House Price Crash Forum
objective

Resigning From Job

I've just been offered a new job by a competitor of my employer, paying £7k a year more for doing exactly the same work.

I'm just about to write my resignation letter to hand in to my boss tomorrow.

I'm contemplating sighting the unaffordable house prices in my city as the reason for resignation. Ironically, my employer is a large bank that does a lot of BTL business. At the moment I rent a room in a shared house from a very amateur landlord who I know has a BTL mortgage through the bank I work for!

I'm going to be so satisfied when I leave my job and leave the cramped house I live in. Both my employer and landlord have screwed me, now the boot is on the other foot. May they both rot in hell.

Just thought you'd like to hear my story.

I've just been offered a new job by a competitor of my employer, paying £7k a year more for doing exactly the same work.

I'm contemplating sighting the unaffordable house prices in my city as the reason for resignation. Ironically, my employer is a large bank that does a lot of BTL business. At the moment I rent a room in a shared house from a very amateur landlord who I know has a BTL mortgage through the bank I work for!

I'm going to be so satisfied when I leave my job and leave the cramped house I live in. Both my employer and landlord have screwed me, now the boot is on the other foot. May they both rot in hell.

Yes I see, sharing tenant gets better job with better pay. Becomes FTB (soon enough). The natural course of life in our society. In a few years, those younger than you will tell you how lucky you were and that there is no hope for their generation.

Yes I see, sharing tenant gets better job with better pay. Becomes FTB (soon enough). The natural course of life in our society. In a few years, those younger than you will tell you how lucky you were and that there is no hope for their generation.

Yes, "unaffordable housing" is the reason I'm going to give to my employer which is heavily involved in selling BTL mortgages, and has recently relaxed its lending criteria again. I hope my boss is intelligent enough to realise the irony.

My conscience is clear as I'm going off to work for a company that encourages people to save but not get into massive debt.

Incidentally, I'm not enough of a fool to go chasing house prices with my new increased borrowing power. Also, I'd feel like a hypocrite to buy now, and price other not so lucky potential FTBs out of the market. We need to stick together and refuse to buy at these ridiculously high prices.

I just know something has to give, either peoples' salaries must rise to catch up with house prices, and if it takes people like me to get off their **** and find a better paid job elsewhere then so be it, or of course house prices have to fall.

One thing is for sure is that I'm not going to continue to be a person who hands over rent money to a landlord who then makes BTL mortgage repayments to the bank I work for. I'm not going to struggle to exist so that those parties can make their greedy profits.

objective

Nice rise, write that letter and include those points, it will be good to see a few banks start to struggle with the same millstone they have hung round the rest of British industry and everybody else outside of the housing hoopla they have created.

Edited by OnlyMe

One thing is for sure is that I'm not going to continue to be a person who hands over rent money to a landlord who then makes BTL mortgage repayments to the bank I work for. I'm not going to struggle to exist so that those parties can make their greedy profits.

Good luck, objective. I hope you can channel your obvious anger into something positive for the future.

:lol: x 10

Good on you, both of them have been a "vital stepping stone". If your Boss is perplexed remind him that jobs are well functioning "market".

Onwards and upwards and best of luck.

Mate..

against inflation house prices are twice as high as they were in the boom of the eighties..

took those poor saps 7-8 years to get back into equity..

and that was with inflation..

and.. sorry I just realised.. you know you are speaking tosh.. and you are just goadin us..

Easy target replied..

duh..

Ask them what deal they will make - it will be cheaper to give you the 7K than to find a replacement.

I doubt they'll offer to put my salary up from 20K to 27K and also switch my pension saving from Money Purchase to Final Salary. The climate in the company is all about cost cutting. This year I even had to write a business plan to acquire a desperaately needed colour printer for my colleagues. The business plan went all the way up to the Chairman for him to authorise the purchase (There are over 10,000 employees), the company is a very large Irish Bank). I told my soon to be new employers this at my interview and they found it hilarious.

Yes, I am angry. I suppose angry with myself for going to University, instead of getting a routine job and buying a house, and am now having to share a house with strangers and put up with no central heating as my Landlord is too tight to get the boiler fixed.

