House Price Crash Forum
silver surfer

Brick Stocks At All Time Low

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/11312278/UK-housing-crisis-brick-stocks-hit-record-low.html

Brick stocks at all time low, brick prices rising at 8.8%.

I guess this must nudge up new build prices (I wonder what percentage of the cost of a house is represented by bricks?), at least until fresh capacity can be brought on stream.

16500 bricks per 3 bed house, 250 bricks per pack, 66 packs, £161.00 per pack = £10691 inc vat

That's all off the internet... so it could be wrong. :)

Edit : inc vat.

Edited by XswampyX

I remember seeing a news item where people were being laid off from their jobs making bricks. Shouldn't we just keep on making bricks and building houses and ignore what the f***wits are doing in the city?

16500 bricks per 3 bed house, 250 bricks per pack, 66 packs, £161.00 per pack = £10691 inc vat

presumably that's 'retail' prices. The big HB'ers will get industry sized discounts I'm guessing - and so those prices will be be even lower.

That said it has been a long time puzzle for me why, in this modern day and age, we continue to build (or even outer 'clad') our dwellings in such an ancient way and technology?

Yeah yeah yeah I know that brick has a lot of virtues but, seriously, there must surely be some material(s) that are cheaper to fabricate, just as durable, energy efficient and, crucially, less labour intensive to assemble into a dwelling structure ???

presumably that's 'retail' prices. The big HB'ers will get industry sized discounts I'm guessing - and so those prices will be be even lower.

That said it has been a long time puzzle for me why, in this modern day and age, we continue to build (or even outer 'clad') our dwellings in such an ancient way and technology?

Yeah yeah yeah I know that brick has a lot of virtues but, seriously, there must surely be some material(s) that are cheaper to fabricate, just as durable, energy efficient and, crucially, less labour intensive to assemble into a dwelling structure ???

Bricks are a good compromise.

Depending on what you're building, there are better construction techniques.

Unforturnately, the building trade is pretty unskilled; most labourer's are functionally illiterate. It takes many years of showing people the job before they pick it up.

Bricks are a good compromise.

Depending on what you're building, there are better construction techniques.

Unforturnately, the building trade is pretty unskilled; most labourer's are functionally illiterate. It takes many years of showing people the job before they pick it up.

Agreed about bricks being a pretty good compromise. It's just that it seems to me, that alternate more modern techniques and materials for house construction have never seriously been pushed for - in large part no doubt due to the ridiculous planning laws.

The comment re: 'general' labourers I might not disagree with but......

I wouldn't call bricklayers unskilled per se. Being able to lay, accurately and consistently, at the rates they do does take some learning surely?

Similarly what other skills go into assembling a house? Electricians? Plumbers? etc. Those surely qualify as 'skilled' ?

Edited by anonguest

Companies will just restart some kilns that were shut down And or use up spare ccapacity To increase production. As for putting bricks on lorries from Europe and container ships that would be mad I think leading to expensive bricks.

Maybe in other countries they might store bricks and transport all over the place but they aren't difficult to make just a bugger to transport.

1, Why use bricks?

2, Why not import them? Surely they're cheaper to import from Poland or somewhere with a lower cost base?

I smell BS propaganda and it's not even January yet.

Aye early bird and all that ..my prediction will be a BTL rampathon for the next twelve month ..gotta get hold of them pensions and leverage em up a bit

Joy for Brick Owners as Brick Prices Soar.

One man, with a portfolio of four bricks, said that he had seen gains of thirty percent in the previous twelve months. "Can't go wrong with bricks", he added.

Aye early bird and all that ..my prediction will be a BTL rampathon for the next twelve month ..gotta get hold of them pensions and leverage em up a bit

I'm with you on that prediction. I reckon this years rampathon and propaganda fest will be many times greater than last years. We should start a thread posting up 2015's photos of Cameron and Milliband dressed as estate agents and builders posing with fake FTB'ers. Over the last year they've made Kim Jong look like an ammeter.

I do not have any detailed knowledge on bricks. But since this is the season of speculation I feel the need to spout off anyway.

Bricks - ingredients : Clay. How do you get the clay ? Did it out the ground. Major cost : energy. Then you have to bake it. Major cost : energy. So since the cost of energy is going down, the cost of bricks might go down as well.

The issue of importing bricks I reckon is a more difficult one. For example, in many cases in the UK not only do you have to import bricks, but a particular type/colour of brick. For example in the cotswolds we have nasty yellow ones, approximately the colour of chicken korma. So unless these import bricks are of exactly the right colour the uber nimbies will declare them non suitable.

Brick stocks at an all time low

Maybe the brick manufacturers don't believe the politicians "promises" to double/treble house building in the next Parliament.

Or maybe they do and are creating a shortage.

Whatever it is it seems the 5 year plan for house building stands every chance of falling at the first hurdle - and it's a handy excuse for the politicians.

Immediately after the election expect a letter landing on the next Prime Minister's desk with the message "There's no bricks left".

Edited by billybong

2, Why not import them? Surely they're cheaper to import from Poland or somewhere with a lower cost base?

From what (little) I know of the economics of brick manufacturing, it isn't even a national business, it's actually a regional business, with brick production being dotted around the country. That tends to suggest,

-optimum scale economies are achieved at relatively low levels of production

-transport is an important chunk of total manufacturing costs

From what (little) I know of the economics of brick manufacturing, it isn't even a national business, it's actually a regional business, with brick production being dotted around the country. That tends to suggest,

-optimum scale economies are achieved at relatively low levels of production

-transport is an important chunk of total manufacturing costs

Or maybe that the chicken korma type clay that is found to make cotwolds bricks is found in ..... the cotswolds !

Which is very similar to this article, with the same quote, and several others: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/10948326/Michelmersh-warns-brick-shortage-will-hit-housebuilding.html

"Every brick we can make is being sold straight away. I am seeing the lowest brick stocks in living memory across the UK"

Gotta keep the supply myths rolling.

Which is very similar to this article, with the same quote, and several others: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/10948326/Michelmersh-warns-brick-shortage-will-hit-housebuilding.html

"Every brick we can make is being sold straight away. I am seeing the lowest brick stocks in living memory across the UK"

Gotta keep the supply myths rolling.

Cant be difficult making bricks.

If there was such a supply shortage with capital hunting around for profitable business to invest in with low barriers to entry someone would be jumping at the chance.

If there was such a supply shortage with capital hunting around for profitable business to invest in with low barriers to entry someone would be jumping at the chance.

Just the usual.

Plenty of land with nearby transport links, chimneys (less necessary with modern techniques), kilns, labour etc and suitable clay preferably nearby - and planning permission and all the other regulations and red tape.

Brickyards2.jpg

Edited by billybong

It's even less difficult and more profitable if you can catalyse manufactured demand and higher prices by getting the same or similar articles put out repeatedly.

Exactly. What is the invisible hand not working in regards to brick manufacturing, I wonder! ^_^

So all those bricklayers from Portugal at £1000 a week (telegraph article earlier in December) have arrived and don't have any bricks to lay.

Edited by billybong

thats soooooo last century though!

we should be innovative here and start using supersize lego as housing bricks!

much cheaper,and faster to produce en masse.

plus you don't have trouble with shoddy builders and crap pointing.