House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest_lauralondon_*

Food Banks Don't Seem Related To The Econony

What's everyone else's experience with them? I just don't buy that they are much to do with the economy.

I once tried to donate some food, but they laughed me away with my beans in water, oat cakes and tinned soup. They only wanted stuff that could be eaten as is or just with water added - so basically only wanted total junk like pot noodles, crisps and sweets. They won't fill me for long.

When I signed on for a few months I was offered the vouchers, I declined.

The only person I know that uses them as an alcoholic family member who has never worked (is quite smart), gets 200 quid a week spending money (free rent, council tax, bus pass) who pisses all his money then gets the free food. The rise of them has allowed him to waste money

I once tried to donate some food, but they laughed me away with my beans in water, oat cakes and tinned soup. They only wanted stuff that could be eaten as is or just with water added - so basically only wanted total junk like pot noodles, crisps and sweets. They won't fill me for long.

They simply exists to support thick people who can't work the benefits system and are to thick to cook themselves a meal like everyone else.

11 years ago I earned £20k a year driving a 7.5t lorry - HGV jobs paid more.

My best mate now earns £24k a year driving an HGV.

What has happened to the cost of living in that time?

Pay-day lenders chasing you for escalalting debts, zero hours contracts, benefit sanctions etc... etc... It's no wonder that food banks are on the rise.

Although, as an accomplished cook I could feed a family of 4 on £25 a week - I expect many people using food banks *think* their weeks shop of £100 of shit pre-packaged food is the minimum, so if they only have £50 they may pay the phon bill and go to the food bank?

Edited by disenfranchised

Ok... I work for a food company and we have a huge amount of damages, nearly out of date stock etc. We sell this to the staff, and the proceeds are given to charity with employees nominating which one (well, those who feel strongly about specific charities). However, there is still a huge amount of stock that goes out of date.

I have spoken to several food banks over the years, and most get all happy about it but just give you a shopping list. Erm no... goods don't get damaged to fill your shopping list! Usually toilet rolls are at the top (I'm guessing because they are expensive).

Secondly, they get very picky about stock - e.g. we will have a pallet of tinned chopped tomatoes, several tins get pieced partly destroying the label on the good tins - yet they don't want these!

We also do a fair bit of luxury goods - in fact we had around 2 pallets of Haagen daz ice cream with a months shelf life - they loved this (I thought they would turn their noses up, being frozen and completely the opposite end of the spectrum to essential food)!

I have even given food parcels to friends (especially those with kids). In-fact, a year or so ago my friend said how hard up she was and was struggling; gave her a food parcel only to see a brand new car on the drive via a PCP deal a month later.

The problem with food banks, is people love free food! Even when I worked at Sainsbury's as a nipper, the staff loved the sale room (stock they couldn't sell)!

I have to say, we now do work with a good food bank and send a few pallets every now and again which they appreciate.

Edited by Jason

Have some connection with Foodbank collection, the main problem is people having no money. Debts, bills, benefit problems and sanctions. There but for the grace of God!

Provisions List from Foodbank organisation (mainly tins and non-perishable items).

FOOD
Tinned Soups (Any)
Tinned Minced Beef
Tinned Steak
Tinned Stews
Tinned Curry
Tinned Corned Beef
Tinned Ham
Tinned Meat Pies
Tinned Chicken Roll
Tinned Fish
Tinned Vegetables
Tinned Chick Peas
Tinned Tomatoes
Tinned Potatoes
Instant Mash
Rice
Dried Pasta
Pasta Sauce
Curry Sauce
Salad Cream
Tomato Sauce
Brown Sauce
Tomato Puree
Gravy Granules
Vegetable Oil
Sugar
Biscuits
Sweets/Chocolate
Tinned Puddings
Tinned Fruit (Any)
Rice Pudding
Angel Delight
Custard
Evaporated Milk
Jellies
UHT Long Life Milk
Coffee
Tea
Fruit Juice
Fruit Squash
Instant Hot Choc
TOILETRIES
Shampoo
Shower Gel
Soap
Toilet Roll
Feminine Hygiene
Products
Nappies

Ok... I work for a food company and we have a huge amount of damages, nearly out of date stock etc. We sell this to the staff, and the proceeds are given to charity with employees nominating which one (well, those who feel strongly about specific charities). However, there is still a huge amount of stock that goes out of date.

