Self-Deception

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Then get a dog. They will believe you are fantastic regardless.

Found a brilliant birthday card once for a friend who adores his dogs. Forget who said it, but it quoted, 'if your dog thinks you're the greatest person in the world, don't seek a second opinion.'

Friend still has it, pinned up in his downstairs loo.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I always fancied I could sing a bit, not like Frank Sinatra or anything, but in-tune etc.

So a whole lot less painful than the ghastly Sinatra.

Recording yourself makes for your harshest critic. Try the same test on other people who sound like decent singers. Maybe even those who sing in public, if they're in a band, or an amateur choir. You might find you're (comparatively) not so bad after all.

If you want to sing well enough to come through that test, you need "classical" training to breathe and articulate.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Recording yourself makes for your harshest critic. Try the same test on other people who sound like decent singers. Maybe even those who sing in public, if they're in a band, or an amateur choir. You might find you're (comparatively) not so bad after all.

If you want to sing well enough to come through that test, you need "classical" training to breathe and articulate.

I am always astonished when popular singers give an interview on a radio show (often to promote a mew album) and willingly agree to sing a track live without the benefits of autotune.

Most sound embarrassingly bad, to my ears.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I always fancied I could sing a bit, not like Frank Sinatra or anything, but in-tune etc.

Recorded myself on a webcam recently and it turns out that I'm in fact a terrible singer (I mean bloody awful).

What else am I deluding myself about, I wonder?

Almost certainly your driving abilities..... and your ability as a 'swordsman'!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Found a brilliant birthday card once for a friend who adores his dogs. Forget who said it, but it quoted, 'if your dog thinks you're the greatest person in the world, don't seek a second opinion.'

Friend still has it, pinned up in his downstairs loo.

If it could talk , imagine what your dog would say to you, if it knew how much you hated yourself.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The fact that you cannot be a reasonable singer.

Here's a discussion on a forum that should know.

It was probably the microphone. ;)

my mother was a trained singer but my father could only sort-of gasp his way through a song.

I was reminded of him listening to myself yesterday. what I hear internally as a resonant tenor is instead a kind of reedy, breathless alto (wife calls it soprano).

I hope it's trainable to some extent as i'm more of a strummer than a picker on the uke at the moment which really necessitates a vocal accompaniment.

incidentally, I recorded myself on my phone today and it was better - probably due to a slight cold and the catarrh increasing the weight of my vocal chords.

hopefully not as bad as this guy:

on delusions generally, I was told years ago by a pub acquaintance (when pissed), that I was regarded among the regulars as something of a bore which was a bit of a kick in the nuts as I imagined myself as a raconteur along the lines of a young David Niven. oh well!

anybody else ever suddenly see themselves as others see them, to their disadvantage?

HOLA4420

anybody else ever suddenly see themselves as others see them, to their disadvantage?

I was once described by one of my female colleagues during an appraisal feedback process as intimidating. That was a genuine surprise as I think most would regard me as a total pushover. To this day, I'm not sure if it was a joke although I did take some steps to soften my approach in subsequent years, or at least vary it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived