House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Canny Prince Andrew Snaps Up 13M Bargain Home - Merged Topics

Oh look what I found while searching Swiss extradition laws...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10601930

I can't seem to edit my post so I'll add a summary here:

Switzerland rejects US extradition of Roman Polanski

Authorities in Switzerland have decided not to extradite film director Roman Polanski to the US to face sentencing for a case dating back to 1977.

Polanski, aged 76, has been under house arrest in his Swiss chalet since December 2009 pending the decision.

The filmmaker is wanted in California over a conviction for unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl.

That's a lot for a prozzy. Even if she is under age.

He should try Over the Border in Middlesborugh. He can get a 15 yo (smack head) and still have change for a parmo.

That's a lot for a prozzy. Even if she is under age.

He should try Over the Border in Middlesborugh. He can get a 15 yo (smack head) and still have change for a parmo.

Apols. I read 'homes' as 'ho'

Don't see why this was moved. It's a property story.

He and Sarah got a big mortgage. Think about that. Everything is about debt.

They bought it as an 'investment'. It's obviously not possible it could be the top of a 10 year bubble is it?

They bought it as an 'investment'. It's obviously not possible it could be the top of a 10 year bubble is it?

I don't think many people would just "move in" to that! Sounds a bit expensive!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30759303

Prince Andrew and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson have bought a luxury chalet, thought to be worth up to £13m, in the Swiss resort of Verbier.

The chalet was bought by the divorced couple on a joint mortgage.

The Duke and Duchess of York have links with the ski resort going back at least 17 years, when they went there on holiday with their two daughters.

The purchase has been described as a "family investment". Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

The chalet was bought on a joint mortgage for a cost of between £8m and £13m.

A source close to the duchess described the purchase as a "family investment".

"They holiday in Verbier several times each year as all the family are keen skiers and it makes sense to have their own place there," the source said.

Although the couple divorced in 1996 after 10 years of marriage, they remained on good terms as they raised their two daughters, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, and the duchess lives in the family home of Royal Lodge in Berkshire.

It has been stressed to the BBC that no "external party" provided funding for the purchase.

The timing of this revelation is unfortunate from the perspective of Buckingham Palace.

It focuses attention again on the life that Prince Andrew can afford to lead.

And on the relationship he continues to enjoy with a woman he divorced 19 years ago and who has declared that they are "the happiest divorced couple in the world".

The prince has a modest naval pension and is funded out of his mother's private income.

His ex-wife once had debts of five million pounds.

Together, they've managed to secure a mortgage and buy a Swiss chalet worth millions.

Those around the duchess are keen to stress that the couple haven't borrowed any money from any individuals.

Jeffrey Epstein, the registered sex offender, who once loaned Sarah Ferguson £15,000, hasn't bankrolled this purchase.

The Queen, with her substantial but never disclosed private wealth, may well have underwritten this loan, taken out by the parents of two of her grandchildren.

Carney's 4.5x income restriction doesn't seem to be working.

Mortgage application must make interesting reading

Retired naval officer on a modest pension + wife living on family estate with ? income

So not a normal naval pension then.

I suppose it depends on what Queenie thinks is 'modest' for a Prince.

It may be g/teed by the mother, but article suggests the application is from Andrew/Sarah Ferguson and they're the owners and parties to the mortgage. So it's still a mortgage by a bloke on a public sector pension. As distinct from the Queen being the owner and leaving property to them in her will or gifting property to them now. If she's paying the bulk of the mortgage then not sure how the property could be considered Andrew's rather than hers for tax purposes. Shes effectively gifting him the mortgage payments which for normal mortals would be taxable one way or another (they may be rolled up to be payable on her death of something as with some sort of PIK note perhaps)

Smacks of some sort of tax scheme.

Queen has agreed tax arrangements with Parliament.

Queen funds mortgage on son's £13m "investment" gaff in Verbier

On her death, son owns £13m gaff in Verbier mortgage free.

Probably advised by some ex-HMRC chief working for a private bank.

The richest person I know has a navy pension.

The one who's on his fifth Porsche since I first knew him a little under ten years ago. And uses it a huge amount in a busy life attending and sometimes participating in expensive sporting and arts events.

The richest person I know has a navy pension.

The one who's on his fifth Porsche since I first knew him a little under ten years ago. And uses it a huge amount in a busy life attending and sometimes participating in expensive sporting and arts events.

Andy prefers Bentleys.

prince-andrew_official-work--h=500.jpg

I don't trust the sort of people who use Bentleys.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30759303

Carney's 4.5x income restriction doesn't seem to be working.

Mortgage application must make interesting reading

Retired naval officer on a modest pension + wife living on family estate with ? income

Probably borrowed CHF from a Swiss bank thus Carney's 4.5x income restriction doesn't apply.

Poof. Tamara Ecclestone spent 12m on her wedding party. Cash.

Our Royals are skint. Give 'em a break.

Anyway, it's not even an interesting thread title. I liked that 'Fergie says Phuket' when she was popped on the beach on the beach by the paparazzi.

I suppose there's not a lot you can do with Verbier.

Twice.

Andy prefers Bentleys.

They can't join my Lodge!

Andy prefers Bentleys.

prince-andrew_official-work--h=500.jpg

and has ladies closing the doors after him..He is truly not a gentleman.