I'll let everyone know what my boss says to the "unaffordable housing" reason for resigning.

nd you footer..

only 1 in 6 landlords can't cover their costs with rent..

Well..

Look at it this way.. house prices are very high..

but havent been for that long.

so those 1 in 6.. I am guessing it wasn't those who bought when prices were a third of what they are now..

Was it..

No one is saying you can't make money as a landlord.

but you can't in devon, not if you borrowed to buy..

I doubt they'll offer to put my salary up from 20K to 27K and also switch my pension saving from Money Purchase to Final Salary. The climate in the company is all about cost cutting. This year I even had to write a business plan to acquire a desperaately needed colour printer for my colleagues. The business plan went all the way up to the Chairman for him to authorise the purchase (There are over 10,000 employees), the company is a very large Irish Bank). I told my soon to be new employers this at my interview and they found it hilarious.

Yes, I am angry. I suppose angry with myself for going to University, instead of getting a routine job and buying a house, and am now having to share a house with strangers and put up with no central heating as my Landlord is too tight to get the boiler fixed.

I'll let everyone know what my boss says to the "unaffordable housing" reason for resigning.

I love it :lol: yet another example of George Ritzers theory about the Irrationality of Rationality.

Personally I'd be submitting all sorts of requests. "We need more copy paper. OK I'll do a report and send it to the CEO" I'd form committee's to examine the best photocopy paper to buy taking into consideration GSM, recycled content (looks good to the customers), price, availability, the feasability of numbering each page to minimise theft. I love beaurocracy's (sp) according to Weber beaurocracy is the the best way to run large organisations but they are so focused on the process and not the outcome. They are great for a laugh or if you want a shorter life span you can get stressed at their stupidity. I prefer to laugh. Just today to save a few dollars (literally) a large organisation made three staff members work 10 hours without a break. I can assure you that any $$$ saving was negligable :rolleyes:

and there was me knowing that "large banks" hand out special mortgage rates to their employees. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

use your brain. don't give any reasons why you are leaving in writing, just a simple resignation letter. tell them why if you wish. that resignation letter with the reason for leaving in it (housing costs) will come back to haunt you some day. your present employer may let any new employer see it (off the record) and it will make you look silly ! trust me.

Brilliant, love it.

Maybe ask for a pay rise first. Just for a laugh! I don't think citing high house prices in your resignition letter would make you look silly, something along the lines of: inflationary pressures in accomodation and travel mean you have to seek more financially rewarding employment.

I'm sure they'll understand what inflation is. After all, they are a bank!

Nice one - good luck with the new job.

BG

Brilliant, love it.

Maybe ask for a pay rise first. Just for a laugh! I don't think citing high house prices in your resignition letter would make you look silly, something along the lines of: inflationary pressures in accomodation and travel mean you have to seek more financially rewarding employment.

I'm sure they'll understand what inflation is. After all, they are a bank!

Nice one - good luck with the new job.

BG

yeah, who cares what they think or if some unimaginative deskbound muppet thinks you're silly. This is your moment, the one opportunity you will get to speak frankly about your employment without suffering any consequences. Give 'em both barrels!

My only advice would be this:

you've coped on £20K...now you have £7K more to play with...if you can, save every single pound you now earn but didnt need before.

That's really patronising but someone gave me that advcie once and it's worked out well.

My only advice would be this:

you've coped on £20K...now you have £7K more to play with...if you can, save every single pound you now earn but didnt need before.

That's really patronising but someone gave me that advcie once and it's worked out well.

it's more or less what I've been doing this last year since my wage went up by 50%. I now have savings greater than my total debts were when I started. And a brand new bike & extensive experience of seafood.

Nice.

Is 20k for a graduate in banking correct? seems a bit low?

How long had you been there?

Genuine.

Average starting salary for a graduate is £14,000

only £16,000 in London.

Actually that was a few years back.

and wages have actually dropped in the country..

Perhaps is less now??

and no comments about blah.. blah...

We can't get paid more unless there is inflation.

I do.. but I am older.. and like a fine wine better..:)

What will you do if your boss offers you a 8K+ increase in salary? Unlikely you may think, but a reaction for which you should be prepared.