House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

5% Of Households Don't Have A Tv Licence - Poll

I would expect the HPC demographic to be doing better than this for several reasons:

• Objecting to paying yet another tax
  • Despising the BBC's pro-HPI pro-establishment biases
  • The vast executive salaries
  • The enormous sums paid for both the rights to cover major sporting events and the sums paid to its staff to cover them when the commercial channels would do it anyway.

Anyway, poll time.

I'm not trying to catch anybody out here, just looking to see how many are legitimate avoiders, so don't answer if you're evading rather than avoiding this tax.

Frank, I don't watch much television, I still pay the licence fee though! Bollaux! I think it to be bad value!

My household pays the television tax in exchange for the privilege of being able to watch foreign (commercial) television on satellite. Not my call and I resent paying it.

Did the fiction that the BBC is somehow independent because it is funded by a separate tax mandated by government, rather than being funded directly by the state out of general taxation, ever really wash with anyone but the simple minded, and Charlieton Brooker?

I get the feeling they want to ensure that people don't have exposure to alternative realities, to alternative views of the world and history.

That aspect of the BBC battles for the top spot for my reasons to detest it. The soaps and sit coms set in some complacent fantasy universe, the @rse kissing 'reality' documentaries, constructed to drum into our heads how great the state is, all of it.

The lyrics to 'Panic' just came to mind, for fairly obvious reasons...

Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE
Hang the blessed DJ

I pay, but I wish we didn't. The wife wants us to pay even though we could get around it by not watching live TV. There are a couple of youtube subscribers I'd like to give money to, but as I pay for the BBC not sure I can justify it, shame really as I get more from those channels than I do from the BBC.

I pay.

If you watch live football on BBC, ITV, Sky or BT it's unavoidable isn't it?

I hate the BBC though. I don't see why we should pay this poll tax. They do all sorts of stuff they shouldn't simply so they can beam the news and their propaganda into people's heads.

Been watching Wallander of late. Have no idea why we don't show more Scandinavian, French,Italian, Dutch or German programmes.

I get the feeling they want to ensure that people don't have exposure to alternative realities, to alternative views of the world and history.

For this and the fact the BBC make more criminals of the UK populace than for any other reason, I literally loathe them and their middle class entitlement attitudes.

'Nuff said.

What really gets me is when you have these Panorama (assuming tis BBC) type programs where they expose these cruel foreign regimes, where political disdents are locked ip for having differing opinions. And you get all this smug tnuc hand wringing - Won't someone think of Nelson Mandela.

And you get the BBC responsible for jailing several hundred because the choose to buy food + clothes rather than sub Stricly or that smug tnuc Nigel Slater with his poofy food.

I started the recent thread because I've just come from Xmas - the period where TV should be pulling out the stops to get my eyeballs - and did not watch a single thing on a BBC channel. And thats not me denying myself or being awkward - there was literally nothing that appealed. All the films I'd seen on DVD. Light entertainment - don;t go there.

I even had some quote Fawly Towers as a example of why the lceinse fee is worth it.

What was that - 6 episodes, 40 odd years ago.

The charters up for renewal in a year or two. How on earth can they justify it - post Netflix, youtube, broadband, box sets?

I doubt if the BBC will die without a fight and they are well connected with the corridors of power. I expect the licence fee will be abolished and replaced with some form of central taxation so that we all have to pay for it even if no-one is watching.

Not bothered with TV for several years, but I live alone which makes it easier. For those with a partner, and especially if you have kids, then I should imagine it's very difficult to win that debate.

What I find interesting is that over Christmas, like most people I end up round at relatives / friends and the TV is invariably on - and with each passing year, I find it increasingly obnoxious and garish. Particularly shows like Strictly, that seem over-saturated to the point of hurting my eyes. And the relentless stream of adverts on most channels drives me nuts.

As for the BBC, I can't think of a single programme they produce that I'd be interested in watching (with the notable exception of Charlie Brooker's annual 'Wipe'). Even MOTD, which was a must-watch for me for many years, I now only very occasionally watch on catch-up. The whole programme from the commentary to the presenting to the punditry is so inane I just can't be bothered.

Sadly, I think enough people are protective of the BBC that they'll get another few years with the license fee in its current format.

The best example of this is in fact all the BBC radio channels targeted at different parts of the population. The Asian Channel, the 'right on Radio 5 channel' etc etc. All with the intention of beaming their news to people every 15 or 30 minutes.

