House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Free Schools’ Failure To Attract Pupils Is Creating Educational Crisis, Says Labour

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/dec/27/free-schools-failure-attract-pupils-crisis-labour

The government’s flagship free schools programme is creating an unnecessary educational crisis with more than four-fifths of those opened this year having failed to attract enough pupils to fill their classrooms, the shadow education secretary, Tristram Hunt, has claimed.

Hunt said the controversial independent schools were opening in areas where there were already enough school places, leaving those that lack capacity still under-resourced.

The findings come as a result of freedom of information request submitted by Labour to the 79 free schools that opened last year. Of the 69 that responded, just 12 were full while the remainder – 83% – had 2,564 unfilled places among them.

The FoI figures revealed that the Discovery School in Newcastle opened with only a third of its planned pupil numbers, the Harris Academy in Tottenham, north London, opened with 58 pupils, rather than the planned 240, and the Trinity Academy in Lambeth, south London, opened with 15 pupils when it had planned to admit 120.

A Department for Education spokesman described the figures as misleading, adding that it was “normal for any new school to take time to establish itself”.

I wonder what's happening to all the money these schools are getting? Still it appears teaching in these schools is an easy gig.

Weird considering there are constant articles in the news about how there are not enough school places and schools have huge classes etc. I guess people don't want to have to travel to get their kids into school and want a school on their doorstep?

Weird considering there are constant articles in the news about how there are not enough school places and schools have huge classes etc. I guess people don't want to have to travel to get their kids into school and want a school on their doorstep?

Or a school whose teachers are qualified?

Nah round here people drive their kids miles to school. Judging by the traffic news difference between term and holidays I'd say everyone does.

This is our local free school.

http://collectivespirit.org.uk/oldham/

The council don't like it as they got given the huge patch of land that they were planning to build a luxury housing estate on.