House Price Crash Forum

M&s Suffers Disastrous Christmas

HOLA441

My shopping at M&S will be half price this year. Just before Christmas, Amex were doing this deal where if you bought £50 of stuff from Argos, you got £25 back on your statement. I bought £50 of M&S vouchers as I enjoy their reduced bread. Couple that with only buying the discounted stuff (got the missus some lovely pate for 20p a jar from there the other day) - and they are cheaper than Lidl.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA442

I don't really understand M&S food shops. Tesco quality at Waitrose prices.

I'm a bit out of touch of late, but I did used to think there was good stuff in there, but also some weird stuff. Much like their clothes.

I remember reading the ingredients of some pie, and being amazed that it was all "food", meat, vegatables, flour, fat and salt, all the usual E numbers and chemicals being completely absent.

Edited by Steppenpig

HOLA443
HOLA444

C&A got out of many markets years ago. Their stuff was reasonable quality, if slightly conservative . . . but I don't know if anyone wants that these days . . . (apart from in Germany, where there are still C&A stores.)

I heard of a lady who got confused with a pair of knickers she had bought at that store. She asked the shop assistant which way round they were supposed to go. The assistant told her "Madam, all or underwear is quite clearly marked C&A."

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

So your competitors hold sales and you arrogantly do not - must think their customers are mugs.

Not sure I really buy into the whole "Sales" thing. Most of them are phoney and in a way I have a certain respect for a company that just says this is what it is, this is what it costs.

Similar model to Aldi / LIDL.

In the case of M&S I don't mind paying a higher price for quality. I buy my shoes from M&S. All the ones I've bought there have been understated but incredibly well made. Not like some of the fashion outlets that sell absolute junk.

Seldom buy anything else from M&S though other than work shirts. Their casual gear generally doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by libspero

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The amount of money and time spent on clothes is totally disproportionate to its importance.

I disagree about the value of clothes, and that's coming from someone who mostly dresses like a hobo - whose best clobber came from supermarket deals!

M&S have lost the plot. A few years back I gave up on them... and it isn't about fashion choice. Anecdote: I needed shirts... I knew I could shop around, but I wanted to meet "medium-quality" and was willing to pay top-dollar for convenience. A few absolute requirements: right size; mostly (or almost) white; cotton. "Easy!" I hear you say... but no. Flagship stores might have one or two acceptable shirts... but I was trying to buy a dozen! M&S thought it an appropriate use of my time to drive to 6 to 9 cities to see if they had stock! Un-fricking-believable! If I can't rely upon M&S to supply, I can't be bothered turning up at their shops. Simple, really. Treat paying customers like dirt and they don't come back.

I ***REALLY*** wish someone would up-turn the retail clothes sector. I want a business selling basic, obvious, clothes... well-made from quality fabrics... where replacing a garment with a similar/identical new one doesn't require a day (or more) 'hunting'. Please would someone make clothes commodity ASAP?

HOLA4411

I disagree about the value of clothes, and that's coming from someone who mostly dresses like a hobo - whose best clobber came from supermarket deals!

M&S have lost the plot. A few years back I gave up on them... and it isn't about fashion choice. Anecdote: I needed shirts... I knew I could shop around, but I wanted to meet "medium-quality" and was willing to pay top-dollar for convenience. A few absolute requirements: right size; mostly (or almost) white; cotton. "Easy!" I hear you say... but no. Flagship stores might have one or two acceptable shirts... but I was trying to buy a dozen! M&S thought it an appropriate use of my time to drive to 6 to 9 cities to see if they had stock! Un-fricking-believable! If I can't rely upon M&S to supply, I can't be bothered turning up at their shops. Simple, really. Treat paying customers like dirt and they don't come back.

I ***REALLY*** wish someone would up-turn the retail clothes sector. I want a business selling basic, obvious, clothes... well-made from quality fabrics... where replacing a garment with a similar/identical new one doesn't require a day (or more) 'hunting'. Please would someone make clothes commodity ASAP?

+ 1 on shirts. IMO M&S seem to only sell shirts for people who don't wear shirts on a daily basis, but instead by whom a shirt is thought it be a party piece.

HOLA4412

I got a shirt some time ago from their made to measure service.

My weight, hieght collar, maybe a few more measures and off went the online order.

There didnt seem to be enough data on my personal size.

Shirt arrived quickly, fitted the best of any shirt I have ever had. delighted and great value.

Lost weight since and it very baggy now.