House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Uk Retailers Have Worst December Since 2008 As Discounts Affect Takings

Britain’s retailers have suffered their toughest Christmas since the financial crisis struck, according to industry figures that showed sharp discounting continuing to take its toll.

Capping a tough year on the high street, the value of December sales dropped by 0.4% on a year earlier in like-for-like terms, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC) – the worst December performance since 2008, when sales had tumbled 3.3% in the aftermath of Lehman Brothers collapse.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/13/uk-retailers-worst-december-since-2008-sales-value-fall

Guest Jemmy Button

Sorry Mr Retail man. I didn't spend much over Christmas. Mainly because after housing costs/utilities are paid for, JE SUIS SKINT.

If the people who own and work for retailers had any brains they would be campaigning for the average house to cost £50k.

The Morrisons CEO is reported to be stepping down. I am not sure what their numbers are like? I expected them to have an ok to good Christmas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30792217

Separately, Morrisons said like-for-like sales excluding fuel in the six weeks to 4 January fell 3.1%.

Luckily with the oil price falling people will have more money to spend...

Online fashion retailer ASOS, which suffered a difficult 2014, has announced a 15% in rise like-for-like sales for the six weeks to 9 January. UK sales rose a healthy 27%, while international sales were also up 5%. ASOS also maintained its profit guidance for the full year.

Greggs the baker says full-year profits will be higher than previously forecast after customers responded to changes made at the start of last year. The forecast came as Greggs reported an 8.1% rise in like-for-like sales for the five weeks to 3 January compared with a rise of 3.1% a year earlier. Like for like sales for the year were 4.5% higher, it adds.

We had a very warm dry summer - people buy sandwiches as admitted by the baker.

Funny that. Bad stuff blame the weather. Good stuff is down to the brilliance of management.

Luckily with the oil price falling people will have more money to spend...

Are the roads busier?......gas and electricity prices have not fallen.

Anyway homemade gifts are all the rage this year...jam anyone?

Looks like they'll just have to carry on jacking up the price of food to compensate.

No they don't have to do that....they can add more air and water,cheaper or inferior ingredients, reduce the size volume or weight....shrinkage=inflation disguised as deflation?

The Morrisons CEO is reported to be stepping down. I am not sure what their numbers are like? I expected them to have an ok to good Christmas.

...not having a good new year in Bredbury ... I used to use that cash machine as well!

JS54374059.jpg?ts=12012015112736

"Uk Retailers Have Worst December Since 2008 As Discounts Affect Takings"

And if they'd not discounted ?

It's not the discounts that have affected takings, it's the fact everyone is skint due to housing costs.

There, I said it, the truth is out.

I see the idiot head of Morrisons has been ejected.

What a t*sser - took a well focused, low cost vertically integrated grocer and tried to take it upmarket where he obviously felt more comfortable. Loyatly cards the lot.

From the FT:

What happens to the mist?

Game plc! Profit warning. Shares tanking

Surely everyone buys their games from Amazon, Steam or via direct download on their PS4/Xbox these days?

It floats over the top of the vegetables and salad before disappearing. It doesn't sit well for a discount supermarket which is what it was.

Trouble is with some chief execs they hate being seen to running a grubby discount store or serving the great unwashed. They want to be able to go to dinner parties with their friends and proudly proclaim they are the marks and spencer of food. Disaster.

EDIT: I forgot, they sit the vegetables on ice. Warning: the customers have never seen some sorts of veg before.

Good vid: :rolleyes:

That mist is a stoners delight !

Two Morrisons stores like two asda stores are completely different....been to a well run and popular asda and one I would never put a foot in again, same with Morrison.....mainly down to the Management, amongst other things.....mist, they would laugh you out the door....far too poncey and unecessary.

Edited by winkie

Proper UK retailers are doomed because the larger ones have become banks and are doing mortgage lending.

Proper retailers want people to have spare income to spend. Banks want to grab as much as possible of people's income and leave them with nothing to spend.

Home retail - Argos, Homebase have come in with Christmas sales numbers below expectations. Seems the reported is Black Friday set up expectations of further price reductions in the pipeline. They didn't budge on the discounting which reduced the sales numbers.

What is interesting is the shopper mentality ie holding out for bigger discounts.

Proper UK retailers are doomed because the larger ones have become banks and are doing mortgage lending.

Proper retailers want people to have spare income to spend. Banks want to grab as much as possible of people's income and leave them with nothing to spend.

+1

For sure it must create a conflict and diversion of interest at the top - like it does with the general economy.

Edited by billybong