House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

Entitled Of Hertfordshire - Old Git Wants Young To Give Him More Freebies.

Local rag story (if you can stand the website - its overflowing with ads)

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/Stevenage-man-s-petition-increase-state-pension/story-25847721-detail/story.html

The full sob story.

http://rantingsfromavirtualsoapbox.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/please-sign-a-petition-to-help-uk-pensioners-who-are-going-hungry/

Oh, and by the way, doing some sleuthing, it seems he (or his landlord) paid £30,500 for his house in 1996. A family buying today would have to pay £150k. So dont feel too sorry for him.

Seems he fancies himself as a bit of a celebrity...described as an 'old hippy' So I guess irresponsibility/selfishness comes naturally

http://www.starnow.co.uk/peteperry#

Local rag story (if you can stand the website - its overflowing with ads)

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/Stevenage-man-s-petition-increase-state-pension/story-25847721-detail/story.html

The full sob story.

http://rantingsfromavirtualsoapbox.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/please-sign-a-petition-to-help-uk-pensioners-who-are-going-hungry/

Oh, and by the way, doing some sleuthing, it seems he (or his landlord) paid £30,500 for his house in 1996. A family buying today would have to pay £150k. So dont feel too sorry for him.

Seems he fancies himself as a bit of a celebrity...described as an 'old hippy' So I guess irresponsibility/selfishness comes naturally

http://www.starnow.co.uk/peteperry#

We very often put only one small gas fire on, rather than the central heating, and wrap ourselves up in a blanket to keep warm. To save money, we cook from scratch rather than buy ‘ready meals’ (we don’t even have a microwave!) – and we freeze leftovers for another day. We NEVER have a takeaway, cannot afford to go to the cinema, and do not own a TV or stereo.

All seems perfectly sensible and reasonable to me, although I do have a stereo.

We very often put only one small gas fire on, rather than the central heating, and wrap ourselves up in a blanket to keep warm. To save money, we cook from scratch rather than buy ‘ready meals’ (we don’t even have a microwave!) – and we freeze leftovers for another day. We NEVER have a takeaway, cannot afford to go to the cinema, and do not own a TV or stereo.

Well yes. I've managed to live on far less than the living wage for many years.

At the end of your working life you want to live in some comfort, have the means to enjoy your self not struggle to make ends meet

I want that too, but if he`s genuinely built up no capital at all over his whole working life then what did he expect to happen?

Ditto! I find the cinema expensive for what it is and go about once a year.

Although yet again one of the big elephants in the room - council tax or paying over £100 a month to have your bins emptied and for somebody to draw yellow circles around the the pot holes in your road - goes unmentioned.

I am repeatedly irritated by the constant message about saving money on food; the monthly pittance that most people have left after paying rent, council tax, and filling your car up with fuel should be yours to spend how you want. If commentators genuinely want to improve people's health and standard of living then campaign for rent control legislation.

A gas fire can use as much gas as the whole central heating.

State pension in the UK is a disgrace, it's one of the lowest in Europe (as a percentage of average income).

The whole pension system in the UK is set up to exclusively benefit the banksters and landlords.

Due to the low state pensions people have no choice but to in vest in pension funds (which only exist to enrich the city at your expense) or invest in BTL (and therefore rip off the younger generations).

A much fairer system would be a decent guaranteed state pension for everybody (ideally as part of an unconditional citizens income).

Ditto! I find the cinema expensive for what it is and go about once a year

Not always. A few of my local cinemas do 'cheap tuesdays'. Ticket prices £3.50 to £4.90.

"We very often put only one small gas fire on, rather than the central heating, and wrap ourselves up in a blanket to keep warm".

There are other ways to keep warm ...

9314615-large.jpg

The lady looks nice, but you look bonkers in that picture! And where's the ferret, and pigeons?

He is full of it.

I'm on pension credit and HB. Without extra spending, like the family holiday or Xmas, 3 weeks income lasts me 4 weeks. Come the cold weather, the gas fire goes on and doesn't get turned off till spring. Bills are DD so the cost gets spread over the year.

I've been hearing this 'poor pensioner' twaddle since I was a kid. Now that I am a pensioner I know that it is simply lies.

I've been hearing this 'poor pensioner' twaddle since I was a kid. Now that I am a pensioner I know that it is simply lies.

When my parents retired, they were better-off than they had ever been while working.

Not a big income on a basic pension. But more left over when no longer paying a mortgage and supporting a family. So the lifestyle started to include going out for meals, concerts, etc (the £10 ballpark, not the silly prices) in a way it had never done before.

Did he campaign for higher NI contrubtions when he was working?

That would be moot as NI contributions aren't ringfenced.

So now he's retired, he's campaigning for higher pensions.

Did he campaign for higher NI contrubtions when he was working?

Hmmm, can't check at the moment, but IIRC combined tax/social was much higher than now back in those days....

You have hideous furry grey sideburns, haven't you?

On my buttocks! :blink: