House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

Cameron Considers Banning Some Encrypted Communications

Barely 24 hours after the sanctimonious hypocrite paraded in France pretending to defend free speech.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/whatsapp-and-snapchat-could-be-banned-under-new-surveillance-plans-9973035.html

We are all criminals to be surveilled, it seems.

David Cameron could block WhatsApp and Snapchat if he wins the next election, as part of his plans for new surveillance powers announced in the wake of the shootings in Paris.

The Prime Minister said today that he would stop the use of methods of communication that cannot be read by the security services even if they have a warrant. But that could include popular chat and social apps that encrypt their data, such as WhatsApp.

Apple's iMessage and FaceTime also encrypt their data, and could fall under the ban along with other encrypted chat apps like Telegram.

The comments came as part of David Cameron's pledge to revive the snoopers charter to help security services spy on internet communications today.

They need a net with smaller holes, and more Spooks keeping an eye on the wrong uns that they already know about.

But they would rather have GCHQ harvest data of the 99.75%, to flog to Tesco and Amazon.

These perps were known to have dodgy connections and they missed them. Simple as that.

Making the haystack bigger helps nobody, and i'm sure that they know that.

Do i go on a list if i call Cameron a ****, in an email to a friend?

Utterly ridiculous.

I bet you could organise anything by fax with zero chance of interception and I also bet they don't check hardly any snail mail these days unless it's outgoing from a prison either - thinking about maybe they knockd it on the head after finding a stash of paedo mags in the mail which turned out to belong to a government minister.

The state these days is just so brazenly full of crap. Some of their own emails were effectively spied on by wikileaks and now everyone is footing the bill for monitoring the Ecuadorian embassy round the clock.

Now if he'd just include Twitter he'd get my vote...

Doesn;t want to block, just wants a copy of everything.

Just think about it, a control grid that once in place could probably deliver any level of tax / or fine activity to bail out the banking class again when their latest zirp funded gambling fest blows up again.

The French had 400 odd high risk ISIS knowns plus a direct warning of attack. If they did not manage to assess and control that risk then there is zero need for mass surveillance. In fact this country basked in Finsbury Park extremism and govt shletered that for years, hence many of the problems now. Home grown, home sponsored and abetted by govt.

load of crap , seeing as that fool can`t even keep a track of his own kids leaving a pub , what chance has this lot got :lol:

send a msg as an encrypted picture instead that needs a template overlay to read it

Time for everyone to use encrypted services immediately. Protonmail is a good start (if you can get on - it's still in beta).

Far better for everyone to send loads of meaningless encrypted text to overload their snooping/inteception/decryption systems.

Far better for everyone to send loads of meaningless encrypted text to overload their snooping/inteception/decryption systems.

You have learned the purpose of HPC "off topic"! :blink:

Useful public safety information would be advising the public not to travel on any sort of transport, that might fall victim to a 'terrorist' attack, that Nigel Farage is also travelling on between now and May.

There is no way they can look at everyones, so they should look at who is hiding what.

Sometimes it's not the pattern but the places there is no pattern.

He can ban what he likes, but he can't stop people using whatever encryption they like. And if Google decided to use Dave's barred encryption protocol to deliver their results, then what?

What's going to happen very soon is that the government won't be able to snoop your voice calls and text's because they will be encrypted from end to end.

Some nice products here: https://whispersystems.org/#privacy

Computing always wins over politicians. Look at peer to peer, blocking Torrent sites, all a complete waste of resources attempting to stop people using it.

It's becoming more like North Korea every day, soon we will be looking up to them.

Just think about it, a control grid that once in place could probably deliver any level of tax / or fine activity to bail out the banking class again when their latest zirp funded gambling fest blows up again.

The French had 400 odd high risk ISIS knowns plus a direct warning of attack. If they did not manage to assess and control that risk then there is zero need for mass surveillance. In fact this country basked in Finsbury Park extremism and govt shletered that for years, hence many of the problems now. Home grown, home sponsored and abetted by govt.

And we house the wife of the Paris mentor at tax payers expense.

Sort that first Dave, then get back to me to let me know how you got on.

Sounds odd to me.

Call me paranoid, but why would they announce the names of the services they consider a threat?

More likely I would have thought that these are the preferred platforms the authorities have access to, certainly in the US anyway.

Tell people "we can't monitor them, they must be banned" in the hope that wannabe terrorists flood to them for easy surveillance.

I wouldn't trust any encryption unless I had written it myself. Even if it were just to do a simple number/code substitution over the top of already encrypted data.

I don't remember Snowden ever saying Whatsapp or face time were secure. He certainly wasn't ever reported to have used them to evade detection.

I wouldn't trust any encryption unless I had written it myself. Even if it were just to do a simple number/code substitution over the top of already encrypted data.

I don't remember Snowden ever saying Whatsapp or face time were secure. He certainly wasn't ever reported to have used them to evade detection.

At the time Snowdon was leaking stuff, these services weren't secure. Whatsapp used pretty basic encryption between server and devices, but the data was handled unencrypted on the servers. A similar technique was used by iMessage.

It's only been very recent that these companies have started changing their systems. iMessage was updated in iOS8 to use true end-to-end encryption. This means that the message that hits apple's servers is encrypted and they do not hold the key.

Whatsapp is working on end-to-end encryption, but I don't think it's ready yet. They are integrating the WhisperSystems encryption system, which Wurzel mentioned up thread.

Centralised messaging systems are low-hanging fruit for government snoops, but even this is changing as companies change their IT infrastructure. For example, gmail was compromised by NSA - they spliced into the fibre cables that went between the gmail front-end web servers, and the back-end mail store servers.

High profile ISPs and data services companies are now starting to deploy encryption on "private" and internal network lines. For example, google has said that they are now encrypting the communications between front-end and back-end servers, specifically to guard against this type of attack.

Can I suggest that all emails prior to being sent or sent to Dave first to ensure that we are doing nothing illegal.

We should have a campaign to CC Dave into all emails sent and to forward on all spam to the No10 account along with GCHQ.

Why do you think Finsbury Park was tolerated for so long? Why do you think London harboured so many dodgy Islamists? Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer.

At the time Snowdon was leaking stuff, these services weren't secure. Whatsapp used pretty basic encryption between server and devices, but the data was handled unencrypted on the servers. A similar technique was used by iMessage.

It's only been very recent that these companies have started changing their systems. iMessage was updated in iOS8 to use true end-to-end encryption. This means that the message that hits apple's servers is encrypted and they do not hold the key.

Whatsapp is working on end-to-end encryption, but I don't think it's ready yet. They are integrating the WhisperSystems encryption system, which Wurzel mentioned up thread.

SNIP

I wasn't aware of that.. Thank you!

He can ban what he likes, but he can't stop people using whatever encryption they like. And if Google decided to use Dave's barred encryption protocol to deliver their results, then what?

What's going to happen very soon is that the government won't be able to snoop your voice calls and text's because they will be encrypted from end to end.

Some nice products here: https://whispersystems.org/#privacy

Computing always wins over politicians. Look at peer to peer, blocking Torrent sites, all a complete waste of resources attempting to stop people using it.

It's becoming more like North Korea every day, soon we will be looking up to them.

So Cameron wants us to be more Corbett and less Barker?

So 3 nutjobs out of 350,000,000 go on the rampage.

Response? Read all the emails of the other 350,000,000

Ok.