House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Renting In The Uk - Share Your Experiences

https://witness.theguardian.com/assignment/5475edebe4b012ac8415b3f4?order=votes_interesting

I could add my own - nutter landlady calls tenants a liar about faulty electrics which weren't fixed for two years..

It's no wonder everyone is scrambling to buy a house - if you rent you are signing up to get screwed. There are exorbitant fees to check in, check out, call references, and now you will even get charged for the landlord to hold your own money as the deposit. That's right, under legislation requiring rental deposits to be held in an approved scheme, landlords using TDS (one of the three services) are able to charge the tenants any amount they like for the privilege of having their money kept by the landlord. You can't buy a house because investors are scooping them up and handing them over to agencies to shaft you for renting them. This system is rigged for people who own too many homes (i.e. more than one).

Edited by Dave Beans

I believe it's worse in the south. However, up north, there seem to be plenty of rental properties around. Certainly possible to drive a decent bargain.

One thing that never fails to perplex me is that if someone buys a house, it is normal to do a lot of homework in advance, for a house that they plan on living in for 5 years or so. But for renting, whilst also expecting to live in it for 5 years or so, many people do little research and take the first place that half meets their needs, without negotiation or homework, and then wonder why they end up getting ripped off.

I believe it's worse in the south. However, up north, there seem to be plenty of rental properties around. Certainly possible to drive a decent bargain.

One thing that never fails to perplex me is that if someone buys a house, it is normal to do a lot of homework in advance, for a house that they plan on living in for 5 years or so. But for renting, whilst also expecting to live in it for 5 years or so, many people do little research and take the first place that half meets their needs, without negotiation or homework, and then wonder why they end up getting ripped off.

On the balance of probabilities, why would anyone expect to live in the same private rental for 5 years?

On the balance of probabilities, why would anyone expect to live in the same private rental for 5 years?

Why not, if it's nice, and good value?

Er, the landlord might have other thoughts? What percentage of people paying their own rent last 5 years?

I suspect we have different experiences due to different parts of the country. In Leeds, I have never been asked to leave a tenancy, it's always been my own volition based on my own needs changing. The longer I've stayed thus far has admittedly been 4 and a bit years... Edited by Si1

I suspect we have different experiences due to different parts of the country. In Leeds, I have never been asked to leave a tenancy, it's always been my own volition based on my own needs changing. The longer I've stayed thus far has admittedly been 4 and a bit years...

I stayed in my private rented place (North Yorkshire) for a good 5 years and I am pretty sure I could have stayed as long as I liked as they gave me a glowing reference.

The quality of rental in and around London is shocking. We had 2 months to find somewhere and had to settle for an ok place but I would expect a lot more for the rent I am paying.

I suspect we have different experiences due to different parts of the country. In Leeds, I have never been asked to leave a tenancy, it's always been my own volition based on my own needs changing. The longer I've stayed thus far has admittedly been 4 and a bit years...

So have I but as commitments increase so does competition. A small family home for under £1000 pm in my school catchment area outside Manchester is like rocking horse shit. It's important not to generalise based upon a sub set of our own experiences where we are somewhat out of the norm renters - vaguely intelligent, aware of rights, resources I. E. Cash to give us an element of security.

The lack of tenure and the competition for value (or even ripped off ones) properties means there is often little time to do research and one can only learn on the job so to speak. I have only kept in this tenancy for 4 years because other landlords have not accepted below asking rent offers or longer AST periods than 12 months. Here, we've been periodic since the end of year 1. I can do that because I know I have money in the bank and can go pick another house tomorrow if I need to. I understand that is not typical.

Previous house, we were evicted after 12 months for the 'accidental' landlord to sell. Hearing recent tales of the same from other people and sharp rent rises in the area too. I am in the process of buying but it is not a smooth process so I may yet still be looking for a new rental.

Edited by 8 year itch

I rented for about five years after STRing, found two great properties with efficient landlords at rents that were well below equivalent mortgages. Made a decision to buy a few years ago, but it was a close call, and I'd have nothing against long term renting, I enjoyed the freedom of it and (given that even though I'm not expecting a crash neither am I expecting any substantial house price inflation) for many people renting is the best choice even if they can afford to buy.

