House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Granny Gives Hug Against Rules Of Social Services Faces 3 Months Jail

Grandmother is arrested at Ken Dodd show and held in the cells... just for hugging her teenage granddaughter: Fury as secretive Court of Protection sentences 72-year-old to three months for contempt

Kathleen Danby, 72, was sentenced in her absence to three months in jail by the secretive Court of Protection in April after a judge heard she embraced the vulnerable girl, 19, against the wishes of social services. In an extraordinary move, she was arrested on Sunday night as she watched the comedian Ken Dodd at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall. On Monday night the grandmother was being held in custody, police confirmed. She is expected to be taken to court Tuesday morning.

I'd love to know the real story behind this. However it seems utterly crazy and beyond reason it's got to this stage!! Still we must all bow down to the power that is social services.

Grandmother is arrested at Ken Dodd show and held in the cells... just for hugging her teenage granddaughter: Fury as secretive Court of Protection sentences 72-year-old to three months for contempt

Kathleen Danby, 72, was sentenced in her absence to three months in jail by the secretive Court of Protection in April after a judge heard she embraced the vulnerable girl, 19, against the wishes of social services. In an extraordinary move, she was arrested on Sunday night as she watched the comedian Ken Dodd at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall. On Monday night the grandmother was being held in custody, police confirmed. She is expected to be taken to court Tuesday morning.

I'd love to know the real story behind this. However it seems utterly crazy and beyond reason it's got to this stage!! Still we must all bow down to the power that is social services.

I expect there is a lot more we are not being told about the case.

in particular, I would like to know more about the role of Ken Dodd.

The real scandal here is that, because this is all done in secret, we'll never know whether justice has been done or not.

If you can't see it, there has not been justice! :blink:

Technically, because this is still an ongoing case, we should not be discussing it. Odd to be in a situation where we should not be discussing a case about which we know virtually nothing.

Over Christmas I heard a story about a couple who had been turned down their request to adopt, IIRC, one child, perhaps it was a brother and sister, that they had been fostering for a few years.

The woman herself cannot have her own children. Attempts at IVF have failed. So the couple decided to foster with the eventual aim of adopting. They love the child/children. The child/children love them.

However, so I was told, allegedly the person in charge of adoptions at the particular social services has decided that the woman is not suitable to be an adoptive parent on the basis that she herself cannot have children. You couldn't make it up could you.

Social workers.

However, so I was told, allegedly the person in charge of adoptions at the particular social services has decided that the woman is not suitable to be an adoptive parent on the basis that she herself cannot have children. You couldn't make it up could you.

Social workers.

Even MrPin can see that's bonkers!

If you can't see it, there has not been justice! :blink:

Yes! If even a glove puppet can figure that out, what kind of people have we allowed to take over our criminal justice system?

I expect there is a lot more we are not being told about the case.

Its the Daily Mail so just apply the technique of assuming that everything they state in the article is in fact the complete opposite and you wont be far from the truth.

Technically, because this is still an ongoing case, we should not be discussing it. Odd to be in a situation where we should not be discussing a case about which we know virtually nothing.

Over Christmas I heard a story about a couple who had been turned down their request to adopt, IIRC, one child, perhaps it was a brother and sister, that they had been fostering for a few years.

The woman herself cannot have her own children. Attempts at IVF have failed. So the couple decided to foster with the eventual aim of adopting. They love the child/children. The child/children love them.

Social workers.

That's such nonsense.

And if they've passed the fostering criteria then they're good people. Or that's the theory.

http://www.bemyparent.org.uk/info-for-families/your-questions/what-happens-if-i-am-not-approved,126,AR.html

I hate to occassionally have to out myself as a flogger and hanger, but contempt of court is something that is usually treated quite firmly by the courts. For obvious reasons. Undermining the authority of the justice system is a bad thing.

That said, if she'd been a 72 year old director or banker, I'm sure she'd have een entitled to the Gerald "temporary Azheimers" Ronson defence.

I hate to occassionally have to out myself as a flogger and hanger, but contempt of court is something that is usually treated quite firmly by the courts. For obvious reasons. Undermining the authority of the justice system is a bad thing.

