House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John The Pessimist

Squeal Piggies, Squeal!

Telegraph piece attacking EA's new website as 'anti-homeowner'. I don't really see how it's really an issue if the market is booming. However if the market were falling......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/11317894/Why-selling-your-home-in-2015-is-about-to-become-a-real-headache.html

Edit, duplicate post, Mods please delete!

Edited by John The Pessimist

It is an issue. The agents don't like paying Rightmove and Zoopla fees, so they're trying to set up their own alternative and use anti-competitive practices to grab a monopoly for it.

Can't imagine them succeeding. And if they did they'd create a monster that would make them (and us) nostalgic for Rightmove and Zoopla. But they are indeed fragmenting their own market, making it harder for both buyers and sellers to get the best deal.

[edit] When I say "the agents", I mean *some* agents. Others are more honest.

Edited by porca misèria

And if they did they'd create a monster that would make them (and us) nostalgic for Rightmove and Zoopla. But they are indeed fragmenting their own market, making it harder for both buyers and sellers to get the best deal

I think this is a positive development... on balance. Yes, it implies market fragmentation - but... this introduces competition... which I see driving prices down. I don't see any real competition between Zoopla and Rightmove.

If you want to buy a house/flat you work at it you look at rightmove every day, you then find out there is an agent locally that's only on primelocation, so you look at that.

trying to buy a house requires a bit of work, so you need to look at the right portals. I suspect rightmove and perhaps zoopla will survive, the new estate agent one will as well.

until of course something better comes along.

as for online agents you really need to work hard to find any of their properties and their sales are miniscule. moral of story is you pay for what you get, they are all tossers, but some are less than others.

Put an add in your local paper and on-line, newsagent window, staff noticeboard and a sign where all can see. ;)

2931809.png

friend of mine had a rental in the northwest about 30 yrs ago. he got his new tenants through the local paper. in the days before mobiles, he gave his parents home phone number, because they would be in. half the calls would be along the lines of have you got a hairy fanny, if his mother answered. not best pleased.

Telegraph piece attacking EA's new website as 'anti-homeowner'. I don't really see how it's really an issue if the market is booming. However if the market were falling......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/11317894/Why-selling-your-home-in-2015-is-about-to-become-a-real-headache.html

Savills, Knight Frank, Chestertons, Strutt & Parker, Douglas & Gordon and Glentree Estates have formed a not-for-profit organisation called Agents’ Mutual and signed up 4,000 branches to their own new sales and lettings website

a not-for-profit organisation, set up by for profit biz to promote for profit biz :unsure:

On their site at bottom of page it says "Agents' Mutual Limited. A Company Limited By Guarantee "

http://www.agentsmutual.co.uk/

Shouldn't that be - A not -for-profit Company Limited By Guarantee

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I think this is a positive development... on balance. Yes, it implies market fragmentation - but... this introduces competition... which I see driving prices down. I don't see any real competition between Zoopla and Rightmove.

Competition for whom? The estate agents are simply trying to maintain their uncompetitive position by denying consumers the ability to fully understand the market. You need perfect information for a competitive market to work successfully, and making it more difficult to access all properties on one website makes information all that much harder to obtain for the final consumer.

Competition for whom? The estate agents are simply trying to maintain their uncompetitive position by denying consumers the ability to fully understand the market. You need perfect information for a competitive market to work successfully, and making it more difficult to access all properties on one website makes information all that much harder to obtain for the final consumer.

I wonder if this is also to do with RM and Zoopla adding reduction and previous price info to listings. I'm sure EAs would feel undermined by that.

The move was deemed by opponents to be anti-consumer, because a vendor’s home could sit for two days or more on a relatively unknown site, missing out on the influx of traffic to Rightmove, which attracts 90m visitors a month, and Zoopla, which reports monthly visitor numbers of 45m.

Two whole days on an unknown site? Does anyone really think this will make any difference one way or the other?

friend of mine had a rental in the northwest about 30 yrs ago. he got his new tenants through the local paper. in the days before mobiles, he gave his parents home phone number, because they would be in. half the calls would be along the lines of have you got a hairy fanny, if his mother answered. not best pleased.

Always wondered what an estate agents job was.....to filter out the time wasters.

It's not competition. They're using restrictive clauses to try and kill competition. At the expense of their users: both buyers and sellers.

I wish I had some tech-startup know-how. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to start a new site that's more competitive that Rightmove/Zoopla.

Setting up a website with similar functionality is the easy bit. Getting public mindshare - the buyers and sellers that make the difference between a nice prototype or demo and a viable commercial site - is the hard bit.

It's not competition. They're using restrictive clauses to try and kill competition. At the expense of their users: both buyers and sellers.

Setting up a website with similar functionality is the easy bit. Getting public mindshare - the buyers and sellers that make the difference between a nice prototype or demo and a viable commercial site - is the hard bit.

I'd say it would be impossible to drive traffic to the site unless you spent a fortune on marketing it.

Would any purely EA-run website show the info most helpful to buyers, i.e.how long it's been on the market and by how much it's been reduced? One of the things I like best about zoopla is the 'most reduced' search option, and how easy it is to see that a place has been reduced once a month since last June.

Would any purely EA-run website show the info most helpful to buyers, i.e.how long it's been on the market and by how much it's been reduced? One of the things I like best about zoopla is the 'most reduced' search option, and how easy it is to see that a place has been reduced once a month since last June.

I think the reduced bit is a red herring: it doesn't hurt agents, and they know the punters reaction to reductions varies a lot so it may be a carrot for some and a warning label to others.

What they're really trying to squeeze out of the market is the low-cost DIY agents that enable people to list at Zoopla and Rightmove without paying thousands in commission when a house sells. The EAs walled garden won't allow them.

Always wondered what an estate agents job was.....to filter out the time wasters.

Or have hairy fanny on tap?

A good EA will provide a filtering service and nag the people in the chain - buyers, banks, surveyors, LA.

A bad EA will take some photos and put them on rightmove.

You will only find out which type you have until something goes wrong - as they always do.

I don't mind an EA being a ***** as long as hes my *****.

Why oh why oh why EA don't bite the bullet as flog off their office on the high street and move to a cheap, fabricated block in the local busines part - cheap rates, free parking - just like the accountant. Shoe all the ads on the interweb; no-one looks in windows anymore.

Answer - a lot of EAs are typical UK - the commercial real estate is their pension/business.

Problem is its worth a lot less now.

I'd say it would be impossible to drive traffic to the site unless you spent a fortune on marketing it.

Yeah, to start with you need a catchy name like webuyanyhouse.com ..... ooops, someone beat me to it.

Why oh why oh why EA don't bite the bullet as flog off their office on the high street and move to a cheap, fabricated block in the local busines part - cheap rates, free parking - just like the accountant. Shoe all the ads on the interweb; no-one looks in windows anymore.

This. These days you find a house you like online, then you meet the agent at the property. Why the hell do you need a shop on the high street??!?!

High Street EAs are even dumber than they look if they think setting up another property portal is going to stop buyers from receiving email notifications of the properties the online-only EAs post on other sites.