House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spanman

Facebook The Newest Member Of The Mpc

Maybe they should have just tuned into HPC. I reckon 2004/5 would have been a good time to do so. Maybe then they might 'have seen it coming.'

A director at a brewery I used to work for would often cite the amount of empty beer cans on the side of a nearby road to where he lived as a an indicator of brand strength of a particular west midlands mild.

Narcissism tends to be more pervasive the higher up the food chain you go.

'Big Data' - I'm surprised it isn't done already.

For just one example, Facebook and Twitter is monitored for words like vomit, diarrhoea etc to help the NHS plan for outbreaks of winter norovirus.

Quite a good example to choose

Edited by LiveinHope

I just took it for granted that mining social media was in place :unsure:

I did think this comment was interesting.

“Mr Haldane told Sky News that the Bank was already using new data sources, including a massive "big data" database on mortgages, which helped them decide to impose their new constraints on the housing market earlier this year”

Social media is just people saying things, it is not what people actually do. For example, my landlord is on social media and forums exclaiming what a wonderful, compassionate and regulation abiding LL they are. The reality is considerably different (with documented court cases to prove it). Mortgage data may be a slower form of information than social media but is more reliable as it shows what actually happened.

Fair enough for collecting opinions though I’m not sure how much I would trust the validity of the mined info or the BoE interpretation.