That said, if she'd been a 72 year old director or banker, I'm sure she'd have een entitled to the Gerald "temporary Azheimers" Ronson defence.

Not the first breach of a court order

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2653442/Secret-court-jails-gran-hugged-granddaughter-Pensioner-sentenced-three-months-disobeying-order-not-teenager.html

The Mail is probably not telling the whole story here though the point about secret courts not offering justice is a fair one

Yes! If even a glove puppet can figure that out, what kind of people have we allowed to take over our criminal justice system?

Duh! The usual elite, of course.

Ventriloquists?

So just to be clear, if you were in front of a kangaroo court you'd happily play along with it so as not to undermine it's authority?

So just to be clear, if you were in front of a kangaroo court you'd happily play along with it so as not to undermine it's authority?

I tend to do things that people who are in a position to tell me what to do, tell me to do. Or accept the consequences.

Kangaroo courts would obviously be a very bad thing, but generally I appreciate the benefit of our police and judicial system to our society, more than most people seem to. I believe we are a toenail clipping away from being the Congo or Mexico, and it is only thanks to our police and justice system that things dont fall apart completely. But it is still mostly crap and there are some parts that are rotten.

I'm a sort of compliant anarchist

I believe we are a toenail clipping away from being the Congo or Mexico, and it is only thanks to our police and justice system that things don't fall apart completely.

I have to say there are certain aspects of the Mexican police system that I actually prefer.

They do much more policing at a local level, similar to the French system. At this level they have more of a live and let live approach to policing as opposed to what I see here as target based letter of the law type stuff. I have also seen local Mexican police in the rougher parts of town just chatting to the kids and getting to know them. The kids seem to better know / trust / respect them as a result.

Then you have the Federales and the Army. You definitely don't **** with them!

I think my only point is, having a Mexican police system here definitly wouldn't be the end of the world. In some ways it might even be an improvement :)

I have to say there are certain aspects of the Mexican police system that I actually prefer.

They do much more policing at a local level, similar to the French system. At this level they have more of a live and let live approach to policing as opposed to what I see here as target based letter of the law type stuff. I have also seen local Mexican police in the rougher parts of town just chatting to the kids and getting to know them. The kids seem to better know / trust / respect them as a result.

Then you have the Federales and the Army. You definitely don't **** with them!

I think my only point is, having a Mexican police system here definitly wouldn't be the end of the world. In some ways it might even be an improvement :)

All of those are good points, but aren't the Mexican cops massively corrupt?

If you arent cop, you are little people

Yes and no on different levels and varying a lot from place to place.

Until not long ago it was generally pretty easy to get away with bread and butter offences like speeding by chucking the officer a fiver. That is pretty corrupt, but probably isn't a massive deal. It was also largely discretionary and if you were being genuinely dangerous they' throw the book at you instead.

Then you have local government corruption, possibly in collaboration with local police chiefs. This tends to be in smaller cities where the top figures all meet socially as well as through work. This was the kind of corruption that led to the killing of the students recently and is probably the most insidious.

Then you have the systemic corruption. Like a guy I knew was allegedly told (by the government officials) to import his goods illegally because doing it "by the book" was too expensive and was really just to tax large multinationals.

Having said all of that, corruption is on the decline there and most places feel very safe. Safer than some places in England in fact. Most of the issues and violence are between cartels and rarely impact on ordinary citizens. This is nothing to do with corruption though, this is the result of having a drug war going on in your backyard.

Other people may have different experiences. This is what I saw in the North West there.

If the girl has increased behaviour problems after meeting family, it could well be that she is missing them. The opposite of what social services are implying.

If the girl has increased behaviour problems after meeting family, it could well be that she is missing them. The opposite of what social services are implying.

That's the excuse they use to break contact altogether. There's something really, really evil going on here and in many other cases.

If contempt of court is to be enforced then a court has to be 100% guarenteed to never do anything to deserve it. If that isn't the case (which of course it isn't) then it merely becomes an excuse for bullying down criticism, which is about as far from justice as you can get.

When it comes to this story the Daily Mail filter applies.