House Price Crash Forum
Tin Foil Hat

Are Morrison's Going Bust? Twittersphere Reports Of Empty Shelves Nationally

Just wondered if anyone had inside info on this. All over Twitter the last few days tons of people reporting empty shelves and a Soviet style look. Makes me wonder if their suppliers have stopped supplying perhaps as a result of not paying them?

This is pure speculation on my part but the volume of reports makes me wonder if there's something more to this.

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

It's probably the bank holidays, and retailers are getting back to normal this week.

However - apart from screwing suppliers down, the other steps are keeping stock holding down, and focus more on Just in time. Less stock, hold more cash. Cash flow is king.

Probably the normal result of the xmas shutdown when half the companies stop working. I've seen empty shelves in Aldi too,.

Yep...aldi have always had fewer lines than the big choices in the big supermarkets... Less is more.

Morrison's is my favourite supermarket. Better produce than Asda, Sainsburys is overpriced, and you can't go in Aldi/Lidl and buy one of something, everything is in bags. And the checkout thing where you're not allowed to pack your bags is dumb.

Morrison's is my favourite supermarket. Better produce than Asda, Sainsburys is overpriced, and you can't go in Aldi/Lidl and buy one of something, everything is in bags. And the checkout thing where you're not allowed to pack your bags is dumb.

First you have to position your trolley correctly at the checkout, then you pack your shopping into the bags you bought with you directly into your trolley.....

Edited by winkie

I don't have a trolley.

They sell some really jazzy ones nowadays....the type where they can see you coming, saves blistering the hands on plastic bag handles.

Probably the normal result of the xmas shutdown when half the companies stop working. I've seen empty shelves in Aldi too,.

Yes, saw them clearing out the veg on New Years Eve. Interesting take on stock rotation - they must sell nearly everything on their shelves normally, but they stock up for xmas and from the way they run exprity (or planned expiry) as of NYE they looked like they just cleared everything perishable in this section, eveything, did not seem to be any date checking, not even selling off, just everything carted off.

They sell some really jazzy ones nowadays....the type where they can see you coming, saves blistering the hands on plastic bag handles.

Most shoppers in don't have this level of obedience. So they stand there insolently filling their bags at their own speed. That drives me demented. I can't shop there more than once a month, it's bad for my blood pressure.

My local Sainsbury's was woefully understocked last night when I visited; couldn't get half the stuff I wanted.

I think it must be a general Christmas problem.

My local Sainsbury's was woefully understocked last night when I visited; couldn't get half the stuff I wanted.

I think it must be a general Christmas problem.

Reckon so (from above experience with Aldi) it takers too much time to check stock dates so they just sling the lot. Then it takes a few days (or more) to get backed to normal stock rotation again.

Got some unavailable and replacement products from Morrisons home delivery this w/e (unusual). Gave up with Asda,half the shop was replacements. However Morrisons gave us a £10 voucher for our trouble.

I've noticed this too. I think they used to have a night shift which now seems to have disappeared. I go in quite early and alot of the shelves now seem to be empty. They were restocking whilst the store was open so you couldn't get near some of the shelves, they also seemed under staffed as they were rushing and just chucking things onto the shelves and fridges, alot of the desserts had split and there was sawdust on the floor where juice cartons had been dropped.

Reckon so (from above experience with Aldi) it takers too much time to check stock dates so they just sling the lot. Then it takes a few days (or more) to get backed to normal stock rotation again.

I hope they didn't sling the lot.....would be interested in finding out what they do do with it.

I hope they didn't sling the lot.....would be interested in finding out what they do do with it.

Well maybe foodbank, certainly didn't look like it was going to be restocked (or sold) - piled high in trolleys the fresh veg was certainly not destined for re-placement on the shelves by the looks of it.

Well maybe foodbank, certainly didn't look like it was going to be restocked (or sold) - piled high in trolleys the fresh veg was certainly not destined for re-placement on the shelves by the looks of it.

Food banks do not take perishable foods.

Food banks do not take perishable foods.

I don't often food shop in supermarkets. But a couple of months ago I was in late at the time when in store baked bread normally would be discounted.

I was surprised to see it all being put into black bin bags. None was being discounted. The store was a 24hr Tesco Extra

I asked what would happen to this bread and was told it would go for animal feed, which is some consolation.

Still surprised it wasn't being discounted.

I wondered if it was to break consumers' 'habits' ?

On Topic,

I think Morrisons is by far the best of the main supermarkets.

Tescos, Sainsburys and Morrisons in my area seemed to manage stock very well pre Christmas compared to other years leading to much less discounting. I think this left them all short stocked in some fresh areas in the immediate aftermath.

Edited by LiveinHope

Morrisons I think are better than most for reducing their few days old fruit and veg...they have a managers special shelf, and will bag up and sell off things like leeks, mushrooms and all kinds of past their best but still good to eat foods. Just prepare, blanch in boiling water for a minute and freeze for another day.......saw the other day bags of soup mix pre prepared veg for 15p and a bag of chopped onions 9p add a potato and seasoning and makes a delicious healthy soup for very little.....well done Morrison's:-)

I don't think they can give it to animals to eat any longer....so what do they do with it?

As far as I know, only waste containing animal products cannot be fed to animals. Bakery, fruit, veg are OK