House Price Crash Forum

End The Honours System

SarahBell

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Who is this James Corden anyway? Should I have heard of him?

no not really.

about as relevant as giving barak obama the nobel peace prize before he was president.

mutual back-slapping party for in-breds.that is all.

HOLA444

Who is this James Corden anyway? Should I have heard of him?

ok i was a bit harsh.

james corden is an up "n" coming comedian.

i say up "n" coming in the loosest possible sense, as in most people you see strumming a guitar in hammersmith tube station are up" n" coming rock stars.

HOLA445

I was hoping to be Lord Fartingay, of Bishoip's Bottom, this year! My hopes are dashed, because I don't play sport, and have spent very little time in prison!

HOLA446

On that basis, can I have an OBE for getting a good appraisal at work last April, letting out motorists into traffic on occasions and occasionally donating blood? :unsure:

I'm sure there are more deserving cases in the pipeline than this mediocre comedian.

HOLA447
HOLA448

From what I can gather, from my recent observations, the honours system in this country appears to be an elaborate way of adding letters, either before or after, some sort of attention seeker's name.

This then serves the purpose of warning the rest of society that they should not leave their children unattended or alone with that person.

HOLA449

I was hoping to be Lord Fartingay, of Bishoip's Bottom, this year! My hopes are dashed, because I don't play sport, and have spent very little time in prison!

Never mind, I will dub thee knight. Arise, Sir Pin of Turnip-under-PIddle - go forth and mangel thy wurzels, and dally with thy dairymaid, and slay a few Jabberwocks while you're at it.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I expect Cameron thinks Corden is a bit white van man, useful demographic to get onside in an election year.

That is probably not far from the truth. He doesn't seem to be a political donor in his own name. They may seek to provoke a distractionary row to divert attention from the timeservers and kickbacks who get gongs for doing even less. I see they provide a breakdown on how many are given to women v.s. men each year, so they are keeping a keen eye on that electoral demographic.

I see Mary Quant has got a DBE for Fashion, as Barbara Mary Plunket Greene. She already had an OBE also for fashion in 1966, and seems I will suggest, perhaps uncharitably, to have done very little since beyond designing the interior of a popular small car. I stand to be corrected by those with more knowledge of the field.

HOLA4412

The bar seems to be even lower than suggested...

Mrs Elizabeth Shan Josephine, sole child surviving the 3rd Baron Glanusk has got a DVCO. His title went to a First Cousin on presumably on account of gender, but she inherited the 400 acre country pile in Brecon and later married an Officer of the Royal Horseguards, who was the son of a Tory MP.

Her main accomplishments appear to have been to pop out Tiggy Legg-Bourke the Royal Nanny and Zara Drax, as well as somehow becoming a Lady in Waiting to Princess Anne and the Lord Lieutenant of Powys, no doubt through a fair and transparent selection process, based solely on merit without prejudice on account of race, religion, disability or sexual orientation.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I expect Cameron thinks Corden is a bit white van man, useful demographic to get onside in an election year.

The use of the honours system to garner votes by honouring rock stars etc in the hope that their fans will see the government as "hip" was turned into an art form by Blair/Brown and embraced by their successor, Cameron.

HOLA4416

Quite a few have rejected them...John Snow I think said that if he had accepted his, then it wouldn't make him impartial..

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jan/26/refused-honours-list-download

I really admire the ones who politely turned it down. ThePin applauds modesty, even if you were very good at something!

HOLA4417

On that basis, can I have an OBE for getting a good appraisal at work last April, letting out motorists into traffic on occasions and occasionally donating blood? :unsure:

I'm sure there are more deserving cases in the pipeline than this mediocre comedian.

A "mediocre comedian" should be presented with half a joke from a Christmas cracker! The "comedian" than has to make the other half up, under pain of death! No laughs equals no head! :huh: I'm sure there might be some innuendo there. but I didn't get it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

How I hate confusing abbreviations. Arise Sir Scun of Embra. I couldn't get THE queen, but I've found A Queen that might do the job!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Acronym Finder is clearly crap.

DVCO stands for Digital Voltage Controlled Oscillator.

Humpty Dumpty and "Glory"?

HOLA4424

Humpty Dumpty and "Glory"?

An oscillator in this context is used to make audible tones for electronic music. Voltage control was invented by Robert Moog as a system to control Oscillators, etc. - a step of 1 volt changed the pitch by one octave, in typical designs of a Voltage Controlled Oscillator.

More modern designs still use this analogue method of control, but the Oscillator itself is constructed using digital electronics for greater accuracy and stability.

Hence DVCO

HOLA4425

An oscillator in this context is used to make audible tones for electronic music. Voltage control was invented by Robert Moog as a system to control Oscillators, etc. - a step of 1 volt changed the pitch by one octave, in typical designs of a Voltage Controlled Oscillator.

More modern designs still use this analogue method of control, but the Oscillator itself is constructed using digital electronics for greater accuracy and stability.

Hence DVCO

DISCO?

Archived