House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

porca misèria

Self-Awareness At The Bbc

Radio 4 are trailing a new comedy slot. Not quite sure when: possibly even the peak-time 18:30 half hour one evening.

It's a lady comedian, and the trail is that she tried to find any trace of discrimination or misogyny on which to base a feminist rant (how very BBC that would be). But she failed, so instead she'll do a show about the marginalisation of white, middle class men.

Dunno if the show itself will be any good, but I liked that splendid dig at BBC orthodoxy in the trailer. Though I daresay by the time the show comes on I'll've heard it so often as to be sick of it.

I like the "old" BBC, with Round the Horne, and the Navy Lark. This could be the"the Constipation of Comedy".

Radio 4 are trailing a new comedy slot. Not quite sure when: possibly even the peak-time 18:30 half hour one evening.

It's a lady comedian, and the trail is that she tried to find any trace of discrimination or misogyny on which to base a feminist rant (how very BBC that would be). But she failed, so instead she'll do a show about the marginalisation of white, middle class men.

Dunno if the show itself will be any good, but I liked that splendid dig at BBC orthodoxy in the trailer. Though I daresay by the time the show comes on I'll've heard it so often as to be sick of it.

Well, let's hope so. The News Quiz and the Now Show are basically unlistenable to these days. The BBC used to do really excellent radio comedy but, for some reason, abandoned it all to run endless 'hur, hur, f*cking tories' sub-student BS. Even if you don't like the Tories (and I'm certainly no great fan) it just isn't funny.

Well, let's hope so. The News Quiz and the Now Show are basically unlistenable to these days. The BBC used to do really excellent radio comedy but, for some reason, abandoned it all to run endless 'hur, hur, f*cking tories' sub-student BS. Even if you don't like the Tories (and I'm certainly no great fan) it just isn't funny.

Clare in the Community used to be a good laugh, and it amazed me at first that the Beeb would take the P out of social workers.

Sally Phillips is always brilliant.

Clare in the Community used to be a good laugh, and it amazed me at first that the Beeb would take the P out of social workers.

Yes, good point, I'd forgotten about that one. It's a rare gem in the midden-heap though.

Yeah but George Bush looks like a monkey!

Never. Gets. Old.

What bugs me is that we currently have politicians of all political persuasions who are such great satirical material and yet BBC radio no longer seems capable of using the material handed to it on a plate. It never rises much beyond unfunny name calling any more.

They were playing old goon shows the other weekend...apologised for the UNPC script and said they wouldnt be allowed to sript a show this way today....but they still aired it...a live show in front of an audience of soldiers...and pretty good it was too.

They were playing old goon shows the other weekend...apologised for the UNPC script and said they wouldnt be allowed to sript a show this way today....but they still aired it...a live show in front of an audience of soldiers...and pretty good it was too.

Smashing! ;)

They did a long piece mocking Nigel Farage just before it

The Last Days of Farage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03m7zb7

I can't figure out their agenda with Farage.

They seem to be attacking him, yet they're really attacking a strawman that bears little resemblence to him. Why would they do that, when there's so much about the a***hole himself they could legitimately attack?

Could it be they're still backing him? They've spent a decade building him up, treating him seriously, not (until the last year or so) giving him a remotely hard time as they do any normal politician, giving him much more airtime than any other politician. Have they now just switched to purporting to ridicule him in a way designed to deflect attention from anyone who ridicules him for real?

Not sure that really is taking the P out of social workers. The caricature is just too grotesque to hit home. Not really any more about social workers than "cabin pressure" is about airline pilots. Or than that silly show this evening was about Farage.

[edit] I take that back about Clare. She's a caricature but she's not detached from the reality of a station that gives us Wimmins Hour in all seriousness six days a week. :wacko:

I can't figure out their agenda with Farage.

They seem to be attacking him, yet they're really attacking a strawman that bears little resemblence to him. Why would they do that, when there's so much about the a***hole himself they could legitimately attack?

Could it be they're still backing him? They've spent a decade building him up, treating him seriously, not (until the last year or so) giving him a remotely hard time as they do any normal politician, giving him much more airtime than any other politician. Have they now just switched to purporting to ridicule him in a way designed to deflect attention from anyone who ridicules him for real?

I was listening to it, and I guess if anyone was a mild supporter of UKIP, they would be more polarised towards UKIP(?!) Odd. A fair amount of money I guess was spent on the production, and it would have hit the typical R4 listener at prime time, commuting home from work.

Would they make one about Cameron or Milliband?