Compared to inside M25, outside the difference in renting is big, Outside SE it's huge.

Rents in E Herts are at 2005 levels.

The 3yr AST is a disgrace. The balance is far too one-sided in favour of L/L but if you can find a sensible L/L (prob not an accdiental one), the experience can be great, as well as financially positive - other than if capital prices keep rising - and long term. Which is of course stability.

3yr leases are available which are vg for families. Seems to me perhaps 1 in 5 properties this is possible or at least for 2 years. Those who sign on for 6 or 12 months then go on rolling monthly should expect to be asked to leave and should not complain. Why do yout think the L/L wants a st lease in the first place?

Edited by Killer Bunny

Renting is like The PAYG of mobile phones 15 years ago. People that can't afford the initial outlay of buying a house still get screwed over with higher short term costs (manifested in admin fees, deposit fees blah blah etc) and poor customer service. Britain's housing model eh.

Accidental flipper/LL wanted to sell up so we jumped before forced recently.

Found new place, a new-entrant BTLer (moving in with partner and renting out vacated house to us). After initially being told that only a 6 month AST was available, we made it quite clear that this was totally unacceptable and got a longer deal (but not as long as we wanted). Having some 20 year old letting agent telling us why a 6 month deal was right for us nearly made me burst out laughing. The reasons given were all about 'covering risks' but I don't see what risks are being covered compared to a longer deal. More about retaining the right to whang you out on a whim. Fook dat.

Letting agent presented contract (this was done after our notice was submitted) which seems to have a few questionable/unenforceable terms, which I plan to contact the OFT about. Got most of the obvious (to my non-expert eyes) removed/amended but it is fairly clear that the original contract is the standard deal offered by this large regional(NW) high street chain of estate/letting agents, auctioneers and valuers. Dunno what to expect via the OFT but the prospect of getting hundreds of contracts amended is enticing.

I think these agents will need watching like hawks, and I intend to do just that. Fortunately I have my LL's phone number so have a direct contact route.

Edit, oh and no deposit received from old place yet, over a month after moving out...

Edited by Joan of The Tower

Edit, oh and no deposit received from old place yet, over a month after moving out...

Well yes, a good response to those who say tenants can demand longer tenancies. The illusion of choice.

I hope you are well on the way to getting your deposit back too, whatever it takes.

Well...I don`t have any complaints.

Me neither.

Annual gas safety inspection done by Council without issue. No deposits, so no deposit issues. Can stay as long as I like (providing I pay the rent of course).

Eligible for Right To Buy

Can decorate, paint walls how I like. Even put in my own choice of kitchen/bathroom (with approval)

Edited by aSecureTenant

£1-1.25m (which is likely extreme high and cld fall £00s of 000s) v £25k pa? Tough one.

E Herts

You may as well be telling us mortals you have a great rental deal on the ******ing Moon.

One wonders what some posters are on bcos it isn't objectivity

The wonkish objectivity of renting million pound houses is pure castles in the sky for most people on this forum and in the real world.

People who don't have that choice, people living where yields are much more competitive, people living where landlords are far more amateur, people living where landlords have no interest in maintaining the physical condition of their asset and no interest in maintaining customer relation because another desperate tenant will be along shortly.

How about £600k v £1600/m

Yeah renting is rubbish

That is a reasonable deal to live in that abstract property.

What percentage of people can afford £1600 per month rent?

That's a 4 bed detached E Herts. Thuggish of u to say abstract.

A professional family in SE easily.

2 good earners sharing lovely home?

Oop North 4 beds are 750-1.3k. Renting so cr4p

The wonkish objectivity of renting million pound houses is pure castles in the sky for most people on this forum and in the real world.

The

People who don't have that choice, people living where yields are much more competitive, people living where landlords are far more amateur, people living where landlords have no interest in maintaining the physical condition of their asset and no interest in maintaining customer relation because another desperate tenant will be along shortly.

I know someone who pays 1500/m and lives C London. Yeah really wonkish cos noone earns 100k in London do they?

Even 2 earning £25k can rent well w/o capital risk.

The argument wld be a nobrainer if HPs were falling. Which some of us suggest has > 50% prob of happening longish term

Edited by Killer Bunny