House Price Crash Forum

Are E As Routinely Doing Credit Checks On Buyers?

Will!

HOLA441

I was in a letting agent's office the other day signing a new lease when I overheard two EAs discussing whether a buyer's credit check would be clean or not. They were definitely discussing a buyer, not a tenant. The buyer had a mortgage agreed in principle with the Woolwich and the check was being done by the EA, not the bank. This was a fairly scummy low-rent (metaphorically, not literally) agent, not a high-end outfit. I've never encountered a buyer being given a credit check by an EA before. Has anyone else?

HOLA442

Surely they were just speculating whether the buyer would be cleared for the finance or not. No way would the EA's credit check be relied upon by the solicitor or bank. Secondly, the EA has no right to credit check a buyer, unless the buyer agrees - but why would they!

HOLA443

I'd guess the EA is probably providing mortgage broker services, in which case the buyer surely must have consented to a credit check.

Were the agents in question even remotely professional, they might have thought to have had the conversation out of earshot of other potential buyers. But since >80% of the agents I've met have been arrogant, ignorant arseholes, it's hardly a surprise that these two didn't.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'd guess the EA is probably providing mortgage broker services, in which case the buyer surely must have consented to a credit check.

Were the agents in question even remotely professional, they might have thought to have had the conversation out of earshot of other potential buyers. But since >80% of the agents I've met have been arrogant, ignorant arseholes, it's hardly a surprise that these two didn't.

Good points. The EAs also commented that the prospective buyer whose credit check one of them had doubts about wasn't even making the highest offer, but was the vendor's preferred buyer.

HOLA446

It's equally likely that they stage these types of conversations all the time in front of other potential buyers to make it sound as though the market is hot hot hot.

Once you'd left, they probably went back to arguing over whose turn it was to have a tug in the toilets over the shared copy of Razzle that they bought with last month's sales commissions.

HOLA447

It's equally likely that they stage these types of conversations all the time in front of other potential buyers to make it sound as though the market is hot hot hot.

Once you'd left, they probably went back to arguing over whose turn it was to have a tug in the toilets over the shared copy of Razzle that they bought with last month's sales commissions.

:lol::lol::lol: