Can You Patch Repair A Carpet?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

If only it really were that simple. I wish I'd asked the fitter for some offcuts :(

It really is that simple, after you put the piece in rub the pile around and the patch disappears.Did they fit any inside a closet where it won't be missed?

HOLA448
HOLA449

we have the same issue, a really cheap carpet that was replaced by the LL after only 4 years as it was totally gone in the doorways.

Couple of years ago, a candle went and melted on it while we left it unattended...so we have melted plastic and wax embedded in a few sq cms.

The carpet was 18 months old then so I thought about what would happen when we left, should I replace the whole thing, repair or whatever. LL gave me a copy of the invoice...The shop had closed, the carpet no longer available.

This year two years on, the rest of the carpet has worn as per the one it replace...

Now, the carpet needs replacing again.

I wont be contributing, as regardless of our damage, the thing has failed as unfit for purpose again in a similar timespan to the one it replaced.

The LL, has in fact paid 3 times for this carpet.if only he'd paid double in the first place...the heavy carpets in the bedrooms are still virtually unworn.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think "it depends" is the honest answer.

Technically it can be done because it's exactly what the guys at Carpetright did when they bodged the carpet in our front room. They just cut an extra strip, taped it underneath and then glued it down to the floor.

That said, the thinner the pile the more chance it will be noticeable, also, if it's an old carpet you may have colour matching problems.

Personally I'd throw a rug over it as another poster suggested, then leave it until you are ready to replace the whole thing.

HOLA4413

we have the same issue, a really cheap carpet that was replaced by the LL after only 4 years as it was totally gone in the doorways.

Couple of years ago, a candle went and melted on it while we left it unattended...so we have melted plastic and wax embedded in a few sq cms.

The carpet was 18 months old then so I thought about what would happen when we left, should I replace the whole thing, repair or whatever. LL gave me a copy of the invoice...The shop had closed, the carpet no longer available.

This year two years on, the rest of the carpet has worn as per the one it replace...

I wont be contributing, as regardless of our damage, the thing has failed as unfit for purpose again in a similar timespan to the one it replaced.

The LL, has in fact paid 3 times for this carpet.if only he'd paid double in the first place...the heavy carpets in the bedrooms are still virtually unworn.

This carpet is the same for 4 of us in high wear areas but I probably don't have the grace of 3 years to wait until it has fully depreciated.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I think "it depends" is the honest answer.

Technically it can be done because it's exactly what the guys at Carpetright did when they bodged the carpet in our front room. They just cut an extra strip, taped it underneath and then glued it down to the floor.

That said, the thinner the pile the more chance it will be noticeable, also, if it's an old carpet you may have colour matching problems.

Personally I'd throw a rug over it as another poster suggested, then leave it until you are ready to replace the whole thing.

It's not mine to replace :rolleyes:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Last place I rented had a wooded floor, we have a table and chairs with metal feet and it cause loads of damage, was a little worried about it when we left but didn't get a mention.

Personally I think you might do more harm than good if you try and repair it, best to leave as is and see what the landlord says. Best bet is to be there when the inspection takes place and just stand on that spot when they are there.

HOLA4418

It really is that simple, after you put the piece in rub the pile around and the patch disappears.Did they fit any inside a closet where it won't be missed?

It will also help to hold a steaming steam iron above the join and brush lightly. This will bring up the pile. Also of use if you've moved furniture and need to get rid of the marks its left.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Try some carpet shops to see if they have the pattern in stock and they might have an old sample book or something they could give you with a piece large enough to patch with.

Alternatively, cut out a patch from a donor area (in the least visible part of the room, ie a dark corner, or somewhere that could be covered with a rug). Cut out the same size of patch from the damaged area and swap these two over. Then use matt enamel paints to disguise the worst of the damage on the piece you've put in the dark corner.

Or, take a photo the carpet and get a print-on carpet firm to make a patch for the donor area that matches. Might be more money than it's worth though.

HOLA4421

Bedrooms have less wear and tear.

You were lucky you didn't burn the place down.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=18078451&postcount=8

My "Get Rich Quick" property book suggests that landlords should budget for new carpets every 2-5 years.

HOLA4422

I've got a mark on a carpet where a plant pot overflowed after a bit too much water. I've been there 6 years and the carpet was presumably there for a while before that, so I'm just counting that the landlord won't be able to meaningfully grumble (although it's a decent carpet and the rest of it is still in good condition).

HOLA4423

Bedrooms have less wear and tear.

You were lucky you didn't burn the place down.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=18078451&postcount=8

My "Get Rich Quick" property book suggests that landlords should budget for new carpets every 2-5 years.

smoke detectors went off..

As for the bedroom, its a deep pile...in the area in question its the cheapest of cheap carpets..the pile is as thick as a skinheads hairdo.

HOLA4424

smoke detectors went off..

As for the bedroom, its a deep pile...in the area in question its the cheapest of cheap carpets..the pile is as thick as a skinheads hairdo.

To be honest, waste of time putting decent carpet in rental in hard use / dirty areas - front door, near kitchen as it will get trashed anyway unless its shoes off at the door. New carpet for each longer term tennant - say 5 years, but not charge for it as reasonable wear and tear, but then suspect most landlords still try and go for charging for it.

HOLA4425

To be honest, waste of time putting decent carpet in rental in hard use / dirty areas - front door, near kitchen as it will get trashed anyway unless its shoes off at the door. New carpet for each longer term tennant - say 5 years, but not charge for it as reasonable wear and tear, but then suspect most landlords still try and go for charging for it.

LOL I had the same carpet in my rented flat for 11 years, and I think it was probably about ten years old when I moved in!

Archived