House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Upto 2,000 Killed By Boko Haram - Does Anyone Care?

http://www.channel4.com/news/hundreds-feared-killed-by-boko-haram-in-nigeria

This is a bigger tragedy, but, Pah, they're Nigerian, and it happened a few thousand miles away...whatever...

Not really reported anywhere, due to the fixation of Paris...the Paris attack is a good excuse for the security services to curtail our freedom...I'm more likely to die falling down my stairs at home, than being killed by a terrorist attack..

Admittedly Paris has brought to light, the lack of ridicule of Islam in the press - because editors are scared over being murdered, but the press are just scaremongering over their headlines of "chilling warnings"...They just love to spread fear...it sells loads of papers...

Now that Dover, Heathrow and alikes are being defended by small armies, do you think they'd be stupid enough to attack these places?

Good points. But why is "ridicule" so important anyway? You can't build public policy on that. Free speech is meant to be for sober critiques in all directions, too good to waste on silly gibbering. Plus, did/does CH really act evenhandedly in its targets? Has it ever lampooned Camus, Sartre or Derrida?

Good points. But why is "ridicule" so important anyway? You can't build public policy on that. Free speech is meant to be for sober critiques in all directions, too good to waste on silly gibbering. Plus, did/does CH really act evenhandedly in its targets? Has it ever lampooned Camus, Sartre or Derrida?

I think that nothing should be beyond reproach...ridicule keeps things in check...Once you have to use violence to get your way, you have lost the argument..

Same goes for the 200,000 killed by Coalition bombing in Iraq. Nobody cares.

..although didn't a million people march against the "war" in Iraq?

Sadly, I suspect that no one does care apart from the surviving loved ones of those who have been murdered.

I often wish that some kind powerful aliens will land on Earth and put an end to all the hate, death, rape, starvation, etc, etc. Sadly, I can't see Humanity improving for thousands of years... and not before there is an awful lot more bloodshed and death and misery.

http://www.channel4.com/news/hundreds-feared-killed-by-boko-haram-in-nigeria

This is a bigger tragedy, but, Pah, they're Nigerian, and it happened a few thousand miles away...whatever...

Not really reported anywhere, due to the fixation of Paris...the Paris attack is a good excuse for the security services to curtail our freedom...I'm more likely to die falling down my stairs at home, than being killed by a terrorist attack..

Admittedly Paris has brought to light, the lack of ridicule of Islam in the press - because editors are scared over being murdered, but the press are just scaremongering over their headlines of "chilling warnings"...They just love to spread fear...it sells loads of papers...

Now that Dover, Heathrow and alikes are being defended by small armies, do you think they'd be stupid enough to attack these places?

It only goes to prove that terrorism works, and that's why nutcases, governments and media, corporate and 'alternative' will keep doing it.

It makes for such compelling television.

I've said this before in the wake of previous atrocities but imho the best way to respond to terrorism is to ignore it, or at least play it down and not change a thing about the way we live our lives. Otherwise a handful of people doing something heinous to another handful of people have managed to touch the lives of entire nations.

Back in the day, before mass broadcast media came into existence you'd need entire armies and wipe out entire cities to get the same effect. Now all you need are a handful of people to initiate news worthy horrors that an eager corporate press and security state are gagging to trumpet to millions.

It only goes to prove that terrorism works, and that's why nutcases, governments and media, corporate and 'alternative' will keep doing it.

I've said this before in the wake of previous atrocities but imho the best way to respond to terrorism is to ignore it, or at least play it down and not change a thing about the way we live our lives. Otherwise a handful of people doing to something heinous to another handful of people have managed to touch the lives of entire nations.

Back in the day, before mass broadcast media came into existence you'd need entire armies and wipe out entire cities to get the same effect. Now all you need are a handful of people to initiate news worthy horrors that an eager corporate press and security state are gagging to trumpet to millions.

There has been knowledge of state sponsored terrorism (such as Operation Gladio)...its used to keep us afraid, and to control us even further (look at the patriot act during the Bush administration for instance)...

Interesting interview with Marilyn Manson..

There has been knowledge of state sponsored terrorism

imho these things are not necessarily an either/or, 100% state sponsored or 100% organic lunatic, situation.

States sometimes train up and facilitate lunatics as pawns in foreign policy games, and the pawns may sometimes make moves of their own.

