House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Public Sector Goodbyes May Be Capped At Only £95,000

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2895010/Tories-pledge-ban-six-figure-golden-goodbyes-public-sector-pay-offs-limited-95-000.html

Tories pledge to ban six-figure golden goodbyes in public sector with pay-offs limited to £95,000
  • Manifesto promises introduction of new ‘public sector redundancy pay cap’
  • Tory sources say party wants to end culture of obscene 'golden goodbyes'
  • Under plans, pay-offs will be limited to £95,000 in all but exceptional cases
  • Senior managers will have to hand back some of their pay-off if they take another public sector job within a year

If this gets anywhere near coming I'm guessing we will see an exodus of top talent.

I love the idea that £95k payout isn't excessive!

I know a software developer at Manchester university who got 70k payoff after working there 4 years and returned to his job couple of years later

It's not the senior managers who get silly payoffs, it was everyone under the last govt

And a royal mail middle manager on indefinite gardening leave at £30,000+ per year

Oh the largesse of the last govt literally knew no limits

that ensures the public sector votes labour then..? At 50% plus of total employment , are the tories trying to lose ? Everyone loves free money and the public sector entitled more so.. Woud have been news if labour had made this promise..

Why don't they bring this in NOW. Why are they trying to bribe us to vote for them?

I know silly question.

Its like everything else they will talk about populist policies and changes until the election and then do f all when they get elected . Same old Same old

Why don't they bring this in NOW. Why are they trying to bribe us to vote for them?

I know silly question.

Exactly......that is why I will no longer vote for them.

I know a software developer at Manchester university who got 70k payoff after working there 4 years and returned to his job couple of years later

It's not the senior managers who get silly payoffs, it was everyone under the last govt

Seems strange that they were entitled to such a payoff as most academic staff are on shitty 1-2 year contract and when that is up its "****** off" with no payoff at all. They must have given him a permanent contract when it wasn't necessary.

Seems strange that they were entitled to such a payoff as most academic staff are on shitty 1-2 year contract and when that is up its "****** off" with no payoff at all. They must have given him a permanent contract when it wasn't necessary.

New permanent contracts bit like ASTs are now 52 weeks revolving.....still an improvement on zero hours. ;)

He wasn't an academic, he was in Admin, who get permie positions like in any other industry

So when has Unison scheduled strikes for, in response to this gross provocation by the 'tory led coalishun'?

When the weather's a bit warmer

Civil Service compulsory redundancy payments are already capped at a maximum of 12 months wages depending on length of service though voluntary severance terms may be negotiated up to 21 months salary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8049044/Civil-servants-win-right-to-21-months-redundancy-pay-but-PCS-holds-out-for-more.html

They would have to be on a pretty big salary to blow that £95,000 cap now being touted.

What most people do not realise is that many of the the elite jobs in Whitehall are negotiated on separate fixed term contracts where the severance terms are agreed up front. These are all negotiated separately so I am not sure what difference these proposals are going to make

This looks like a pre-election puff piece

that ensures the public sector votes labour then..? At 50% plus of total employment , are the tories trying to lose ? Everyone loves free money and the public sector entitled more so.. Woud have been news if labour had made this promise..

I'm public sector and won't be voting Labour, most of my colleagues from what I can gather won't be bothering to vote at all. Apart from the militant leftie fringe you get everywhere,the public sector labour voter is generally a myth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2895010/Tories-pledge-ban-six-figure-golden-goodbyes-public-sector-pay-offs-limited-95-000.html

If this gets anywhere near coming I'm guessing we will see an exodus of top talent.

I love the idea that £95k payout isn't excessive!

..top talent ...your sarcasm is correct...the self serving people in these jobs are accountable to us the tax payer ....and the tax payer says no to this misuse of funds .. :rolleyes:

..top talent ...your sarcasm is correct...the self serving people in these jobs are accountable to us the tax payer ....and the tax payer says no to this misuse of funds .. :rolleyes:

I have had the misfortune of having to deal with the local council recently,

the people I had to deal with were arrogant and inefficient, errors have been made on every document sent to me and delays have been caused by their sheer laziness and stupidity, it's not sour grapes either, I got what I wanted

I have no sympathy for any cuts or reorganising of planning departments.. a lot of these people wouldn't survive a week in the real world

I'm public sector and won't be voting Labour, most of my colleagues from what I can gather won't be bothering to vote at all. Apart from the militant leftie fringe you get everywhere,the public sector labour voter is generally a myth.

