House Price Crash Forum

Dm Reader Discovers The Real Reason People Can't Afford Houses

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2905952/From-Starbucks-skimmed-milk-pots-trusted-favourite-Quakers-six-oats-test-posh-porridge-worth-salt.html

I would only ever buy one of these "ready" porridges under exceptional circumstances. Whoever buys these regularly must have more money than sense. What with buying one of these and a coffee anyone spending this sort of money daily could instead save it towards a mortgage on the houses "no-one" can afford to buy these days!!!

There you have it. The problem is people spending too much on fancy porridge.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

In fairness even in Lidl the pots are 39p and contain <50g of oats, sugar and milk powder, whereas a kilo of porridge oats is 80p. They are a ludicrous extravagance, no way would I ever buy one.

I occasionally treat myself to a Lidl/Aldi pot noodle, which are 39p, vs 18p for a larger pack of supernoodle type ones you cook in a pan or microwave- because the noodles are thicker and the sauce tastier. I may even start taking them to work for lunch as the time saving over making a round of sandwiches is probably worth a few pence to me. But porridge pots- no way.

HOLA4412

Is this a serious post? Jeez....clutching at straws much

In fairness even in Lidl the pots are 39p and contain <50g of oats, sugar and milk powder, whereas a kilo of porridge oats is 80p. They are a ludicrous extravagance, no way would I ever buy one.

I occasionally treat myself to a Lidl/Aldi pot noodle, which are 39p, vs 18p for a larger pack of supernoodle type ones you cook in a pan or microwave- because the noodles are thicker and the sauce tastier. I may even start taking them to work for lunch as the time saving over making a round of sandwiches is probably worth a few pence to me. But porridge pots- no way.

And this? This just makes me so depressed.

HOLA4413

Is this a serious post? Jeez....clutching at straws much

And this? This just makes me so depressed.

if time is money (which it is) then porridge pots are good value for someone working 40 odd hours a week helping to pay off the national debt and the boomers' state retirement costs, triple lock and all

HOLA4414

Stopped buying them when M&S changed the supplier of their golden syrup porridge pots to an inferior quality one and cut out porridge altogether consequently, and feel a lot better for it actually. Porridge does seem to suppress appetite but possibly a good reason everyone, but those in the land of deep fried mars bars and irn bru, only feed it to the horses.

HOLA4415

if time is money (which it is) then porridge pots are good value for someone working 40 odd hours a week helping to pay off the national debt and the boomers' state retirement costs, triple lock and all

If you can control and analyse your life to that that level, then you should be in government. Or an astronaut. Or both.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Must admit I could never bring myself to buy takeaway porridge - even though it's probably no worse than most eating out in terms of value for money.

Porridge, although I love it, has always struck me as the ultimate cheap and healthy breakfast. A kilo of oats still costs under a quid (although it wasn't that long ago it cost under 50p) and provides a warming breakfast which which is low GI and has decent amounts of soluble fibre.

I'm quite happy with the attempts to posh it up and flog it for more cash - as long as it doesn't impact on the price of the core product. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be, I guess because the only way the posh porridge takeawayers will eat the stuff is if it's packaged up like that.

Re: it's connection to buying a house, traditionally you made a few sacrifices and it got you on the housing ladder in fairly short order on likely one income. That's simply not a credible narrative any more. Believe me I've tried the ultra-frugal - saving 70+% of your income - approach which is just about possible if you are willing to live in a craphole and super-economising while earning well above the average wage. In terms of buying a house though - it doesn't really work. You'll be at it for years just to gather together a deposit in London. Spending £60/month on posh porridge doesn't really make a dent, and if it makes life bearable go for it.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA4418

People rewrite their own history.

I remember my parents both saying how hard it was to get a house.

However they were married when my mum was 23 and my dad 24 and had both been to university.

So in fact the absolute maximum time they were saving for a deposit was 2.5 years into their first jobs.

Yes interest rates were higher - and again they all claim to have been paying 15% even though the data shows this was a one off emergency rate - but they also had huge wage inflation.

In the first 20 years of working the starting salary of their jobs went from around £3000-4000 a year to about £14000 a year in the mid-90s. So a 3.5x increase in 20 years.

The same job now pays roughly £19k as a starting salary so in 20 years has barely increased whilst house prices have trebled or more.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Dear Daily Mail: The other day I watched a programme called 'Porridge.' It was about a group of young men who, instead of moaning about high property prices, seemed to be doing well for themselves by all living in shared accommodation. No doubt the title referred to the fact that if you eat porridge you will soon save enough money for a deposit.

Edited by Austin Allegro

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Cant eat porridge, looks like vomit, even worse watching someone eat it. yuck.

Reader had a point though, used to work with some dicks who couldn't understand how I used to take 2 proper holidays per year and a return trip to Aus. I pointed out their 2-3 take away coffees per day, their take away or even pub lunch with associated pints, one or two with a ciggie habit and quite quickly it added up to 2 - 5K per year depending. Wont buy a house though these days so people give up saving and spend on crap, back in the 50's - 90's this form of saving put you in an excellent position or in fact it was just about compulsorily to prove to a building society that you could save (now they hate savers).

HOLA4423

If you had a bowl of Quaker Oats oh so simple every day for a year, it would cost about £90.

Use the Fergus patented method to leverage your way to owning half a small town on the savings.

Good point. In my road in 92 you needed £7K deposit and £600 pcm to buy a house. In 2014 you needed £54K deposit and £1800 pcm I think this could be more of the problem than the porridge.

HOLA4424

So no cafes and other food outlets existed before 1997?

The year the bacon sandwich and fried breakfast was invented of course. Before that people ate dust.

I think if you go and dig out the stats for coffee spend outside the home pre 1997 you'll find it's a tiny amount compared to the 6.3Bn in 2013.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/21/brits-spend-63bn-a-year-on-coffee_n_2518359.html

HOLA4425