House Price Crash Forum

Goodbye Freedom

Gundog

HOLA441

I have just seen the headlines of the Daily Mail. A woman is arrested for reading out the names of the British dead in the Iraq war. Outside Downing Street, but doig so in a peaceable manner. My buddies in the green may not agree with her ideals, but they do recognise that it is their job to defend her right to express her right of free speech.

Comments please.

HOLA442

Just in case people hadn't noticed, the lunatics are in charge of the asylum. Eg school girl in Derby not allowed to wear a 'hidden' crucifix as it breaks the school rules of wearing unorthorized religious symbols. I thought we lived in a Christian country (like it or not) hence the 'Christ-mas' festival we shall all be taking part in soon. You couldn't make it up.

HOLA443

At least they got to start their protest....

'Arrests before protest could start at EU Justice Ministers meeting in Newcastle':

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/09/322769.html

A protest at the start of the Justice & Home Affairs ministers meeting in Newcastle was foiled before people even got to the protest. They obviously didn't want the ministers to see the 12 foot square ID card that was going to be at the front drive.

Before the EU Justice & Home Affairs ministers had even started meeting today in Newcastle upon Tyne

protesters were arrested in cars on their way to start a peaceful protest.

The plan was for protesters to mount a peaceful picket at the Gosforth Marriott Hotel in orange boiler suits and bar-coded foreheads, with a 12 square foot ID card to highlight the increasing restrictions on civil liberties being considered by ministers under the pretext of fighting the "War on Terror".

However cars were followed and stopped. The protesters were searched and detained "to prevent violent disorder". They have been taken to a police station in North Newcastle and are likely to be detained for over 24 hours, when the summit is over.

Also see 'Six campaigners held at EU summit':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4225858.stm

The NO2ID group said they were arrested on Thursday morning on the grounds they may cause a breach of the peace.

The campaigners, who were going to wear orange boiler suits and bar codes on their foreheads, had created a massive ID card to highlight what they see as an increasing restriction on civil liberties.

A spokesman for the group said: "The two cars were approaching the venue when they were stopped and searched under the spurious grounds that there might be a breach of the peace.

For more details see 'No2id Protesters arrested..':

http://www.no2id.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2436

They had been held for 20 hours, forced to give DNA samples, had their homes searched and possessions seized.

Poster stu2630 is a serving police officer.

When will the British people wake up and realise that their liberty is being stolen from them?

HOLA444

"girl in Derby not allowed to wear a 'hidden' crucifix as it breaks the school rules of wearing unorthorized religious symbols"

I think the issue here was that there was a school rule against wearing jewellery. No-ones out to get the Christians! Hey we're about to get some days off work due to them, they're alright in my book!

HOLA445

I think the issue here was that there was a school rule against wearing jewellery. [English Rose]

The complaint was that the rule is being applied discriminatorily -- Sikhs are allowed to wear jewellery; Christians are not.

'School ban on girl wearing cross 'discriminatory'':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...06/njewel06.xml

A mother accused her daughter's school of discriminating against Christians yesterday after the teenager was suspended for refusing to take off a crucifix necklace.

Sam Morris, 16, was sent home from Sinfin Community School in Derby for breaking a school policy that bans jewellery.

Last night her mother, Debra, said that Sikh children were allowed to wear a steel bracelet, known as a kara, for religious reasons and said her daughter had every right to express her faith.

Education officials were unrepentant, however, and said that Sikhs are required by religion to wear items of jewellery, whereas Christians are not.

HOLA446

Democracy is certainly under threat. If the rumours are true and the CIA are abducting people and taking them to secret prisons for interogation/ torture, what will history say about us - the people who put their heads down, carried on with their work and said nothing. Our wartime grandparents would be ashamed of our spinelessness.

We should have a general strike and not return to work until a motion of no confidence is passed against the government. We have a war criminal in number 10 and it's time to kick him out.

HOLA447

I think the issue here was that there was a school rule against wearing jewellery. [English Rose]

The complaint was that the rule is being applied discriminatorily -- Sikhs are allowed to wear jewellery; Christians are not.

The school is called sinfin and they dont like the crucifix, maybe they should ey.

HOLA448

Democracy is certainly under threat. If the rumours are true and the CIA are abducting people and taking them to secret prisons for interogation/ torture, what will history say about us - the people who put their heads down, carried on with their work and said nothing. Our wartime grandparents would be ashamed of our spinelessness.

