, you need to report them to TPS or they won't know about.

Ah that is interesting as I've reported numbers via ICO since we've had this number. They've changed their site too I think cos now it says check you're on the TPS.

We've stopped paying for caller display since it stopped being free with BT. And because to read the numbers I need my reading glasses on which only happens when I'm at my desk.

Switch your number to a VOIP service[1] and that charge is one of many that just disappears.

[1] I use sipgate. Other providers are available.

Switch your number to a VOIP service[1] and that charge is one of many that just disappears.

[1] I use sipgate. Other providers are available.

Does that cost money?

I also cancelled when they started charging.....but after speaking to someone they have reinstated it and are not charging...worth asking.

Permanent number withheld and xdirectory, don't give out number on forms and applications unless trust the company will not forward or sell personal details to others.

Have not had problem with unsolicited junk and nuisance calls...

I also cancelled when they started charging.....but after speaking to someone they have reinstated it and are not charging...worth asking.

Permanent number withheld and xdirectory, don't give out number on forms and applications unless trust the company will not forward or sell personal details to others.

Ours is on a list with a name attached - I could ask for a new number I spose but suspect they're all bad!

Are you with BT?

I've been trying to get my elderly mother (who is plagued by silent calls and sales calls despite being TPS) to adopt this system, but she still thinks every call must be answered in person <_<

On another forum I have seen something called the True Call Nuisance Call Blocker highly recommended. This was in the context of people with dementia who are especially vulnerable, but it might be good for anyone plagued by nuisance calls. Don't have experience personally, but I think something of the sort has now been organised for a neighbour who was being fleeced of thousands by scam calls.

On another forum I have seen something called the True Call Nuisance Call Blocker highly recommended. This was in the context of people with dementia who are especially vulnerable, but it might be good for anyone plagued by nuisance calls. Don't have experience personally, but I think something of the sort has now been organised for a neighbour who was being fleeced of thousands by scam calls.

Many of the new handsets come with a call blocker facility built in....cost around £30.

Does that cost money?

There was a one-off £20 charge to move my number.

I now use pay-as-you-go, which is cheaper than BT calls (especially for international calls). No standing charge. They also offer the option of an inclusive package at IIRC about £6/month, giving you unlimited standard calls[1] to most developed countries. But my calls seem to be in the ballpark of £1/month.

[1] In the UK I think that translates to landline and equivalent numbers.

Problem comes when retailers (like Curry's) insist on a phone number before they will sell you anything. It's happening online too, some sellers are demanding a mobile phone number before they will finalise the sale. Too bad, enjoy the abandoned carts John Lewis et al. You're NOT having my so-far clean mobile number. You can have my already-compromised TIPS "protected" landline.

Problem comes when retailers (like Curry's) insist on a phone number before they will sell you anything. It's happening online too, some sellers are demanding a mobile phone number before they will finalise the sale. Too bad, enjoy the abandoned carts John Lewis et al. You're NOT having my so-far clean mobile number. You can have my already-compromised TIPS "protected" landline.

FWIW, I've bought at Currys[1] and John Lewis[2], both in recent times[3], and without them abusing my contact details.

[1] 4G connectivity: hardware + an EE subscription. Probably other odds&sods.

[2] My beloved Roomba.

[3] Within the last two years.