House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

It Really Was A Black Friday, As Retailers Are Discovering -- Merged

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/james-moore-it-really-was-a-black-friday-as-retailers-are-discovering-9959459.html

John Lewis may not be alone in suffering a Black Friday hangover, and there are many who will feel a certain Schadenfreude at that.

One of the least welcome American imports to these shores, the discount day led to ugly scenes at stores up and down the country, and criticism of the retailers involved for failing to lay on sufficient security to cope.

It’s not only a few hapless shoppers that got bruised. A large number of people took advantage of the promotions touted on the day and did their Christmas shopping at the end of November rather than in December. In other words, retailers ended up cannibalising their own sales. And in some cases damaged their brands by struggling to get goods out to customers.

But is this what the shops are aiming for have the major sale number in Nov rather than Dec?

I did think it was a bizarre import. My understanding was that Americans tend to do most of their spending in the run up to Thanksgiving - and therefore Black Friday was the equivalent of our Boxing Day sales i.e. a chance to get rid of unsold stock and old tat. If that's true, then it has little relevance here.

If it's backfired, well I have limited sympathy. My suspicion though is that they imported the usual tat to put it on sale for Black Friday.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Everything is online now so it makes it very hard for retailers to put things on sale in the US and still expect to charge full whack in the UK. Globalisation works 2 ways

Were you allowed to return BF tat? Like those £200 tvs that were worth, er, £200 (at most). Stuff that didn't turn out to have a huge resale value on the big auction site.

Anyone see the news yesterday, the media now appears to be saying that the Black Friday sales frenzy was a bad thing ... after previously making it out to be the best thing to happen to retail, ever, only a few short weeks ago .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30672179

The widely promoted sales day at the end of November brought the company its biggest trading week on record, with sales up 22% on last year.

However, Andy Street said the US-inspired phenomenon was "more challenging profitability-wise".

"We've got to ask if it's right to concentrate trade so much in that one period," he told the BBC.

"My personal hope is that this is the high water mark for Black Friday. I don't think we can put the genie back in the bottle but do we need to stoke that fire anymore? I personally hope not," he added.

It's like they can't get their story straight and flat out contradict themselves from week to week.

Perhaps that Adam Curtis piece on Brooker's 2014 Wipe about the media being used to create a confused, illogical state of mind amongst the public had a point......

Perhaps that Adam Curtis piece on Brooker's 2014 Wipe about the media being used to create a confused, illogical state of mind amongst the public had a point......

They're just incompetent. No conspiracy. There is no journalism anymore, there is just rolling 24 hours of news to fill where being first is the goal rather than being insightful and/or accurate.

It is the job of the journalist to find the story in amongst the confusion, to present an understandable narrative that reflects reality accurately. Reality has always been messy. When all the news consists of is reading press releases and repeating sound bites between commercial breaks, it will more closely resemble the mess of the real world than if there was in actual work put into it.

Poor journalism blaming the world for being confusing.

Race to the bottom as usual.

Someone starts pushing the idea. Retailers may hate it, but they think (rightly or wrongly) they can't afford not to join in!

Everything is online now so it makes it very hard for retailers to put things on sale in the US and still expect to charge full whack in the UK. Globalisation works 2 ways

Actually, it doesn't. The big brands make it difficult for the average consumer to benefit from lower prices by buying the product in a different market where prices are lower, though bullying suppliers and lobbying for government legislation to protect their distribution cartels.

The arbitrage of costs in different regions of the World is very much for the benefit of the corporates, not the consumer. The big boys get to make the goods where it's cheapest to do so and sell them where they get the highest prices.

The introduction of "Black Friday" is just out of sheer desperation and a last ditch attempt to get customers in by hook or by crook any old how. It's introduction is a really strong indicator of the UK's retail sector going downhill fast.

Edited by billybong

November sales screw up the whole point of Christmas for retailers - i.e. pressurising people to buy gifts for Christmas morning at a price which, 2 or 3 days later, will be considerably less.

But, in recent years, more and more people I know have been holding off till after Christmas so it will be interesting to see how stores try to stop pre-Christmas sales next year. Any co-ordinated attempt would be against UK and EU cartel and anti-competitive legislation.

I think the genie is out of the bottle though - bottom line is that it was obvious this Christmas that there was a limited pool of money available and retailers were panicked into early sales because they feared if they didn't get the buyers that their competitors would get the buyers. The likes of Next, Fat Face, etc, etc, starting their online sales on Christmas Eve was indicative of a panic.

I think the genie is out of the bottle though - bottom line is that it was obvious this Christmas that there was a limited pool of money available and retailers were panicked into early sales because they feared if they didn't get the buyers that their competitors would get the buyers. The likes of Next, Fat Face, etc, etc, starting their online sales on Christmas Eve was indicative of a panic.

Ironically, this was the first year in ages that we didn't get force fed a media line of how Christmas sales figures were looking dodgy for the retailers and we should therefore all rush out and take advantage of the great bargains they were offering as a result ... only to find out afterwards when things were added up that it was a bumper holiday period.

It's almost as if nothing that the mainstream media says is trustworthy ..... :lol:

Teacos was pretty much deserted whenever I popped in over Christmas. Same for moggies. I recall a couple of years back having to queue for a parking spot at the Tescos extra in the week before Christmas.

There is no journalism anymore, there is just rolling 24 hours of news to fill where being first is the goal rather than being insightful and/or accurate.

Every story can be spun in one of two ways, as a good thing or as a bad thing

When you have columns to fill its an easy option to just take yesterdays "good news story" and turn it into todays "bad news story"

I did think it was a bizarre import. My understanding was that Americans tend to do most of their spending in the run up to Thanksgiving - and therefore Black Friday was the equivalent of our Boxing Day sales i.e. a chance to get rid of unsold stock and old tat.

I heard it was because it's the last payday before Christmas, the aim being to be the first to relieve everyone of their Christmas cash.

Yours sounds good too. Perhaps a bit of both.

Every story can be spun in one of two ways, as a good thing or as a bad thing

When you have columns to fill its an easy option to just take yesterdays "good news story" and turn it into todays "bad news story"

What was the weather like on black Friday?.... Was the sun out or was there rain, leaves on the line or black ice?.....that should give some idea of performance.