House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevie_nottm

Absent Landlord

Have been trying to speak to my landlord for the past three weeks, after it was

suggested by their agent that the issue i need to raise (..leaving early) needs

to be discussed with the LL, and not the agent..

Fine I thought, speak to the organ grinder, not the monkey, etc, but having tried

several times to get to talk to them, all i get is an answerphone.

Three weeks later, Im still trying...Whats the score with an absentee landlord...??

Its just as well there isnt a big problem with something like the roof falling in or

the walls have fell in...other i'd be stuck!!!

As thje landlord is providing his required service(eg repairs and the like) by having appointed an agent, there is nothing wrong with an absentee landlord. The real question here is whether leaving early requires express permission from the landlord, or whether it requires you to serve notice and the landlord needs to expressly refuse it. In this case, as the proposal would break the current signed contract, it would have to be an express agreement with the landlord, so to answer....there is nothing you can do until you get in touch with the landlord....sorry! Although of course you can serve notice of you leaving to the agent, but cannot come to an "amicable agreement" with them.

As thje landlord is providing his required service(eg repairs and the like) by having appointed an agent, there is nothing wrong with an absentee landlord. The real question here is whether leaving early requires express permission from the landlord, or whether it requires you to serve notice and the landlord needs to expressly refuse it. In this case, as the proposal would break the current signed contract, it would have to be an express agreement with the landlord, so to answer....there is nothing you can do until you get in touch with the landlord....sorry! Although of course you can serve notice of you leaving to the agent, but cannot come to an "amicable agreement" with them.

Tell the lazy agent to get off his ar5e and do his job. He is paid to be the intermediary so you don't have to contact the landlord in any way. YOU should not have to waste your time in dealing with the landlord.

If it is not resolved then refuse to pay the rent until it is. That should bring him out of the woodwork.

The other scenario here is that the agent or a member of his family is the landlord. Has been known to happen before.

Erm lucan please be extremely careful with your advice. Namely dont talk out of your ****. The poster has NO basis whatsoever to withhold rent in this situation, and would find himself in hot water if he tried to do so. Also, this is way above and beyond the agents job....remember that the tenant has NO contract with the agent, only the landlord does. If the agent agrees to terminate the agreement prematurely without the permission of the landlord, they will get screwed. The agents are doing their job, as agreed with the LANDLORD, and continuing the tenancy.

Please Lord Lucan, if you feel the urge to spout such verbal diarrhoea again, keep your mouth firmly shut. In this business, bad advice is much much worse than no advice at all.

Hehe..dont worry..I understand his meaning!!!

Back to subject though is I never know whose really the person I should be directing my

actions at. On one hand, i pay my money directly to the landlord and have her number

when it comes to issues on repairs etc, but I signed my contract and deposit went to the

manager of the lettings agency. I'd have thought he's taking a 10% cut or whatever, so

he should be doing something for his percentage at least...

As he's asked me to discuss early vacation with the landlord rather than discuss it with him,

sounds like im in a triangle of conversations...

Three weeks is a long time to wait for a reply....even if i'm told to sod off!

Who you direct your questions to does depend on the type of service the agent is providing for the landlord e.g.:

* find and reference prospective tenants only

* above plus manage rent collection - landlord responsible for day to day mangement

* fully managed

You should have been told which option is in operation at the start of the tenancy.

If the agent is not helping the situation, I suggest you write directly to the landlord - use recorded delivery. The landlord's address should be in your tenancy agreement.

Ending the tenancy outside the terms stated in your contract will require mutual agreement. If you want to serve notice, within the grounds set out in the tenancy agreement, on the landlord I suggest you do this writing to the agent and landlord

You may also want to comment on the service being provided by the agent. If my agent was acting in the way you stated I would be very unhappy.

Taking a firm but polite stance is normally the best course of action.

Erm lucan please be extremely careful with your advice. Namely dont talk out of your ****. The poster has NO basis whatsoever to withhold rent in this situation, and would find himself in hot water if he tried to do so. Also, this is way above and beyond the agents job....remember that the tenant has NO contract with the agent, only the landlord does. If the agent agrees to terminate the agreement prematurely without the permission of the landlord, they will get screwed. The agents are doing their job, as agreed with the LANDLORD, and continuing the tenancy.

Please Lord Lucan, if you feel the urge to spout such verbal diarrhoea again, keep your mouth firmly shut. In this business, bad advice is much much worse than no advice at all.

You're not his agent are you? :lol:

No Lucan, I'm not.

With regards Mr Mash...I personally don't believe his agent is acting badly in any way, see my reasons above. From what you describe, OP, the agent was hired on a "let only" basis anyway, as it seems as if the landlord is managing the property. In this case you certainly cant do anything with regards the agent.

No Lucan, I'm not.

With regards Mr Mash...I personally don't believe his agent is acting badly in any way, see my reasons above. From what you describe, OP, the agent was hired on a "let only" basis anyway, as it seems as if the landlord is managing the property. In this case you certainly cant do anything with regards the agent.

My mistake, I incorrectly read that he was having difficulties with both the agent *and* the landlord. I agree, in this case the agent is not a position to help, all stevie_nottm can do is to continue to try contacting the landlord by letter, phone or pigeon post

Edited by MrMash