I'm not closely following the current situation in France. I find the kind of rolling, no dead air allowed, media coverage these atrocities attract to be macabre. However, on the subject of Gladio, there are elements of this week's horrors which aren't exactly the same, but do rhyme with the Brabant massacres.

I'm always suspicious of these news articles about how the government is thinking of restricting the sale of some chemical based product because of its potential to be used to produce explosives. Almost feels like they hope to encourage someone to do just that.

The news treatment of events wildly varies. Stuff like Soho nail bomber, Raoul Moat or Derrick Bird are typified by initial media confusion and limited facts about just what the hell is going on before the story disappears never to be spoken of again. In contrast to this week where the news handling almost identifies them as 'official' terrorist events with immediate wobbling on about links to Syria and the dog from Downton Abbey (which incidentally I was very disappointed to find had died from natural causes and not a drone strike). I would also predict it will be frequently referenced like 'mumbai style' terror attacks - which frankly makes me think of a terror attack combined with frequent toilet stops caused by the squits.

I'm always suspicious of these news articles about how the government is thinking of restricting the sale of some chemical based product because of its potential to be used to produce explosives. Almost feels like they hope to encourage someone to do just that.

The news treatment of events wildly varies. Stuff like Soho nail bomber, Raoul Moat or Derrick Bird are typified by initial media confusion and limited facts about just what the hell is going on before the story disappears never to be spoken of again. In contrast to this week where the news handling almost identifies them as 'official' terrorist events with immediate wobbling on about links to Syria and the dog from Downton Abbey (which incidentally I was very disappointed to find had died from natural causes and not a drone strike). I would also predict it will be frequently referenced like 'mumbai style' terror attacks - which frankly makes me think of a terror attack combined with frequent toilet stops caused by the squits.

Thats 24 hour rolling news for you...they have loads of "experts" theorising whats going on, but they don't really have a clue..

There is so much bad stuff happening in the world that it's impossible to care about all of it - you'd go crazy if you tried. The reality is that we all worry about what's closest to us and, quite frankly, why shouldn't we?

There is so much bad stuff happening in the world that it's impossible to care about all of it - you'd go crazy if you tried. The reality is that we all worry about what's closest to us and, quite frankly, why shouldn't we?

Indeed, but we focus intently on a fairly isolated incident, when there's hundreds of people being blown up or decapitated almost on a daily basis... again, its an agenda to scare us, and we have 24 news feeds to fill....

Sadly, I suspect that no one does care apart from the surviving loved ones of those who have been murdered.

I often wish that some kind powerful aliens will land on Earth and put an end to all the hate, death, rape, starvation, etc, etc. Sadly, I can't see Humanity improving for thousands of years... and not before there is an awful lot more bloodshed and death and misery.

I am here! The worst part of the journey was the bus station in Bristol

Thats 24 hour rolling news for you...they have loads of "experts" theorising whats going on, but they don't really have a clue..

whatever happened to that banker who was super rich, mingled with the Royals, sponsored British Cricket and flew in on his Ponzi paid for Helicopter and private jets?

He is so invisible, I cant remember his name...he must be really in there getting scamming bankers arrested by the thousand...oh wait....

Guest Jemmy Button

There just isn't any point to reading/watching the news anymore. It really has all become Orwell's Newspeak. If you value your sanity, best switch the whole darned thing off. Go read a book. Have a nice brew.

I haven't read or watched 'news' for years. The discussions on here and similar places are quite enough.

You will aquire wisdom! It hurts at first, but then it's OK!

I've said this before in the wake of previous atrocities but imho the best way to respond to terrorism is to ignore it, or at least play it down and not change a thing about the way we live our lives. Otherwise a handful of people doing something heinous to another handful of people have managed to touch the lives of entire nations.

Spot on Nuggets.

The relationship between the state, media and terrorism is deeply symbiotic.

They all feed off each other to justify their existence.

With regard to the Boko Haram massacre as Stalin said one death is a tragedy and a million deaths are a statistic. In that respect terrorist groups who plot to kill hundreds or thousands in remote places are wasting their time as they will get no more media coverage for their effort than if they had killed ten people and taken some hostages in a major western city as happened in France.

