House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

What Has Been Your Worst Christmas Present?

Mine were relatively normal this year; socks and smellies - although they were probably trying to tell me something. The worst present I've seen given, was about twenty years ago, where a mad aunt got my dad a rubber triangular doorstop..

Missus comes from a culture where Christmas present giving isn't particularly strong (or at least that's her excuse - although she seems to have taken to the idea of receiving gifts remarkably quickly).

One year I got a tin opener (because I like eating cans of beans apparently) - and that was it.

You should ask Mr Renting! I hope the socks got there on time. What was in them? :huh:

Missus comes from a culture where Christmas present giving isn't particularly strong (or at least that's her excuse - although she seems to have taken to the idea of receiving gifts remarkably quickly).

One year I got a tin opener (because I like eating cans of beans apparently) - and that was it.

I got my mum a chainsaw once, does that count?

Mine were relatively normal this year; socks and smellies - although they were probably trying to tell me something. The worst present I've seen given, was about twenty years ago, where a mad aunt got my dad a rubber triangular doorstop..

You always need a doorstop! At least it's a useful present.

A mad aunt unwittingly (ie obviously never really listening to a word that's said to her) bought me something from a shop I actually owned.

I suppose technically a cash gift albeit tax inefficient.

Many other incidences of thoughtless buying of things that I would obviously stock as well. 'Oo wow a massive set screwdrivers, bought from a competitor, that'll save me having to dip into the thousands of sets of the exact same thing I've already got warehouse and shop shelves groaning with'.

A mad aunt unwittingly (ie obviously never really listening to a word that's said to her) bought me something from a shop I actually owned.

Many other incidences of thoughtless buying of things that I would obviously stock as well. 'Oo wow a massive set screwdrivers, bought from a competitor, that'll save me having to dip into the thousands of sets of the exact same thing I've already got warehouse and shop shelves groaning with'.

I used to get the Reps free samples - the Esso Blue Paraffin single was one of the most memorable

My mum was once given a pedal bin for Christmas.

Did Christmas fit?

I got my mum a chainsaw once, does that count?

How many years left does she have, at Her Majesty's Pleasure?

I was in a business partnership with my dad for a while and one Christmas his gift to me was an extra £100 share of the profits... which I then had to pay tax and national insurance on.

He also frequently used to send Xmas and birthday cards with insufficient postage which would entail a special trip to the sorting office and payment of about £2 to get the card released. Thanks Dad!

Mine will beat you all!

I was given a pizza cutter with a motorbike handle (as I have a motorbike), I was also then given a 'fresh pizza' wrapped up. The pizza was not fresh, but a defrosted frozen Dr Oetker one. I went to eat it the next day as I was doing a buffet for everyone - open the box and it was covered in mould!

Some presents which seemed really lame at the time grew on me. Some oversized boxer shorts from my mum many years ago seemed like the nadir of gifticity, but over time they grew on me, and I grew into them. Prescient. She also gave me a video of "Conspiracy Theory", I had no idea why and which I assumed was some rubbish, but when I eventually got round to watching it many months later, turned into one of my favourite films.

I got some towels from a girlfiend, who I suspect must have sent her secretary to John Lewis to choose something, but I grew to appreciate them too. I had a Canadian girlfriend, who claimed xmas wasn't such a big deal in canada (I wonder) who made me some homemade envelopes out of old magazines.

The presents I usually appreciate most these days is interesting bars of chocolate.

I'm terrible at having to buy presents, and I used to accumulate interesting little things during the year if I saw anything that appealed to me, and one year I gave someone a gift from my box of treasures, and I suddenly realised from the expression on his face, that I had recycled and given him back the present he had given me the previous year.

Some presents which seemed really lame at the time grew on me. Some oversized boxer shorts from my mum many years ago seemed like the nadir of gifticity, but over time they grew on me, and I grew into them. Prescient. She also gave me a video of "Conspiracy Theory", I had no idea why and which I assumed was some rubbish, but when I eventually got round to watching it many months later, turned into one of my favourite films.

I got some towels from a girlfiend, who I suspect must have sent her secretary to John Lewis to choose something, but I grew to appreciate them too. I had a Canadian girlfriend, who claimed xmas wasn't such a big deal in canada (I wonder) who made me some homemade envelopes out of old magazines.

The presents I usually appreciate most these days is interesting bars of chocolate.

I'm terrible at having to buy presents, and I used to accumulate interesting little things during the year if I saw anything that appealed to me, and one year I gave someone a gift from my box of treasures, and I suddenly realised from the expression on his face, that I had recycled and given him back the present he had given me the previous year.

As I think you already suspect...she was having you on.

Chocolate baileys. It's nice, but a bit sickly.

Have read someone says to mix it with real baileys, which I also got a bottle of.

You will be sick!

Aldi multitool. Pointless. I tell people I do not want any gifts but some are unwilling to respect my wishes. Shite xmas ales also featured this year.

Ale is a good thing, unlike lager, which maybe!

I mentioned in my early twenties that I was considering buying a car. Later in the year I decided against it but the damage was done.

I received bead car seat, air fresheners, tool kit.

Most of which got lost in moves between then and the age of thirty when I did actually buy a car.

I mentioned in my early twenties that I was considering buying a car. Later in the year I decided against it but the damage was done.

Most of which got lost in moves between then and the age of thirty when I did actually buy a car.

They thought your car would be unreliable, and smelly? I'm not sure what use a bead car seat is! :o

Weird how they got the wrong end of the stick and mistakenly thought you were a taxi driver rather than a lorry driver.

The worst present I received was from my very own sister around 10 or 11 years ago. It was a nose hair trimmer. Geez, thanks. :rolleyes: That sold quite easily on eBay a year or 2 later. :)

On Christmas she got me a £20 Next gift voucher. Much better, if not quite as brilliant as a £20 note that I can spend in any shop. :D

The worst present I received was from my very own sister around 10 or 11 years ago. It was a nose hair trimmer. Geez, thanks. :rolleyes: That sold quite easily on eBay a year or 2 later. :)

On Christmas she got me a £20 Next gift voucher. Much better, if not quite as brilliant as a £20 note that I can spend in any shop. :D:rolleyes:

I have never met your sister! :o