The entrenched troughing managers, and teachers and nurses, that I've met, are commonly very loyal to labour. But as a general rule what you say is consistent with my experience.

The entrenched troughing managers, and teachers and nurses, that I've met, are commonly very loyal to labour. But as a general rule what you say is consistent with my experience.

Had a discussion with a retired teacher that actually thought Labour could always win if only they could get White Van man to vote. Hmmm, I think White Van man has worked out that he is merely a drone to support those more equal like retired public sectors workers. But I guess when you believe in the Magic Money Tree then the thinking is that all workers have access to it. No they don't.

... and you get a uniform!

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service advertises for a new chief officer - on £150k

C_71_article_1597538_image_list_image_li

THE fire service is advertising for a new chief officer. The prestigious post in Greater Manchester attracts a salary of around £150,000.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service’s current top officer, County Fire Officer Steve McGuirk, has previously announced plans to retire although a date for his departure has yet to be confirmed. Mr McGuirk has been in charge since 2009 after succeeding Barry Dixon. Applicants are now being urged to send in their CVs to the fire service’s headquarters in Swinton. Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is one of the largest fire and rescue services in the country. The application form reveals the fire service covers an area of approximately 500 square miles and looks after 2.5m people. The role ‘requires a person of exceptional calibre with proven strategic and operational command experience within a similar organisation’, it adds. Mr McGuirk, whose brother was previously head of the Merseyside fire service, joined as a cadet in 1976 and is now the longest serving firefighter in the brigade, having notched up 39 years.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/fire-service-advertises-new-chief-8393191

... and you get a uniform!

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service advertises for a new chief officer - on £150k

C_71_article_1597538_image_list_image_li

THE fire service is advertising for a new chief officer. The prestigious post in Greater Manchester attracts a salary of around £150,000.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service’s current top officer, County Fire Officer Steve McGuirk, has previously announced plans to retire although a date for his departure has yet to be confirmed. Mr McGuirk has been in charge since 2009 after succeeding Barry Dixon. Applicants are now being urged to send in their CVs to the fire service’s headquarters in Swinton. Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is one of the largest fire and rescue services in the country. The application form reveals the fire service covers an area of approximately 500 square miles and looks after 2.5m people. The role ‘requires a person of exceptional calibre with proven strategic and operational command experience within a similar organisation’, it adds. Mr McGuirk, whose brother was previously head of the Merseyside fire service, joined as a cadet in 1976 and is now the longest serving firefighter in the brigade, having notched up 39 years.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/fire-service-advertises-new-chief-8393191

Can anyone give statistics of house / industrial fires and there increase/decline over the past 50 years

Can anyone give statistics of house / industrial fires and there increase/decline over the past 50 years

Certainly plenty around 1941....it was then deemed an unimportant job for the elderly. Guess health and safety wouldn't cover man handling incendiaries off the roof of St Pauls without a harness these days.

Certainly plenty around 1941....it was then deemed an unimportant job for the elderly. Guess health and safety wouldn't cover man handling incendiaries off the roof of St Pauls without a harness these days.

Firemen never give that out, I suspect it's a lot less thanks to improved fuse boxes/products etc.

Nowadays they seem to excel at pointlessly cutting tops off crashed cars

Firemen never give that out, I suspect it's a lot less thanks to improved fuse boxes/products etc.

Nowadays they seem to excel at pointlessly cutting tops off crashed cars

The fact is it isn't a dangerous occupation and it is actually health enhancing as opposed to detrimental.

The jobs that I can think of that are especially dangerous are farmers and roofers. Both not only might kill you but you will end up with shot knees and shot lungs with inhaling tar and grain etc. I know of so many crippled roofers and farmers and dead ones too locally, ending up in grain silos and being sat on by bulls.

Reward no longer matches risk. The firemen would argue they have to pick up the pieces from the dead farmers and splattered roofers.

I guess being a firemen is a reward for being the best, meanwhile the uneducated can be put in the firing line and paid peanuts for doing the worst and hardest work.

http://listverse.com/2008/08/26/top-10-most-fatal-occupations/

Edited by crashmonitor