It is also needs to be understood that those involved on all sides politicians, media and terrorists tend to be self serving and narcissistic. If this sort of thing did not happen many would be forced to do boring day jobs and inhabit lives of profound littleness like the rest of humanity and they simply have not got the guts to do it.The extreme ego driven nature of many western born Islamic terrorists can be seen by how many volunteers to fight for ISIS in Syria quickly tired of the reality of war when it became clear the likelihood would be they would die an anonymous death in the sands of the middle east rather than as named 'martyrs' in a blaze of publicity. The latter point is quite important because while Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan may be potential training grounds for Islamic terrorism in the west it is notable that many of the actual perpetrators of the atrocities are not nationals of the conflict zones.This is important to note because what the media do not like to publicise is the fact that ISIS and the Taliban have quite particular local and political as well as religious aims. For example, ISIS may appear to be be a bunch of blood crazed nuts but what in part has driven their success is that the populations in certain parts of Syria and Iraq want to live in a Sunni not a Shiite or Alawite dominated state. Similar particularist and tribal motive lie behind the Taliban in southern Afghanistan. However, you wont see much analysis of the underlying political conflicts in the western press since the media find the constant terrorism narrative easier to sell to their readers than the underlying complexities of these regions, or even more problematic having to explain the role that the various policies of western governments over the past decade have played in creating these war zones. Meanwhile, for western states terrorism means bigger budgets, more jobs and more surveilance powers for the security apparatus (handy to protect political and economic elites from increasingly disgruntled and restive populations in their own countries) and more justification for government ministers to extend their control over the minutiae of national life.

For myself the thing I notice about modern Islamic terrorism in the west is how its targetting always seem to be aimed at the softest of targets such as public transport, supermarkets or minor satirical magazines. Unlike an organisation such as the IRA they have not managed one serious attack on the 'enemy' elites who are supposed to be their foes That failure over more than a decade to achieve even a single attack on a major political figure compared say with 19th century anarchists is becoming quite telling and noticeable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_terrorism

Do the people who carry out the types of attack a seen in Paris seriously think they are going to topple the edifices of state power and lead to some Islamic nirvana by blowing up hospital cleaners on tube trains or gunning down shoppers in Paris ? The reality is the exact opposite. Western governments will simply just raise taxes to pay for bigger security budgets and extend their controls over things such as the travel movement of their peoples (pretty much already a fact in much of the UK). In fact cost is the only restraint I can see being placed on the latter since the likes of David Cameron appear to want to construct the basis of a police state without actually employing any policemen to do it (a classic example of politicians willing ends not means) . In all other respects I can not see whats not to like about Islamic errorism as far as the authorities are concerned as it poses no real threat to those at the top (only disposable members of the general public, grunt soldiers, ordinary cops and dumb f*ck terrorists seem to get killed), it justifies elites extending their powers and creating a security apparatus that can be used to crush all forms of threat to the established order not just that posed by terrorists

Especially if you can broadcast live action shots of things blowing up or falling down. When the twin towers collapsed it would have been even more spectacular for TV if it had fell into the nearby buildings.

I'm glad I'm not a terrorist. It seems like a sh1t job! :wacko:

Especially if you can broadcast live action shots of things blowing up or falling down. When the twin towers collapsed it would have been even more spectacular for TV if it had fell into the nearby buildings.

I thought it odd that the towers and WTC7 fell so as to minimise the collateral damage to other buildings, but the most profit to Silverman, who claimed twice on the insurance.

Do the people who carry out the types of attack a seen in Paris seriously think they are going to topple the edifices of state power and lead to some Islamic nirvana by blowing up hospital cleaners on tube trains or gunning down shoppers in Paris ?

These people are completely brainwashed and manipulated, frankly what they think makes no difference. They are sad puppets.

What would be far more interesting to find out is what their handlers think.

These people are completely brainwashed and manipulated, frankly what they think makes no difference. They are sad puppets.

What would be far more interesting to find out is what their handlers think.

They may be brainwashed but these are not selfless automatons dying for the cause. The people involved are looking for their 15 minutes of fame. It is clear they want to be celebrities when they die not anonymous people taking a bullet for the team. Whoever is handing them understands that the motivation for the people carrying out such atrocities are clearly based around a very western ideas of media celebrity as much as religion.As they are the actual people doing the killing and the dying what they think and why they do what they do is highly relevant.