House Price Crash Forum
bankstersparadise

Chart Of Home Ownership By Age Group......help!

Can someone dig out that nice chart of home ownership rates for different age groups at different ages? I am trying to educate a boomer has no idea what is really happening in the real world. Thanks.

(Ownership level on the y-axis, age on the x-axis and each age group is a different line)

We won't be educated.

I'm only so hot on how house prices are shafting subsequent generations because I've seen how my own kids have struggled far more than I ever did.

We won't be educated.

I'm only so hot on how house prices are shafting subsequent generations because I've seen how my own kids have struggled far more than I ever did.

I think this is right. The only Boomer I've ever met in person who thought house price inflation had shafted the next generation became like that when her 1980s-born eldest daughter started struggling for jobs and housing. Before her daughter left home she was a big fan of HPI and spouted all the usual stuff about young people expecting too much, you have to buy a doer-upper and work your way up the ladder etc etc.

I think one of the reasons the current late 1960s-born generation of politicians (Cameron/Clegg/Miliband) don't really care about housing is that their own children are still at school and so are too young to be experiencing the problem.

I think one of the reasons the current late 1960s-born generation of politicians (Cameron/Clegg/Miliband) don't really care about housing is that their own children are still at school and so are too young to be experiencing the problem.

Even then they will not learn as their children are part of 'the system'. Look at the Blair and Straw children for example. I doubt they'll ever struggle for housing.

http://

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

1 Romania 96.6%

2 Lithuania 91.9%

3 Hungary 90.5%

3 Singapore 90.5%

5 Slovakia 90.4%

6 China 90%

11 Russia 84%

33 United Kingdom 66.7%

of course the older generations own their houses - the clue is in the fact they would have paid off their mortgages (after 25 years)

the price/value of houses has nothing at all to do with it - :wacko:

the born 1973-1978 do not seem that far behind TBH and they are not 'boomers'

looking at where the under 30s are - they would have been struggling to buy during the HPI boom years (1997-2008) - the conclusion is obvious - nothing at all to do with the fact that those who came before were able to buy a house for an affordable amount (which is their only home!)

I think this is right. The only Boomer I've ever met in person who thought house price inflation had shafted the next generation became like that when her 1980s-born eldest daughter started struggling for jobs and housing. Before her daughter left home she was a big fan of HPI and spouted all the usual stuff about young people expecting too much, you have to buy a doer-upper and work your way up the ladder etc etc.

Seeing this all the time most have no foresight and will grudgingly concede only when their own children hit the brick wall, then they develop an attitude towards HPI like that of an ex smoker ,but the addiction is normally lying just below the surface

Just ask them why they don`t share their good fortune (mass of unearned hpi) with there children they look at you like you have grown a second head

of course the older generations own their houses - the clue is in the fact they would have paid off their mortgages (after 25 years)

"Homeowners" includes people with mortgages.

The majority of 30 year olds don't have a mortgage now. In 2002 almost 2/3rds of 30 year olds had a mortgage or owned outright.

Edited by Dorkins

I don't think the chart is based on "own home outright with no mortgage", I think it's based on "owner occupier, with or without mortgage".

Can someone dig out that nice chart of home ownership rates for different age groups at different ages? I am trying to educate a boomer has no idea what is really happening in the real world. Thanks.

(Ownership level on the y-axis, age on the x-axis and each age group is a different line)

Let me guess...its all those youngsters buying a new Iphone every month?!

Thats the funny thing all boomers seem to say...despite me never spending more than about £10 a month on phone credit, my parents say the same thing,..its all the gadgets 'my generation' buy. What they are referring to, I dont know. I have a shitty phone and thats about it. Id guess my dad spent more on records a month than I spent on sound and vision every year...and those things were expensive back then. Boomers had a lot more disposible income whether they believe it or not.

Also needs to be seen in the context of this. Students rent then go on to be more mobile (good thing)

My parents graduated in the 1970s and have been pretty mobile throughout their lives, living and working in several different countries (fun fact: my siblings and I were all born in different countries). When they moved they sold their old house and bought a new one.

the born 1973-1978 do not seem that far behind TBH and they are not 'boomers'

That's not so much of a surprise, houses were still affordable on one wage in the late 90s/very early 2000s (in my area anyway) so someone who hadn't gone to university could probably buy almost regardless of job, even more so if buying with a partner.

My lack of a house/mortgage now seems the norm for my age going on the chart Dorkins posted. Cheered me up a bit!