House Price Crash Forum

You Know You're Getting On When..

DTMark

HOLA441

You know you're getting old when..

1. You feel obliged to make a noise when doing something that requires you to exert yourself. "I'm just.... PICKING SOMETHING UP".. (Thanks for that one, Stephen Fry). It is actually impossible to perform the action silently.

2. You can't think of any gift ideas for Christmas. Because you have all of the things that you can afford. Everything else is too expensive, that being the primary reason why you don't already have them.

3. You burn a CD for the car. Rather than engaging in producing a jewel case and printing it out, you simply write "MUSIC" on the CD.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I'd take issue with (3). You'd either write "NOISY MUSIC" or (as my parents' generation do, impressed by the tech and capable of using it) do a jewel case and colour cover.

(4)The one about policemen getting younger is the shocker; I went through Gatwick aged "only" about 30 and saw two teenagers in police uniform with machine guns. "What the,..." I began to think before it rapidly dawned.

(5) I find myself having to actively fight for "me" time. A Saturday led on my bed reading a book all day is not my wasting the day; I have always found it one of the most enjoyable ways of spending my leisure time. And when I read a decent book I immerse myself in it so am not capable of holding an inconsequential conservation at the same time thank you.

HOLA443
HOLA444

More people are looking younger than older than you.....when you have no desire to celebrate new year or go out partying or clubbing.....when good food,a good book,radio,music, long walks and a good view beats crowds, queues,traffic jams, smogg and shopping.

HOLA445

More people are looking younger than older than you.....when you have no desire to celebrate new year or go out partying or clubbing.....when good food,a good book,radio,music, long walks and a good view beats crowds, queues,traffic jams, smogg and shopping.

Damn, I was a grumpy old twentysomething.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I don't think I have ever liked crowds, queues, jams or shopping[1].

[1] I like mooching round charity shops sometimes. And occasionally a car boot. Oh and jumble sales. Oh wait, I love shopping at those!

HOLA448

I don't think I have ever liked crowds, queues, jams or shopping[1].

[1] I like mooching round charity shops sometimes. And occasionally a car boot. Oh and jumble sales. Oh wait, I love shopping at those!

I loved crowds, people, going places, meeting up,the more the merrier.... Remember when Brent Cross first opened its doors, what a novelty an eye opener, a child in a toy shop..shopping at Chelsea Girl and Jane Norman with the girls, for the latest newest fashions and make up.....now buy the same stuff in the charity shop.....The charity shops have changed, years ago they smelt of old people wee and mould all shoved on a rail, you just wouldn't go there, would have ruined your street cred big time.....not now.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I still am...its just the years that have passed.

My ******** swing like a pendulum! I have just forgotten to wind the mechanism! :o

HOLA4412

You know you're getting old when..

1. You feel obliged to make a noise when doing something that requires you to exert yourself. "I'm just.... PICKING SOMETHING UP".. (Thanks for that one, Stephen Fry). It is actually impossible to perform the action silently.

2. You can't think of any gift ideas for Christmas. Because you have all of the things that you can afford. Everything else is too expensive, that being the primary reason why you don't already have them.

3. You burn a CD for the car. Rather than engaging in producing a jewel case and printing it out, you simply write "MUSIC" on the CD.

For 3), you could have stopped at "you burn a CD for the car. It's all about iPhone leads and Bluetooth connectivity nowadays.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Your eyebrows start to grow again

Oh, God. This is happening to me. And nasal hair.

Is it the case with everyone that when you wake up, you have to get up - I used to lie in for hours, but now, even if I don't feel great, my eyes snap open and I have to get up straight away. With or without an alarm that will always be within about 15 minutes of the same time every day.

HOLA4415

..The charity shops have changed, years ago they smelt of old people wee and mould all shoved on a rail, you just wouldn't go there, would have ruined your street cred big time.....not now.

Never bothered me. Bought some lovely black dungerees from a charity shop in Worcester in about 1986. That's the first thing I remember buying, but suspect it probably wasn't actually the first thing I bought at one.

This shop was a mad cave of tons of clothes. A bit like an exploded jumble sale.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Never bothered me. Bought some lovely black dungerees from a charity shop in Worcester in about 1986. That's the first thing I remember buying, but suspect it probably wasn't actually the first thing I bought at one.

This shop was a mad cave of tons of clothes. A bit like an exploded jumble sale.

Jumble sales...now your talking, first in the queue got the best bargains, used to dive in under all the clothes layered on the trestle tables made more of a mess than when started....had the old pushchair outside the community hall to haul it all home to compare bargains bought with friends.....I think nice clothes were not in such abundance then, didn't have so much choice and were more expensive relative to income,none of the primark and Chinese ten washes max offerings you get today.

HOLA4419

Oh dear! I have just woken up after a cup or Horlicks. Some evil burger has shat in me slippers! :o I'm not in the Navy any more, so I can't have him keel-hauled!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

For 3), you could have stopped at "you burn a CD for the car. It's all about iPhone leads and Bluetooth connectivity nowadays.

That was my first thought too. I had a rep here last week complaining her in car iphone connection thingy wasn't working, this was completely foreign to me. I'm still playing cd's in my car.

HOLA4422

That was my first thought too. I had a rep here last week complaining her in car iphone connection thingy wasn't working, this was completely foreign to me. I'm still playing cd's in my car.

Mine still has a cassette player only....but I have a cassette that plugs in that is linked to a cd player that I put on the passenger seat to play my CDs as required. ;)

HOLA4423

I like cassette tapes!

HOLA4424

I like cassette tapes!

They can't give them away at the charity shop...can't understand why the music sounds the same.....the ones I no longer like can be unravelled to make good ribbon effect decorations or tying gifts with.....I think I also have a couple of 8 tracks around somewhere. ;)

HOLA4425

Archived