House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Local Back Up Of The Mass Establishment Thread (Or Other Threads) - Bat File Help

http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc

In the past I've used File Downloader from here to create bat files to download files from the internet and I've found it quite useful but it's been a long time since I've used it.

However some people have posted about wanting to keep the mass establishment thread, but this process can work for all the threads if you want to back any of the big ones up like the big fat greek thread.

Here's the basic code for download the thread to your local hard-drive:

download  /notime /output:"page1.html"download page-2 /notime /output:"page2.html"

The clumsy way to get this to download all the pages is to put this into excel in various cells to generate the multiple count need for page-3, page-4 and the output file name page1.html etc... and then remerge the cell content back to create the long code again.

I think you can get this to output in a specified folder.

However I'm sure you can get the bat file to create the count by a bit of clever programming.

Remember the above code needs saving in notepad and then make sure the file extension is .bat rather than .txt then double click.

I think the forum software will do this for you. If you look at the very bottom of the page there's a row of icons:

25rh28h.png

If you click on download.png then it brings up a form asking where you want to save it, and you end up with an html file which appears to contain the entire contents of the thread and which can later be reloaded into your browser with Ctrl-O or something similar. You might also be able to print it to a file if you click on print.png, although when I tried it it only seemed to do the current page.

Sounds handy. If you're hell-bent on the script approach, a quick cheat is to paste the template script e.g. the first line into Excel, then split the command at the page number into two columns, put the page number in a third column and "fill down", then use the Concatenate function to join the text together and then finally copy the concatenated column back into a text/batch file.

I think the forum software will do this for you. If you look at the very bottom of the page there's a row of icons:

25rh28h.png

If you click on download.png then it brings up a form asking where you want to save it, and you end up with an html file which appears to contain the entire contents of the thread and which can later be reloaded into your browser with Ctrl-O or something similar. You might also be able to print it to a file if you click on print.png, although when I tried it it only seemed to do the current page.

I've had a quick look and it doesn't appear for the Mass Est thread, I wonder if this download option is only available for small threads?

I've had a quick look and it doesn't appear for the Mass Est thread, I wonder if this download option is only available for small threads?

Ooh, you're right! It seems to be there on short threads, but not on ones that have more than 20 pages or so.

Wget will download the thread as html which will then load in a browser tab. (Well it does in Linux anyway.)

This thread:

wget -O localfilename 

I think I preferred download to wget many years ago because the command line options where easier and the option to download the more up to dates files were better or I didn't think existed then in wget. However I do see that wget has an incremental update option as you wouldn't want to download 400+pages when you already have them.

I was hoping someone could get the page number to automatically count upwards.

It would be useful to have some of the threads on my hard drive and merged into a single html for searching.