House Price Crash Forum
kjw

Nigel Farage: Ukip Leader Named 'briton Of The Year' By The Times

Nigel Farage has been named Briton of the year by The Times, which hailed his game-changing politics.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-named-briton-of-the-year-by-the-times-9946110.html

Someone please stop the world, I want to get off!! :rolleyes:

In the way that the Times has tackled the topic, Farage probably does deserve it. Russell Brand was also a contender.

I have not read the article, but a glance at the sections highlighted in the text suggest quite an anti UKIP slant.

Read the Twitters.

Mainly the left are in a flat panic over this. "Racist , fascist etc. etc."

Problem for them is that they are dinosaurs and calls of racist etc. are so 1980's.

Cons and Libs seem unfussed.

But coming on top of the disastrous news for Labour from Scotland, the left looks as if it is going to sink without trace.

One explanation might be that it's normal for meanspiritedness and racism to increase in hard times and Ukip are tapping into this. The failure (or complete unwillingness) of the 'establishment' parties to address poverty is pushing those at the bottom into the arms of those who offer scapegoats.

So, to look after yourself and your own people is 'mean spirited and racist?'

Why do the left always fail to address the problem and choose some high falutin answer?

Farage is popular because he addresses the problems, the left is in the rubbish bin because they are up their own asses with political dogma and have no interest in listening to the people.

I don't think Farage addresses the problems, the psychology behind populism is always fairly straightforward. Populist appeals generally don't offer a set of policies to solve existing problems (they do offer policies, but that's simply window dressing). Instead they offer a target group to blame for existing problems - and merely getting rid of this group's influence is therefore assumed to magically improve society via addition by subtraction.

It does annoy me that UKIP are described as an 'anti-establishment' party. They don't advocate abolition of the monarchy or unilateral nuclear disarmament, and they certainly don't stand up for the socially and politically excluded. Their 'unique selling point' is that they reject traditional electoral strategies of trying to entice small sections of the 'middle ground' in favour of coming out and saying what they think. Radical, eh? Essentially, this is one of the few things that differentiates them from wide swathes of the Tories, much of whose policy and opinions UKIP share as a party (if not all their voters).

I personally find UKIP repellant, but people have their reasons for voting for them, and that is all part of politics.

I personally find UKIP repellant, but people have their reasons for voting for them, and that is all part of politics.

What's repellent about giving us a vote on whether to stay in the EU, or wanting to control who can come into the country to live and work?

http://

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30726499

David Cameron will refuse TV debates if Greens excluded

UKIP leader Nigel Farage said the PM was "running scared", and called him a "chicken" on Twitter.

Mr Farage claimed Mr Cameron was using the Greens "as an excuse" not to have a debate with UKIP, and said the debates should go ahead without him.

Edited by billybong

On 28/12/2014 at 11:36 PM, kjw said:

I don't think Farage addresses the problems, the psychology behind populism is always fairly straightforward. Populist appeals generally don't offer a set of policies to solve existing problems (they do offer policies, but that's simply window dressing). Instead they offer a target group to blame for existing problems - and merely getting rid of this group's influence is therefore assumed to magically improve society via addition by subtraction.

It does annoy me that UKIP are described as an 'anti-establishment' party. They don't advocate abolition of the monarchy or unilateral nuclear disarmament, and they certainly don't stand up for the socially and politically excluded. Their 'unique selling point' is that they reject traditional electoral strategies of trying to entice small sections of the 'middle ground' in favour of coming out and saying what they think. Radical, eh? Essentially, this is one of the few things that differentiates them from wide swathes of the Tories, much of whose policy and opinions UKIP share as a party (if not all their voters).

They are anti estabilshment, that doesn't mean they are commies.

This is hardly surprising given Brexit. The lefties hate him because they don't really have an answer to him, that's why they resort to trying to make out he's a liar and a racist. I didn't vote Brexit by the way.

On 29/12/2014 at 11:59 AM, SpewLabour said:

What's repellent about giving us a vote on whether to stay in the EU, or wanting to control who can come into the country to live and work?

Was that thier only policy?

On 12/27/2014 at 9:59 PM, R K said:

Makes sense. Murdoch hates Britons with a passion.

..Fox News in the US treat him as a hero ..Sky here different...the Times different as Remainers....the Sun is Brexit... .Murdoch always plays both sides of the coin.....:rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Apart from achieving what he set out to do in reality the award might just have been for resigning as leader of UKIP making it difficult to maintain the party's momentum perhaps making it easier for the main parties going forward.  Of course they wouldn't say thanks for resigning in making the award.

Edited by billybong