I have spoken to several food banks over the years, and most get all happy about it but just give you a shopping list. Erm no... goods don't get damaged to fill your shopping list! Usually toilet rolls are at the top (I'm guessing because they are expensive).

Secondly, they get very picky about stock - e.g. we will have a pallet of tinned chopped tomatoes, several tins get pieced partly destroying the label on the good tins - yet they don't want these!

We also do a fair bit of luxury goods - in fact we had around 2 pallets of Haagen daz ice cream with a months shelf life - they loved this (I thought they would turn their noses up, being frozen and completely the opposite end of the spectrum to essential food)!

I have even given food parcels to friends (especially those with kids). In-fact, a year or so ago my friend said how hard up she was and was struggling; gave her a food parcel only to see a brand new car on the drive via a PCP deal a month later.

The problem with food banks, is people love free food! Even when I worked at Sainsbury's as a nipper, the staff loved the sale room (stock they couldn't sell)!

I have to say, we now do work with a good food bank and send a few pallets every now and again which they appreciate.

How can food banks be picky? Unless they have to cover themselves legally,I thought they'd appreciate anything.

See shopping list!

I'm not saying I disagree with food banks - it's a good idea! It's just even if the economy was booming with full employment, they would still be a used by many.

On the tinned goods, do you accept dinted tins, ripped/wet labels?

How can food banks be picky? Unless they have to cover themselves legally,I thought they'd appreciate anything.

I've not dealt with food banks but have had dealings with quite a few charities that recycle wood and other stuff for community projects and allow people from youth groups turning up to collect things for free etc. Observations are depressing, I'm afraid.

As already said they are bloody picky considering they're being offered the stuff for free those staffing them (who are often paid if it's some council subsidised thing) are bloody lazy They often have a van or two donated by a local car dealer that they mostly use to get to and from work.

The staff take first pick on anything donated and sell to mates for cash or ebay it if they can often quite brazenly.

The people that use the places are nearly as bad. The car park demographic of people using the places are typically 4x4 driving yummy mummies. On top of that if there's some rule in operation, like they can fill one trolley with stuff for free then they seem to stuff bits of wood down the side of the trolley, like a pikey tree surgeon's Ford Transit, to maximise what they take.

All in all they seem to be 'charities' run by a bunch of piss takers for a bunch of piss takers and these days I'd rather skip or burn the stuff.

I don't remember food banks before the coalition,

Yes, well if you can eat a political football then the food bank charities are always able to provide that gift for free.

I don't remember food banks before the coalition,

Food banks were definitely kicking around under G.Brown. Fitted nicely into the big society agenda.

According to wiki. the trussell trust started to run food banks back in 2004.

Foodbanks have been around a while. Food is not given out willy-nilly, vouchers are given via agencies for a short-term supply of food.

Don't know about damaged tins. Possibly may have H&S issues. A lot of foodbank projects come from Churches collecting food for the poor. Just seems more organised now.

Via a website I do, I had a call from an energy supplier wanting to do some good. Staff collected 50 bags of food. Collected by organisation for sorting and storing to make up food parcels as required. In my experience these are good people, addressing a need.

Benefit sanctions (with JCP staff having targets to hit them) came in at "was 897,690 in the year to September 2013 (Guardian 19 Feb 2014) - the highest figure for any 12-month period." Strivers and skivers, etc.

I have a team who could come and assist in the removal of items like ice cream and chocolate.

Have some connection with Foodbank collection, the main problem is people having no money. Debts, bills, benefit problems and sanctions. There but for the grace of God!

Provisions List from Foodbank organisation (mainly tins and non-perishable items).

