House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Any Good Free Simple Mpeg Editor Software?

Want to take a collection of assorted short family video clips shot on a digital compact camera (all in 640x480 resolution and varying in duration from ~10secs to few min length) and be able to individually edit as desired and then seamlessly combine in to single larger clips - the ability to add brief on-screen titles or descriptions (e.g date and place) at various points in the clips being a welcome bonus.

After that plan to then convert said created large movie files (mov/mpeg/mp4) into standard DVD video player format (i.e convert them so they can be played on a normal DVD player hooked up to a TV, just like a movie).

Microsoft used to, IIRC, include something called Movie Maker in the high end versions of WinXP that would do the first of these tasks? Certainly doesn't seem to be included in Windows7 Professional.

Any recommendations on any possible FREE downloadable reliable/safe software that can do these basic tasks. No other frills required.

TIA

Ohhhhhhh! Ta. I'll check it out.

....and do you possibly have any any recommendations for software that can than be used to create a TV watchable DVD from single (large) movie clips ?

Windows DVD Maker - I think this version works in Windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4730

If not try this;

http://www.windows-dvd-maker.com/windows-dvd-maker.html

Again 'Oh!'. Never occurred to me that Microsoft might now be offering these tools/apps for free. Looks like these two will do the job as described. Many thanks.

I think they fear more EU anti competitive fines re what happened with Internet Explorer - it is a shame as these are two good basic tools that would suit millions of people and save them spending money buying third party apps.

But MS has them to download for free but just does not publicise it.

If you want to spend a little, I highly recommend Sony Vegas Movie StudioHD 11

It's £20 which is quite good value. And you can learn all the basics from youtube.

I just got go pro type camera for recording my mountain biking exploits and use windows movie maker for editing them. It's a bit clunky but for editing several clips together its pretty good and most importantly simple to use. It comes as part of windows essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/essentials

I just got go pro type camera for recording my mountain biking exploits and use windows movie maker for editing them. It's a bit clunky but for editing several clips together its pretty good and most importantly simple to use. It comes as part of windows essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/essentials

You didn't read the other posts did you? You just wanted to tell us about your new camera! :lol: Go on there, tell us.

You didn't read the other posts did you? You just wanted to tell us about your new camera! :lol: Go on there, tell us.

I didn't no :D

I've been using Windows Movie Maker to put together tunes + cover shot for YouTube. Works fine, does what it says on the tin, familiar MS ease of use style interface.

I think I had to download it. On Windows 8.1 it shows as "Windows Live Movie Maker".

+1 for Movie Maker. Have a couple of legit copies now on laptops I've bought with legal copies of w7 but it always worked fine on w7loader versions of Ultimate! :P