We should have a general strike and not return to work until a motion of no confidence is passed against the government. We have a war criminal in number 10 and it's time to kick him out.

Vive la revolution ! The problem is that fat pigs pacified by TV, take-away food, MEW-purchased luxuries and binge drinking will take some motivating.

Bring down the government, they don't speak for us. I'll see you on Downing Street, Izzy.

:ph34r:

HOLA449

Vive la revolution ! The problem is that fat pigs pacified by TV, take-away food, MEW-purchased luxuries and binge drinking will take some motivating.

Bring down the government, they don't speak for us. I'll see you on Downing Street, Izzy.

:ph34r:

We pride ourselves on not being sheeple. If we do not lead the way, who will?

HOLA4410

If we do not lead the way, who will?

As always, the extremists.

Get out your history books - the stealing of the commons began a long time ago. Capitalism will eventually fail and (probably) be replaced by something much worse (the Church).

The common people will always be downtrodden by the power-hungry and greedy. Better to beat them at their own game and remove yourself from the table.

Nonetheless, if it kick's off, i'll be there.....

HOLA4411

I agree. Baubles that Sikhs and muslims etc wear, in my book, could be considered in this country to be 'jewellery'. But this is a Christian country and as far as I'm aware the cross is not jewellery to be debated over by jumped up commy-nazis in the LEA. Let the other religious groups wear their symbols if they want but lets hope that our own kind are not forgotton in the race to be.. 'right-on'.

YCMIU. You couldn't make it up.

HOLA4412

At least they got to start their protest....

'Arrests before protest could start at EU Justice Ministers meeting in Newcastle':

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/09/322769.html

Also see 'Six campaigners held at EU summit':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4225858.stm

For more details see 'No2id Protesters arrested..':

http://www.no2id.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2436

Poster stu2630 is a serving police officer.

When will the British people wake up and realise that their liberty is being stolen from them?

Our liberty is being stolen because we've imported a bunch of loons from the middle east. Rather than attack our hard won liberties lets deport those populations responsible for the trouble and retain OUR freedoms

The fault line cracks on the multicultural state can only be papered over by progressively harsher laws restricting the freedoms of the indigenous.

HOLA4413

IMHO the difference between the Jewelry being part of the Sikhs religion, and a Christian who *WANTS* to wear a cross, is important to note.

BUT that said, I don't think making everyone look the same teaches tolerance. Tolerance is learning to live with, and hopefully having a little respect for different types of people, not making everyone the same.

HOLA4414

I am glad that here are people out there who have a grasp on the realities and common sense of life. Yes a sikh should be allowed to wear his bracelet and turban. It is only correct as it a symbol of his faith. So should a christian be allowed to wear a crucifix as a symbol of their faith. It does not matter whether it is jewellry or mandatory. it is a religious symbol and if one is banned, then all must be banned. Irrespective of faith. France did this and there has been little repurcussions in the schools.

The important fact to remember is that a freedom is granted to all within the law. When you make exceptions to the law then the law ceases to exist.

HOLA4415

I am glad that here are people out there who have a grasp on the realities and common sense of life. Yes a sikh should be allowed to wear his bracelet and turban. It is only correct as it a symbol of his faith. So should a christian be allowed to wear a crucifix as a symbol of their faith. It does not matter whether it is jewellry or mandatory. it is a religious symbol and if one is banned, then all must be banned. Irrespective of faith. France did this and there has been little repurcussions in the schools.

The important fact to remember is that a freedom is granted to all within the law. When you make exceptions to the law then the law ceases to exist.

Judging from what I saw on the news about France, I would guess maybe there have been some serous repurcussions.

I am not a Christian. I see nothng offencive about a Christian saying they are a Christian (or any religion for that matter). No matter if they use their mouth or choose to say it by wearing a cross.

HOLA4416

A little common sense from the former Archbishop of Canterbury

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1939710,00.html

This month a Derby schoolgirl was sent home after she refused to remove her crucifix necklace. A crucifix was “an expression of our faith”, Lord Carey said, dismissing the claim that it was jewellery. “I’m glad that many people have risen up against that and said it’s nonsense,” he said.
“I think it may come from a certain nervousness — maybe it’s excited by the visibility of Muslims in our country, with some girls wearing burkhas.
Do you think?

Archived