House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Celebrating Burns Night With Japanese Whiskey

Waitrose are flogging Japanese whisky - the medal winning brand.

I bought some this weekend.Did my subconcious make me buy it as a fcku to the Ali + the SNP?

Waitrose are flogging Japanese whisky - the medal winning brand.

I bought some this weekend.Did my subconcious make me buy it as a fcku to the Ali + the SNP?

Or perhaps to the economy?

Scottish whiksy is often sold more expensive in the UK IMPO than overseas so... nah, well done. Why not buy quality Japanese whisky if you can get it for a good price. Take advantage of the falling Yen.

Japanese Whiskey is great. Rather than the big brand one, I tend to go for Nikka from the barrel. It is reasonably priced and has a good flavour. You can of course spend a lot more if you want on 12 year old.

There's posh. Wish I had somewhere where I had such a choice.

I went on a tour around one of the Scottish distilleries a couple of years back and heard how some Japanese visitors tried to reverse engineer the whisky but their water was inferior.

I also recall them saying something about renaming a Japanese village/town "Scottish" (may have been some variant) so that their distillery could produce "Scottish whisky". I guess this is where the EU would step in.

Irish whiskey for me, the original and best :D Triple distilled makes all the difference.

I went on a Jameson tour last year and was surprised to learn about the trade in the oak barrels that are used to mature the whiskey. Jameson is matured in the used rum barrels shipped from Cuba then after Jameson uses them they are shipped to Portugal to mature port.

I saw a prog on the telly which stated there is quite a trade in barrels between US bourbon and Scottish whiksy distillers.

I saw a prog on the telly which stated there is quite a trade in barrels between US bourbon and Scottish whiksy distillers.

The 12 year at the distillery I visited uses bourbon barrels. The 15 year uses port barrels (and supposedly has some stuff in it that has matured for 30 years but must be called 15 years). Think the 18 was back in bourbon barrels again.

Its actually pretty interesting doing a distillery tour.

I now know its more or less the watery discharge of warm frothy 'beer'.

Coincidentally, the BBC has a story about the early history of whisky-making in Japan today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-30682239

There's been a big film on her in Japan recently.

As far as Japanese water being inferior, water is two elements - Hydrogen + oxygen.

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21631138-dram-drama

There's been a big film on her in Japan recently.

As far as Japanese water being inferior, water is two elements - Hydrogen + oxygen.

But then there's hard water or soft water.

But then there's hard water or soft water.

You looking at me Jimmy?

I know. Its the bits that are in the water.

And then the barrels.

And then the anti-freeze if its Austria

Japanese Whiskey is great. Rather than the big brand one, I tend to go for Nikka from the barrel. It is reasonably priced and has a good flavour. You can of course spend a lot more if you want on 12 year old.

Filth! :blink:

I know. Its the bits that are in the water.

It actually has quite a big effect on the brewing process, you need the right ph to get an efficient mash, otherwise you struggle to get the fermentable sugars out of the malt.

I'd have though you'd be struck dead by some fiery Scottish avenging angel if you do Burns night with anything but Scotch.

And haggis of course. With neeps. Only had it a couple of times, but I quite liked haggis.

I went on a tour around one of the Scottish distilleries a couple of years back and heard how some Japanese visitors tried to reverse engineer the whisky but their water was inferior.

I also recall them saying something about renaming a Japanese village/town "Scottish" (may have been some variant) so that their distillery could produce "Scottish whisky". I guess this is where the EU would step in.

I'd heard this too, but never knew if it was true or urban legend. They used all sorts of high-tech spectral analysis to understand the flavour components and then tried to construct the matching profile, apparently.

The word whisky is derived from Gaelic and the drink belongs to them no matter where produced.

The Japanese learnt how to make it in Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-30682239

It is a bit like all those Chinese lagers based on a German original. For example, Tsingtao was originally made by the Anglo-German Brewery Company Ltd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsingtao_Brewery