House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Elderly Neighbour Being Scammed - Update

Have seen one of the kids over Christmas - as we had suspected they were aware. It has apparently been going on a long time - various scams - over the years very large sums have been thrown away. She will not listen to anybody - she is hopelessly addicted. So they are taking the 'nuclear option' - redirecting all mail and replacing the phone with one that will block unwanted numbers. There are probably other measures with finances. Her husband is willingly cooperating with all this.

It is all the more shocking because if you spoke to her in the normal way, you would never in a million years imagine that she'd fall for any of this. Certainly does not come across as some dopey, dotty old dear who's ripe for the scamming.

Have seen one of the kids over Christmas - as we had suspected they were aware. It has apparently been going on a long time - various scams - over the years very large sums have been thrown away. She will not listen to anybody - she is hopelessly addicted. So they are taking the 'nuclear option' - redirecting all mail and replacing the phone with one that will block unwanted numbers. There are probably other measures with finances. Her husband is willingly cooperating with all this.

It is all the more shocking because if you spoke to her in the normal way, you would never in a million years imagine that she'd fall for any of this. Certainly does not come across as some dopey, dotty old dear who's ripe for the scamming.

Would you like to invest in a "timeshare" in Swindon?

As I said on an earlier thread this fraud is of no interest to the UK police. The fact that billions of pounds of money are being sucked out of the UK to the pseudo world lotteries seems to matter not one jot.

However, don't understands why the Royal Mail are allowed to post this stuff from the Canadian lottery etc in the first place. Needs legislation urgently.

Will it pay more than the guaranteed 14% I was promised the other day by a very nice young man on the phone?

Well, Mrs Bear, Mr Pin's "hard question" to these "salesmen", is, if you can make me rich, then why are you not?

Well, Mrs Bear, Mr Pin's "hard question" to these "salesmen", is, if you can make me rich, then why are you not?

Quite. I got sucked into Amway when I was in my early 20's and in the middle of a nervous breakdown. I often questioned why this man, who was working his t!ts off as a tiler, was trying to convince me that I could make money by being involved when he was clearly struggling to make ends meet himself.

Interesting. I don't know if it's something you can discuss with the family, but they ought also to have something in place called a Third Party Mandate on her bank accounts. It means there is a limit on how much cash she can take out of the bank without a relative being with her - this is to stop dodgy builders making her take out thousands of pounds for non-existent jobs. A family member ought to have internet access to her accounts also and keep regular checks on what is going out.

It's basically the last stop before getting Power of Attorney.

Some people are very good at hiding their greed. It sounds like she actually needs help if she is addicted.

Personally, I have found those of a religious persuasion extremely susceptible to scams as they believe they are being blessed by [insert deity here] when offered a too good to be true deal or that their (often financial) prayers have been answered. Seen several friends repeatedly sucked into scams as a result. Often very difficult for a cynical non-believer like myself as, of course, they'll ignore what I say v some grinning snake oil salesman who is apparently a believer.

Interesting. I don't know if it's something you can discuss with the family, but they ought also to have something in place called a Third Party Mandate on her bank accounts. It means there is a limit on how much cash she can take out of the bank without a relative being with her - this is to stop dodgy builders making her take out thousands of pounds for non-existent jobs. A family member ought to have internet access to her accounts also and keep regular checks on what is going out.

It's basically the last stop before getting Power of Attorney.

I gathered that they were taking financial measures - she is hopelessly addicted and will not listen to anybody. It is like someone who has a gambling addiction I suppose - impervious to anybody telling them they are throwing money down the drain, and always thinking that this time, there really will be a million quid, if she just shells out another £400, and another, and another...

I don't think she would be prey to dodgy builders - it's just the lottery scams, and the 'competitions' where you phone in for several minutes at God knows how much per minute.

Some people are very good at hiding their greed. It sounds like she actually needs help if she is addicted.

It's not greed as such. She is basically a very nice person - I have known her long enough to know that. She has actually told her kids that her 'big win' - which she is still convinced will finally come - will be for them, to help them, though they're both in reasonably comfortable circs AFAIK. I honestly wouldn't think she has ever wanted the money for herself.

But yes, she is certainly addicted.

As I said on an earlier thread this fraud is of no interest to the UK police. The fact that billions of pounds of money are being sucked out of the UK to the pseudo world lotteries seems to matter not one jot.

However, don't understands why the Royal Mail are allowed to post this stuff from the Canadian lottery etc in the first place. Needs legislation urgently.

Of course, same with white collar crime and about 90% of what goes on in the city. It requires police to actually engage their brains. Far easier to hassle motorists or throw their weight about in town on a friday night...

Also, funny about the Royal Mail. If website owners are responsible for what is posted on their sites...libel, so called hate-speech etc...even if they are just a delivery method, why arent the Royal Mail legally responsible for the stuff that comes across via the platform they provide

Could it be website owners tend to be small and with little financial clout...the royal mail not so. Cant be, Can it?!

Do we want Royal Mail to be obligated to open our mail before they send it? That's what it would take to make them responsible for the contents...can of worms.

P

You are lucky you don't receive mail from me, like Mr Renting does! Happy Birthday Jesus, BTW! :huh:

Do we want Royal Mail to be obligated to open our mail before they send it? That's what it would take to make them responsible for the contents...can of worms.

P

Interestingly that is the reason Virgin media gave for not wanting to monitor the activity of its users - it would be equivalent to opening every single letter and taking a peek prior to delivery.

I think they caved in the end though.