House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEW247

Colour Printer / Scanner For Home

Always a good place to start my research as my fellow HPC'ers tend to be quite good on this techie stuff.

Starting my new job in three weeks and have thoroughly enjoyed "working my notice" which has entailed about one days work in the last 3 months! Anyway, I need to get my act together and buy a new Printer / Scanner / Photocopier for my home office.

I've been using a Laser B&W Samsung SCX-3200 for the past few years which has been very reliable and good. However, I'm now thinking it would be quite handy to have a colour printer as on occasion its been a pain just having B&W only. However 90% of printing will be in B&W only

I don;t need photo quality, just something to push out nice Docs. It has to be colour and has to Print / Scan and Photo Copy. I'm also torn between Laser and Ink has I have memories of Ink not lasting long (albeit my last ink jet printer was 10+ years ago.) Oh, and it MUST be WiFi enabled so I can print from both PCs and Macs with little hassle.

Budget would be £400 very maximum but as little as possible ideally.

Any suggestions / comments welcomed!

I'm always happy to offer helpful advice.

Assuming you will be scanning photos, handwritten documents, etc., in colour, try these tips.

1) Write everything in blue ink.

2) Wear blue clothing, drive a blue car, and make sure that everything you photograph is predominantly blue (seascapes and sky are a good start.)

Your consumption of red and yellow ink over several years will be dramatically reduced, and the savings will be significant.

Hope this helps.

I've been using a HP 8600 for a couple of years now and found it to be more flexible and cheaper to run than the colour laser it replaced.

Various models in the range but for less than half your budget the HP Officejet Pro 8610 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Officejet-8620--All--Printer/dp/B00IUBTZ9I/ref=sr_1_4/280-6968146-5057840?ie=UTF8&qid=1420744251&sr=8-4&keywords=officejet+pro+8600#productDetails) gives fast, double-sided printing in colour and B&W, decent quality scans and copying plus fax if you need it.

WiFi and USB connection, easy to setup and works fine on a mixed Mac and Windows network.

HTH

I've been using a HP 8600 for a couple of years now and found it to be more flexible and cheaper to run than the colour laser it replaced.

Various models in the range but for less than half your budget the HP Officejet Pro 8610 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Officejet-8620--All--Printer/dp/B00IUBTZ9I/ref=sr_1_4/280-6968146-5057840?ie=UTF8&qid=1420744251&sr=8-4&keywords=officejet+pro+8600#productDetails) gives fast, double-sided printing in colour and B&W, decent quality scans and copying plus fax if you need it.

WiFi and USB connection, easy to setup and works fine on a mixed Mac and Windows network.

HTH

But does it make a good cappuccino?

Not that I am remotely techie, but we have had an HP photosmart 6510 for a couple of yrs - does everything, wireless print, copy, scan, web. After the old HP we had, I love it.

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600, which does everything you need plus a couple of other nifty features (like scanning up to 50 pages from a feeding tray, which is excellent if you want to ditch a load of old paperwork but keep a record of the contents). You can also buy compatible cartridges online for a fraction of the cost of the HP ones - the only downside is that the printer will always display the low ink warning, which I think can only be cleared by using their own brand.

Word of caution on Mac/PC compatibility though. In my experience, printers are a total pain in the **** with Apple Mac, and my view is shifting more frequently toward it being more of an Apple issue than the printer companies. It doesn't matter which brand I buy, I seem to have constant problems getting features to work on the Mac, which work fine on all my PCs. And the common denominator every time is an OS X update, so I can't agree with the people who constantly blame the printer manufacturers.

Where printers are concerned, the old slogan "It just works" could not be further from the truth.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - Looks like inkjet may be he way to go after all Nd I'll have a look at a few of the options suggested!

Ink is as cheap as chips as long as you don`t buy from the manufactures of the said printer i have used theses http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ for a long time without any problems refileable cartridges are the main outlay at the begining

I have ruined two print heads by using cheap third party ink. Never again.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - Looks like inkjet may be he way to go after all Nd I'll have a look at a few of the options suggested!

I'd not recommend inkjet at all especially if you won't use it often, as ink (especially third party ink) tends to dry in the print head and therefore clog it (eventually irreversibly).

In my experience original manufacturer ink won't do this but it comes at a much higher cost, while all third party ink I have tried has been nothing but trouble when only used once a week or less.

I have had canons, epsons, HP, Kodak and Lexmark printers. I'm currently using a brother:

DCP-J4120DW A3 Colour Inkjet All-in-One + Duplex, Wireless

This prints a3 on the shirt side reducing the size of the printer which is quite clever. I'm aware you don't need a3 though. They do quite a few printer scanner copiers in the dcp and mfc ramge.

The main thing is that I have found the ink quite economical especially when compared to canons (many cheaper cannons cave the print head in the ink cartridge pushing but prices) and the cartridges really do look empty when the printer says they are.

Canon have poor support in my opinion and HP software seems to take ages to install. I'm aware that each mnfr has hundreds of models over the years though. Best thing to do is find the price range and spec you want and trawl the reviews on the web.

I recall that the brother site was good for comparing models which is probably a big reason why I bought one.