House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Bench Press Equipment Recommendations Please

Got to be madness buying new - nothing to break and if it has then easily seen to have broken and will not exactly wear out. Ebay, loot, freeads, wherever,

Argos?

The ones they sell are (going by the reviews) too narrow until you get into the £300 and above range. I don't want to spend that much and second hand equipment is a consideration, need to know what I'm looking for first. ;)

The ones they sell are (going by the reviews) too narrow until you get into the £300 and above range. I don't want to spend that much and second hand equipment is a consideration, need to know what I'm looking for first. ;)

Finger in the air - say look at 1K equipment and look to see if can be had for around the 300 mark. Just be prepared to wait a little bit unless prepared to travel distance and check all sources regulalrly - i.e. daily.

Also maybe look out for any auctions - folded gyms - bidspotter.co.uk but watch out for vat and purchase premiums on top as well as any restrictions in terms of collection.

How much weight training do you do at the moment ?

Pull ups are the ultimate exercise. A lot of the big guys down my gym struggle to do one because they are not physically balanced.

I've only really got back into resistance training latter part of last year. I'm doing lots of lighter reps (bench press) 3x25-30 @ 40kg not any higher as I have to lift this over my head laid out on the floor. Looking to press fewer at above my body weight.

Also doing pull - ups (palms facing inwards) 1x10, 1x8 followed by 6 (palms facing away).

3 reps of press ups 40, 30 and 25 respectively.

Free weights to no particular programme.

I've only really got back into resistance training latter part of last year. I'm doing lots of lighter reps (bench press) 3x25-30 @ 40kg not any higher as I have to lift this over my head laid out on the floor. Looking to press fewer at above my body weight.

Also doing pull - ups (palms facing inwards) 1x10, 1x8 followed by 6 (palms facing away).

3 reps of press ups 40, 30 and 25 respectively.

Free weights to no particular programme.

That's a good list.

Only reason I ask was whether it was part of some sort of new years get fit campaign. Last thing you need to do is acquire a load of bulky kit that won't be used for more than 2 weeks.

Never do bench press, so can't really comment on suitable kit.

Just get a simple bench, and a rack to hold the bar. You can get weights for the bar for under £40 (probably). Not sure what the problem is.

Are you after a set of free weights like in the gym, 105kgs here plus 7ft bar for £180 (other options available on listing):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bodypower-Cast-Iron-Olympic-Barbell-Weight-Set-with-Bar-/130956377788?pt=UK_Strength_Training&var=&hash=item1e7d9bbebc

Here's a used bench for a 7ft bar, dunno if it is what you want but seems you could assemble weights/bar/bench for £300 ish.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFESSIONAL-FLAT-BARBELL-BENCH-for-7FT-OLYMPIC-STANDARD-WEIGHT-BAR-/151535261820?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item234834987c

No idea whether the above represents value etc- Rave's views would be useful as he's done lots of lifting iirc.

Free weights. Now you're talking.

You can do a lot with a simple barbell.

Combine that will situps, pressups and find somewhere to pullup and you can get some hardcore training in without having to spend much money at all.

Too many all the gear no idea types around if you ask me.

Ak ok, I assumed this was what was desired but I suppose you need someone to look over you if you are approaching your limits (probably not a bad idea to have someone handy regardless).If you wanted a 'machine' rather than free weights, apologies.

I know a spotter should be order of the day, as it stands I need to do at least 20 of my 30 reps to start to feel a little fatigue so that's 20 reps too many. If I am to start pushing above my own weight (69kg) then I'll look into a payg gym near me.

You can do a lot with a simple barbell.

Combine that will situps, pressups and find somewhere to pullup and you can get some hardcore training in without having to spend much money at all.

Too many all the gear no idea types around if you ask me.

Agreed. My local park has a fireman's pole in the playground with a 90 degree bend which is perfect. I've cracked a few door frames in our house before discovering this.

It's only really since I've been stood down from weight training over Christmas that I have gained any weight in nearly four months up from 67kg thankfully it's all muscle and my slim fit shirts are starting to get tight around the arms.

This exercise and the gear I hope to acquire has a purpose namely to help me in my hobby paragliding, my fitness has improved immeasurable and I can stomp up hills with relative ease again many times. It's a sport where when you get good at it you do less and less physical activity waiting to launch into lift and getting this right more often than not so I will keep this up*.

I have the free weights and barbell (Argos).

*+ my circulation and reynauds has improved, no longer feeling as cold.

I know a spotter should be order of the day, as it stands I need to do at least 20 of my 30 reps to start to feel a little fatigue so that's 20 reps too many. If I am to start pushing above my own weight (69kg) then I'll look into a payg gym near me.

