House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will!

New's Years Eve

Firstly, I'd like to say that I hope you all had as lovely a Christmas as I did. I spent it surrounded by the people I hold most dear, filled with the festive spirit and full of goodwill towards all mankind.

There is, however, a cloud on the horizon...

I absolutely hate New Year's Eve. It is the ultimate amateurs' night; full of people who don't seem to know how to have fun but think maybe they'll manage it if they force themselves to drink as much as they can as quickly as they can. They fail and end up crying, fighting, vomiting, hypothermic and / or annihilated long before the stroke of midnight.

Almost every pub and bar is packed to the point where service is terrible. There's often an extra charge to get in the door.

Night buses and trains are like zoos. Minicabs are usually well priced up, but I don't begrudge them that for what they have to deal with.

So, what are your plans for New Year's Eve? Staying in? A few civilised drinks with some good friends? That's the right answer.

I think a lot of people don't like it - all that build up and expectation, all that forced jollity, and it's so often a let down.

Mr B and I have sometimes got last minute theatre tickets on NYE - we've found we can usually get tickets for virtually anything in the West End. First did it when elder daughter went off to her first grown up NYE party and we took the younger, about 12, to see The Woman in Black. Brilliantly scary, and home in time for a glass of fizz at midnight.

Luckily, my daughter is pregnant and I have been invited around to her house (I am a widower).

I have arranged to buy some venison and we will cook it and have a fine meal in the company of my daughter, son in law and grand daughter.

My wife died soon after New Years Eve in 2008 from a sudden heart attack aged 56, at the same time my 96 year old father survived one.

Understandably, Christmas and NYE is not popular in our family, although I suppose that my son will be out raising hell.

For me, new years eve is just another day in the relentless "calendar of organisation" with stories and suggestions about how we should live our lives throughout the year!

Here in D&G the forecast is for low night temperatures and frost with daylight sun and no wind for the next few days. Great! Hopefully I'll be having days out in my camper van and walking with my two dogs.

Oh yeah, it's that time of year again. Have promised myself I'm not going out for the sake of it. If nothing truly appeals, I'll stay in.

I figured out that NYE was amateur boozer night in my teens. I'm 35 now and don't think I've gone out to a pub/club etc. on New Year's Eve for about 15 years. Went out to Central London on NYE 1999, got about as far as Blackfriars before hitting a wall of people, and missed the 'River Of Fire' because I was lighting a fag at the stroke of midnight.

Only time I've been out since was 7 years ago, we went for a curry which was fine, been going to the same restaurant for years and know the owner. Other than that it's home or round the in-laws for the last 11 years. Apparently there's a vague plan of a lads poker night at a mates this year while his wife goes round my in-laws with my wife (I know him through her) so that might be fun if it happens.

Still, one of the best teenage parties I ever went to was a NYE one, held at the house of a friend's nan who had died that year; they'd more or less emptied the house prior to sale but not yet flogged it. A couple of hundred's quid's worth of damage was done by pissed up teens (not me) but in general it was a roaring success!

Just spent six hours yesterday with vomiting virus! I'll not be paying extra money to get into a crowded pub to do more vomiting! Mind you I am of a mind I might still be infectious on NYE, so I might get some fun out of the pub after all, watching evryone else vomit.

Just spent six hours yesterday with vomiting virus! I'll not be paying extra money to get into a crowded pub to do more vomiting! Mind you I am of a mind I might still be infectious on NYE, so I might get some fun out of the pub after all, watching evryone else vomit.

That'll teach you for drinking beer from the bottle. Next time, stick to drinking Champers from a white stiletto.

That'll teach you for drinking beer from the bottle. Next time, stick to drinking Champers from a white stiletto.

How about a black Doctor Marten shoe! It holds the liquid better, and comes in bigger sizes! My friend Janey wears them. Doesn't go well with her flowery dress, and makes her look like off-duty plod! I always want to do something "naughty" so I can get arrested!

New Year's Eve?

I shall spend a few hours listing those who are on this site and who apparently have no friends....

Add me to the list.

I'm not doing anything but I'll be watching the locally run fireworks at midnight as I have done for the last couple of years.

Think the last time I stayed up to see in a new year, was in the early 1980s.

Early 90s for me but same sentiment.

I mark with a few drinks the winter solstice (Dec 21st) as the day that the year turns and the days start getting longer with summer on its way :)

Then onto Christmas which is an excellent few days.

If I had an entirely free hand (I don't...) NYE would be an absolutely standard weekday evening for me and I would happily work Jan 1st in return for a day off in the summer when I actually want it. I'm certainly working Friday.

Many people I work with have a whole fortnight off at Christmas; which is fine by me. Now I can understand it if you have kids as they're on holiday too but I find it strange that some people without kids want it. How much TV beer and food do you actually want?

Early 90s for me but same sentiment.

I mark with a few drinks the winter solstice (Dec 21st) as the day that the year turns and the days start getting longer with summer on its way :)

Then onto Christmas which is an excellent few days.

If I had an entirely free hand (I don't...) NYE would be an absolutely standard weekday evening for me and I would happily work Jan 1st in return for a day off in the summer when I actually want it. I'm certainly working Friday.

Many people I work with have a whole fortnight off at Christmas; which is fine by me. Now I can understand it if you have kids as they're on holiday too but I find it strange that some people without kids want it. How much TV beer and food do you actually want?

It's just about having a break Frank.

It's just about having a break Frank.

A break???? You can have a day off when you die!

I've had to take the time at previous companies (too far to travel back or office closed) and think that there are few things more dull than a wet cold December 29th or 30th when you reread the TV guide for the umpteenth time in the hope that it may have changed in the half hour since you last read it so that there's now a programme on that you actually want to watch.

The added benefits of working these times is that you get to catch up with your work without interruptions or people giving you new work, you get to go home early and have a chat, and you can play the martyr "No, no days off for me, I'm working all of it :( ". When secretly you're :) .

New years eve has always been an anticlimax ......a load of gaudy fireworks and sparkle less .....but now you can choose to spend it where you want to be, but at the same time share it with millions of others.....Happy New Year, one and all. ;)

The added benefits of working these times is that you get to catch up with your work without interruptions or people giving you new work, you get to go home early and have a chat, and you can play the martyr "No, no days off for me, I'm working all of it :( ". When secretly you're :) .

'The Martyr'... One of my favourite roles.

I usually stay in or go to a small house party so this year I'm mixing it up a bit and I'm going out. Haven't decided where to yet but have had some interesting invitations. I'll decide today, maybe. Fed up listening to myself complaining about the anti climax of NYE so this year I'm going to make it a sociable, frivolous and happy one :D

I think from about 16 to 24, new years eve's parties were fantastic, the highlight of my year. Since then, generally chronic anti climax. I probably haven't been out for the last decade.

Probably only ever two great occasions post-24, with a handfil of close mates in a small local pub, one time somewhere in greenwich, one time in the sticks somewhere.