FOOD
Tinned Soups (Any)
Tinned Minced Beef
Tinned Steak
Tinned Stews
Tinned Curry
Tinned Corned Beef
Tinned Ham
Tinned Meat Pies
Tinned Chicken Roll
Tinned Fish
Tinned Vegetables
Tinned Chick Peas
Tinned Tomatoes
Tinned Potatoes
Instant Mash
Rice
Dried Pasta
Pasta Sauce
Curry Sauce
Salad Cream
Tomato Sauce
Brown Sauce
Tomato Puree
Gravy Granules
Vegetable Oil
Sugar
Biscuits
Sweets/Chocolate
Tinned Puddings
Tinned Fruit (Any)
Rice Pudding
Angel Delight
Custard
Evaporated Milk
Jellies
UHT Long Life Milk
Coffee
Tea
Fruit Juice
Fruit Squash
Instant Hot Choc
TOILETRIES
Shampoo
Shower Gel
Soap
Toilet Roll
Feminine Hygiene
Products
Nappies

What no porridge, I guess Sugar Smacks might prove more popular. Oh dear didn't some Baroness get into trouble for saying that.

Pay-day lenders chasing you for escalalting debts, zero hours contracts, benefit sanctions etc... etc... It's no wonder that food banks are on the rise.

Although, as an accomplished cook I could feed a family of 4 on £25 a week - I expect many people using food banks *think* their weeks shop of £100 of shit pre-packaged food is the minimum, so if they only have £50 they may pay the phon bill and go to the food bank?

£24k probably goes OK in Poland, where most 'british' HGVs seem to be registered...

Whoops, how un-PC of me. Its all because of unknown unknowable things. Cant blame monetary policy, immigration or any actual thing. Might be stigmatizing.

They must have been around for at least 10 years now. In fact I'm sure I can remember being told about them when I was made unemployed in the early 00s (and used the tax credit route out to set up a new business).

Their rise from a handful using them to nearly 1 million using them is almost certainly related to the rise in benefit sanctions being used to fiddle unemployment statistics IMHO (anyone sanctioned magically stops being officially unemployed you see).

Would it be possible for you to give advice on how to do this?

My unemployed friends are very picky when it comes to food. Food probably becomes the most important thing in life when you are poor, a treat where nothing else exists. One friend has an obesity problem, but does get enhanced disability benefits because of it.

Edited by crashmonitor

People are always getting into trouble for daring to suggest that cheap, healthy food can easily be prepared for the same or less than packaged cr*p.

Orwell wrote something about it I recall. He said something like the reason the poor buy crap food like fish and chips, sweets, cakes etc is because their lives are so dull and boring that they crave stimulation.

Bear in mind though in the 30s, junk food like ice cream, fish and chips etc was an occasional treat, perhaps once a week. The staple diet was probably cheap, boring but relatively harmless - potatoes, cabbage, scrag ends of meat etc. Now, junk food is the staple diet of the poor, and society has lost the idea that good healthy meals can be made cheaply and easily.

Junk food is a kind of addiction; I would imagine it's as difficult to wean yourself off it as it is to wean yourself off tobacco. Trouble is we now think packaged cr*p is normal food and hence charities think they have to stump up with it.

My unemployed friends are very picky when it comes to food. Food probably becomes the most important thing in life when you are poor, a treat where nothing else exists. One friend has an obesity problem, but does get enhanced disability benefits because of it.

It's not just that. There is also the problem of where you steam vegetables or cook a pie when you are in a hostel or 'bed & no breakfast' room with no cooking facilities save a kettle. Hence the pot noodles.

It's not just that. There is also the problem of where you steam vegetables or cook a pie when you are in a hostel or 'bed & no breakfast' room with no cooking facilities save a kettle. Hence the pot noodles.

This is a very good point, to cook you require a cooker,pots and pans,cooking utensils as well as know how,time and space.....not so easy when you share a corner of a fridge with others and there is one filthy microwave.

This is a very good point, to cook you require a cooker,pots and pans,cooking utensils as well as know how,time and space.....not so easy when you share a corner of a fridge with others and there is one filthy microwave.

No matter. I am sure Baroness Jenkin of Kennington could rustle up a healthy cooked meal using tins and packets from a food bank and a kettle alone.

Food banks were definitely kicking around under G.Brown. Fitted nicely into the big society agenda.

According to wiki. the trussell trust started to run food banks back in 2004.

Not all FBs are Trussell Trust...I volunteered for one round my way for three years on and off, and that one was founded in 1991..