House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oliver Sutton

Time To Get Rid Of Xmas?

Have a Winterval festival on 21st December.

Have something real to celebrate instead of an ancient irrelevant myth.

Teach children about why it's the shortest day and other wonders of the universe.

Various religions can still celebrate their various conflicting child-like mythologies the way they want to.

Edited

Sorry, title should really be "Time To Get Rid Of Christmas as a National Holiday?".

People should obviously be allowed to believe and celebrate what they want.

I'd like to go back to Scandinavian mythology. I've no idea about the details, but it all sounds like so much more fun. Trolls under bridges, elves, mooses, midnight feasts, dancing round bonfires, gods with hammers and lightning, that sort of stuff.

It's good to teach children that 'Father Christmas' and 'God' are myths peddled by VI's so that when they grow up they will understand the way the world works and how 'sheeple' like the 99% are.

I was never taught such things, and it took me a long time for realisation to kick in.

How about scrap bank holidays altogether and allow people to take them off when they choose?

'Winterval' might negate the religious nonsense, but its still nonsense to insist you take a holiday on a set date whether it suits you or not.

Mine haven't even begun yet.

Are You Orthodox, and do it at the wrong time?

I didn't spend a penny this Christmas. Just think the whole thing is jammed down your throat to increase GDP.

Teach children about why it's the shortest day and other wonders of the universe.

Various religions can still celebrate their various conflicting child-like mythologies the way they want to.

Edited

Sorry, title should really be "Time To Get Rid Of Christmas as a National Holiday?".

....call it what you will, another bank holiday to open the presents people have spent time and money buying.....surely it ultimately pays for itself.....you don't require a holiday to meet up with friends and relatives or practice a faith. ;)

How about scrap bank holidays altogether and allow people to take them off when they choose?

'Winterval' might negate the religious nonsense, but its still nonsense to insist you take a holiday on a set date whether it suits you or not.

Winter can be a pretty miserable time.

Nice to have an excuse to veg out.

II've heard it said that Americans enjoy Thanksgiving a lot because it comes with no baggage.

Edited

Christmas already incorporates a lot of old pagan stuff - all the holly and ivy and merrymaking has pre Christian origins - anything to brighten up the Bleak Midwinter. Christmas is a lot more low key in Southern Europe where winters are not so long and hard.

'Winterval' was what some miserable killjoy über-PC council wanted to impose a while ago, in order not to offend minorities, who in the vast majority of cases are not offended anyway. The killjoy Cromwell banned Christmas, too - just as well so many miserable Puritans shipped themselves off to the US - good riddance.

I didn't spend a penny this Christmas. Just think the whole thing is jammed down your throat to increase GDP.

Seems to be a way of getting expenditure on stuff we don't need...and God stuff bores the life out of me as does shopping.

Wouldn't be that bad if we could keep our presents to useful stuff like bottles of red wine rather than jumpers covered in bloody snowmen.

How do women keep up the wonder of shopping. It's just stuff, it clutters the house, it is a liability. how can you not get bored with stuff.

New Year's Eve should be in summer. Street parties and all. Winter is a crap time of year for a new start.

In the light of what the celebrations are really for ( trade) lets ban Valentines day, fathers, mothers, sisters, lovers, and whatever else days we are inventing for any quiet weekend.

Of course, we could not ban anything, and let people feel free to not participate...which, as far as I am aware, is the actual state of affairs today and always has been.

When you are single and have no kids it is christmas everyday.

You must buy an awful lot of presents then.

Call it what you want; I think it's great. It's a set period in the darkest time of the year that everybody can look forward to through November and December and which everybody (bar Bossybabe) has off from work so they can meet up with family, friends and relations and enjoy themselves.

I keep it to the actual Christmas period (be it two, three or four days). I really enjoy it and then go back to work and enjoy the quiet and lack of traffic.

However as per the NYE thread NYE is something I would ignore from choice like Hallowe'en now that it's mutated into some dire horror theme party.

New Year's Eve should be in summer. Street parties and all. Winter is a crap time of year for a new start.

In Sweden Midsummer - the longest day - is a big thing. Maybe in other Nordic countries, too.

Maybe it's time to bring back a good old pagan festival, assuming we used to do it too.

In the light of what the celebrations are really for ( trade) lets ban Valentines day, fathers, mothers, sisters, lovers, and whatever else days we are inventing for any quiet weekend.

Of course, we could not ban anything, and let people feel free to not participate...which, as far as I am aware, is the actual state of affairs today and always has been.

No-one's talking of banning it.

Just not have it as a National Holiday. No legal or political status. Just an "observance day" for those inclined.

Having a National Holiday based on something real which everybody can celebrate would be much better.

Just not have it as a National Holiday. No legal or political status. Just an "observance day" for those inclined.

Having a National Holiday based on something real which everybody can celebrate would be much better.

wot?...in a diverse multicultural society like UK?...you are avin a larf....

You are having a laugh....there is nothing everyone would agree to celebrate......so stick to Christmas, and leave those not interested to pick their own particular favourite time of year....May Day is a good alternative.....loved dancing around the maypole. ;)

Too much information.

(But respect to your bladder).

It isn't quite. You might have to be pretty strong-willed to opt out of all the humbuggery.

Too much information.

(But respect to your bladder).

It isn't quite. You might have to be pretty strong-willed to opt out of all the humbuggery.

indeed, but you CAN opt out by simply not doing.

There is no need to change the name, the date, ban decorations or trees. Its part of UK culture, but like the druids at Stonehenge, one doesnt have to condemn or be offended by what the others are doing...its not like we are sacrificing chickens or turkeys is it?