Agreed. My local park has a fireman's pole in the playground with a 90 degree bend which is perfect. I've cracked a few door frames in our house before discovering this.

It's only really since I've been stood down from weight training over Christmas that I have gained any weight in nearly four months up from 67kg thankfully it's all muscle and my slim fit shirts are starting to get tight around the arms.

This exercise and the gear I hope to acquire has a purpose namely to help me in my hobby paragliding, my fitness has improved immeasurable and I can stomp up hills with relative ease again many times. It's a sport where when you get good at it you do less and less physical activity waiting to launch into lift and getting this right more often than not so I will keep this up*.

I have the free weights and barbell (Argos).

*+ my circulation and reynauds has improved, no longer feeling as cold.

Weight training has had significant benefits for me in the past . Even light weights. You don't have to go at it like Arnie. I think anyone who is involved in sport/physical activity benefits from weight training. It improves your core strength, balance, reduces your susceptibility to injury....the list goes on.

Look on Ebay for a Power rack and set of Olympic weights & bar. You'll probably pick up both for £500, and it will allow you to do virtually every exercise you want to, safely, without the need of a spotter.

I don't see the sense in just concentrating bench press, or just pullups to be honest, because you'll overdevelop the muscles you work, which not only looks silly, but runs the risk of injury and joint pain later down the line. You're better off splitting your week into three workouts - a chest day full of pushing exercises, a back day full of pulling exercises, and a leg and core day. If you get more into it you might then want to add a shoulder day later but I prefer to stick with the three and incorporate shoulders into the other workouts.

But a power rack will allow you to do all those workouts. They are amazingly versatile, and a bit of time on Youtube will show you how to get the best out of it.

Beyond it's place as the premier gym willy wave activity I'm not convinced bench pressing's of that much benefit it's worth getting special kit to do it.

Look on Ebay for a Power rack and set of Olympic weights & bar. You'll probably pick up both for £500, and it will allow you to do virtually every exercise you want to, safely, without the need of a spotter.

I don't see the sense in just concentrating bench press, or just pullups to be honest, because you'll overdevelop the muscles you work, which not only looks silly, but runs the risk of injury and joint pain later down the line. You're better off splitting your week into three workouts - a chest day full of pushing exercises, a back day full of pulling exercises, and a leg and core day. If you get more into it you might then want to add a shoulder day later but I prefer to stick with the three and incorporate shoulders into the other workouts.

But a power rack will allow you to do all those workouts. They are amazingly versatile, and a bit of time on Youtube will show you how to get the best out of it.

Don't lift weights heavy enough to need the powercage myself, but pretty impressed by the ones I have seen. If you are seriously into weights and doing them on your own then I reckon this is a must, but of course you need the space for it.

Why not do my gardening! That's hard work, and I can't be ar$ed with it.

Thank you for steering me towards purchasing a power rack. This is absolutely what I require and there's more than enough resources on-line to make sure I choose the right one, space isn't an issue.

My regime has concentrated on all areas three times a week with the w/end to recover however I have come to realise that is not enough and too much at the same time (hence the slow weight gain to start with). It's taking this long to condition my body and iron out all the knots. My intention is to exercise different muscle groups on alternative days (Mon and Wed) leaving Friday for heavy stuff on the bench power rack.

Thanks again.

Why not do my gardening! That's hard work, and I can't be ar$ed with it.

Ha! I can't help you there. I'm a fair weather gardener myself and if there's something better to do then I'm no gardener at all. :D

Try to make your entire routine free weights only. Any form of machine is restrictive and does not exercise all of the muscles needed to lift such weights. Free weights make you concentrate on good posture and they also exercise the stabilising muscles. If you need to increase your weights and push to fatigue then get a spotter/training partner as they also help with motivation too :-)

Thank you for steering me towards purchasing a power rack. This is absolutely what I require and there's more than enough resources on-line to make sure I choose the right one, space isn't an issue.

My regime has concentrated on all areas three times a week with the w/end to recover however I have come to realise that is not enough and too much at the same time (hence the slow weight gain to start with). It's taking this long to condition my body and iron out all the knots. My intention is to exercise different muscle groups on alternative days (Mon and Wed) leaving Friday for heavy stuff on the bench power rack.

Thanks again.

You're very welcome, and if you find yourself with any questions on equipment, feel free to drop me a pm :-)

Swim - properly - do drills - gets you a cracking body with not a weight in sight :)

(Although professional swimmers do weights training as well to be fair)