House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

£59,416 On 4 Rolls Of Wrapping Paper And Gift Cards - Banks Fraud System Fail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2891269/Father-accidentally-charged-59-400-5-94-roll-wrapping-paper.html

An assistant at the Card Factory shop in Birmingham had accidentally arranged for £59,416 to come out of Mr Baker’s account instead of £5.94, when he handed over his debit card and punched in his PIN without checking.

The father of two, 32, complained his Christmas had been ruined as his account was frozen and he was unable to use his card to buy last-minute presents for daughters Eden, seven, and 18-month-old Harriet.

The cable engineer, from Erdington, Birmingham, said: ‘The girl on the till was a trainee. When I first put my card in the machine to pay she said it hadn’t worked and asked me to do it again, so I did. I didn’t think of it any more.’

Wow amazing how well the banks anti-fraud system works! A transaction that shoud never have been authorised unless you are in the 1% league. You would have thought as it made him overdrawn it would have been rejected on that fact alone!

Seems to have slipped through somehow and the chap involved smells compo...

Cue the Daily Mail.....

Bad drills though maybe it will teach him to look at his debit payments a bit more closely..

Usually the banks are up to the mark. On the few occasions I have used my card to purchase motors >£10,000 within two or three minutes the bank or on the phone to the vendor wanting to speak to me and ask security questions to verify. The transaction is halted in verifying until they are happy.

Seems to have slipped through somehow and the chap involved smells compo...

You have to look at the little screen on those things before you put your pin in. Squint at your peril in future. Next time you see some poor blind person stop and swap glasses to ensure she's reading the right numbers, don't you dare hiss! :)

I think they mentioned that the transaction failed the first time. I'm thinking the numbers of his pin are 1600. Cashier puts in 5.94 and then doesn't press enter, passes him the machine and he puts his pin in adding the 1600 to the end of the amount due. Then the transaction fails so he's asked to put in his pin in full again, the amount is now at 59416.00.

Daily Mail comments' collective seem to have little sympathy. Think they're a bit narked his bank will unquestioningly front him a £50k overdraft so have concluded he's not one of us.

I almost gave a 4 digit tip the day before last.

I nearly did this when I took my parents out to a Michelin-starred restaurant for my fathers birthday. I went to pay by debit card, however the server had passed the terminal to me with not the PIN enter screen, but "gravitas" screen. I stupidly entered by PIN, and then it asked for my pin again when I noticed!

This is despite there being cash on the table for the tip, and the card to pay for the meal.

I almost gave a 4 digit tip the day before last.

I was going to post similar about a friend.

I nearly did this when I took my parents out to a Michelin-starred restaurant for my fathers birthday. I went to pay by debit card, however the server had passed the terminal to me with not the PIN enter screen, but "gravitas" screen. I stupidly entered by PIN, and then it asked for my pin again when I noticed!

This is despite there being cash on the table for the tip, and the card to pay for the meal.

Pro tip, change all your pins to be 0001