In fact it is worse than this because as part of the licensing agreement for other broadcasters they have to beam news too every so often and that news must be 'impartial'. How do they check what 'impartial' is? They have to follow the BBC's lead. Of all the news in the world, why is it always the same across all channels? No 'shock jocks' for the UK. Simply we have no freedom of thought or discussion. UK populace reality is extremely limited.

Murdoch news

Putin Today (You think Max Keiser et al are impartial ?!)

All free to air. They're all utter cr4p

Channel 4 news is the only one worth watching (imo)

Al Jazeera is interesting due to its geographic emphasis. Don't have a view on the impariality of its content especially

5% with no license might be decent progress; itseem to recall it was much lower than that a couple of years ago. It has hallmarks with eCigs where a tipping point could be reached quite easily as more and more people realise they basically do not need a license, or that minor adjustments to viewing habits would be sufficient to legally avoid paying. £150 is an amount that most people would regard as worth some degree of inconvenience, even if only initially as many come to realise they can easily make do without.

Renewed my license a couple of months ago purely for the privilege of watching foreign satellite channels. Didn't watch a single solitary thing over Christmas. Wife bought one of those tv mags showing two weeks schedules of Christmas and New Year tv. Trawled through a few days content and nothing appealed. Finally watched something yesterday but that was on a non-BBC channel.

The children all use iplayer now as well - or one of the other on-demand channels.

I don't think I will renew it. In fact I may well ask for a refund now.

What I hate about the BBC is how remorselessly smug, unimaginative, condescending and generally crap its output has become.

Maybe time lends a rosy glow to the past but I am pretty sure the quality of things like drama or documentaries was far more challenging in the 1960s and 1970s than the utter dross we are fed today. For example with a few honourable exceptions much of the BBCs coverage of the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War has been crashingly dull. To be honest they may as well have just reshown the 26 episode Great War documentary they put out in 1964 to mark as nothing they have done recently has got anyware near it in scope or quality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_War_%28documentary%29

At least in the 1960s programs such as Come Dancing involved the public such as typists and gas fitters from Stoke rather than relying on a constant stream of second rate celebs many of whom already seem to work for the BBC. This lent them an integrity that is sadly lacking from their modern versions. The quality of news and documentary output has also plummetted. In the past the BBC had some people of intellectual weight to present current affairs programs. Now they do not even have Paxman The nadir has to be BBC Breakfast TV which as far as I can see does not carry any real news at all but is just an outlet for various government propaganda initiatives on health (you are too fat, too drunk, too lazy etc) and other PC subjects or non news stories about things that happen at the same time every year such as New Year train price rises or A level results all leavened with quasi adverts for the pap that the BBC will be serving up later in the day. Add in the fact that its idea of Saturday night entertainment is yet another of episode of Casualty and you can see why people are turning off in droves.By comparison even the endless cat videos on Youtube look entertaining.

To me the most obvious sign of the BBCs decline is the increasing reliance it has come to place on its back catalogue which it uses to prop up the schedules on BBC3 or BBC4. If it was not for its past and the monopllyb it holds over the license feeI dont think it would survive very long.

I think the BBC will die out as the older generation die out. Young people watch online. Minorities have their own channels in their own languages. My older relatives, despite hardly agreeing with its political slant, regard it as some kind of national institution, yet Eastenders is all they seem to watch on it nowadays.

Why would anyone have a TV Licence in todays age...?

For 1...The BBC is total GARBAGE! :P

YOU can watch most stuff online 'Licence FREE' as long as its pre-recorded, IE: NOT live at time of viewing -

Murdoch news

Putin Today (You think Max Keiser et al are impartial ?!)

All free to air. They're all utter cr4p

Channel 4 news is the only one worth watching (imo)

Al Jazeera is interesting due to its geographic emphasis. Don't have a view on the impariality of its content especially

Of course the news is shite...24 hours, 30 news channels...how much "news" is there out there?

BBC headline today about a Chinese phone counterfieter posting their own trumpets on facebook...No facts, no information, just a regurgitated press release....

I've never understood the concept of the BBC using our money to try to outbid private companies for sports rights. All it does is put the price up.

Same goes for shallow entertainment 'talent'.

Why? There can be no possible benefit to us of them doing so. The benefit indeed is all the other way. They need eyes and ears to get their message across.

There should be a law...if its on the telly and features a national team, it goes on the BBC.

I'm not convinced the numbers not paying is as low as 5%. I don't trust them to publish true statistics - anyone ever exposed to their current affairs output should probably be aware of this.

Watched a couple of episodes of Black Mirror via channel4.com over the Xmas break, that's all the TV I've watched since the last round of Game of Thrones.