House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Easter Eggs

Dunno 'bout the Easter eggs, but my local Co-op has Johnny Walker Red Label at £16 a bottle - and I confirm that I have consumed plenty...

:)

XYY

This won't help my waistline. I think this has been the norm for a couple of years at least. Certainly Cadbury's Creme Eggs appear on the shelves on 1st January. I do love mini eggs too. Sorry fasting/vitamin D nutjobs!

Says the special flower who's already been to the co-op and Sainsburys on this bank holiday.

You are the second person to have a pop at me for going to the shops today lol

In my defence shops on bank holidays are good places for:

1. Flirting with other singles.

2. Looking at all the unhappy married people whose only refuge is going to the shops to buy a pint of milk.

Divorce Monday coming up ;)

2. Looking at all the unhappy married people whose only refuge is going to the shops to buy a pint of milk.

I can't be a**ed to leave my flat today but I'll bear this in mind for next Bank Holiday. B)

Back on topic, I understand Cadburys Creme Eggs are now on sale again.

I can't be a**ed to leave my flat today but I'll bear this in mind for next Bank Holiday. B)

Back on topic, I understand Cadburys Creme Eggs are now on sale again.

Yes, they are in the above mentioned shops. Ditto Cadbury mini eggs and various other chocolate eggs.

You are the second person to have a pop at me for going to the shops today lol

No worries, we are off to IKEA!

Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute on the subject of easter eggs, as I don't celebrate easter or eat eggs. IKEA, on the other hand, recently played a large role in my life. Hadn't been there for years, and now I'm sitting in one of their chairs. (Not really, I'm sitting in another chair. But I could be.) Have a seat.

Says the special flower who's already been to the co-op and Sainsburys on this bank holiday.

We're still eating leftovers. Just offloaded a stack of my nice baked gammon to daughter and fiance who used the hotel of M and D last night. And half a dozen mince pies - save Mr B feeling obliged to polish them off.

The Co-Op in Mumbles have Easter eggs on the shelves.

The consumerism cycle must be forever constantly pedalled.

I saw one store - Tesco I think - with easter stuff on Christmas Eve. Poor little baby Jesus hasn't even been born yet, and they want to bury him.

Did they bury him in an egg? Always wondered what Easter Eggs had to do with Easter.

It is another tradition hijacked by the Christians or, more likely, that the Christian Churches tried to erradicate but people just kept on doing it... so it eventually became part of Easter.

Across Europe there is a myth about a goddess who found a dying bird and, so that it could survive the winter, she transformed it into a hare. The hare survived winter but found that it could still lay eggs - rebirth cycle and all that.

Hence why it has long been a tradition across Northern European countries of painting eggs during the Spring as a gift to the goddess - no doubt as a thank you for surviving a harsh winter and the arrival of Spring.

Over time the goddess bit has been forgotten and just sublimated in the Christian Easter festival.

Did they bury him in an egg? Always wondered what Easter Eggs had to do with Easter.

As with so many parallels between Christian lore and pagan symbolism and sacred astronomy, Easter does tend to pop up conveniently close to the vernal equinox

wiki: Lieldienas

Eggs were associated with Lieldienas. One who steals an egg will be poor. One who eats a hard-boiled egg without salt is a liar. A girl who gives a boy two eggs doesn't like him; three eggs mean there is a chance she likes; four eggs means she doesn't like him but will be with him because he is richer; five eggs means she loves him.

and even though not mentioned in the wiki entry on the origins of the Easter Bunny, my understanding is that lady hares can store gentlemen hares' baby batter inside their bodies for some time. Consequently, going back at least as far as the Romans, folk noticed that captive hares could get pregnant without male hares present.

During school holidays? You're mad! All those teachers mooching about looking for cushions.

It was raining, we wanted to get out of the house and my house guest wanted to visit so it was technically a business trip.

As with so many parallels between Christian lore and pagan symbolism and sacred astronomy, Easter does tend to pop up conveniently close to the vernal equinox

It is all about rebirth and renewal. For some of my chums this is Ostara, others go to Church and sing hymns.

You can't move in this country for women handing out eggs to blokes ;)

What? Five eggs?

Christmas is derived from the pagan celebrations that mark the shortest day.

The Easter bunny is derived from the lore of a long-forgotten Lupus religion, which celebrated March 3rd, which is the widest day.

Christmas is derived from the pagan celebrations that mark the shortest day.

The Easter bunny is derived from the lore of a long-forgotten Lupus religion, which celebrated March 3rd, which is the widest day.

I just can't wait for the days to get wider! You seem to fit more in! :blink:

This won't help my waistline. I think this has been the norm for a couple of years at least. Certainly Cadbury's Creme Eggs appear on the shelves on 1st January. I do love mini eggs too. Sorry fasting/vitamin D nutjobs!

Don't do anything cadbury out of principle. ;)